American Express offer

50 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Does the credit get applied right away?

No. You’ll get a email right away that you’ve redeemed the offer if you have one charge over $500. If you’ve made multiple charges that add up to $500 or more you usually won’t get that email but either way the credit will post when your billing statement is ready.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Buy yourself some OBC

I thought about that but I already had nearly $1000 OBC (much of it non-refundable) that I haven't used up yet. Is purchased OBC always coded as OBR?

Another strategy I was thinking about was cancelling some shore excursions booked with OBC and then rebook using Amex.

We buy literally everything with our Gold cards, and my hubs company IT, he makes pretty big purchases sometimes, servers etc so our points do rack up quickly, but we haven't paid to fly in about 20 years!  Partner was Continental for years and then Delta now.  That's our main perk with AMEX, we wouldn't think of not using it all the time.  We have gotten some of these deals from time to time, but we love the frequent flyer miles!🥰

On 6/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, rudeney said:

Dang!  No offer for me!  I have a regular AMEX Gold card and have been a member for 40 years now.  Ugh!

That's why we have 3, gold, clear and Delta. Got different benes with the different cards but I can't say cuz hubs takes care of all that.  I just book the flights!  And cruises.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

That's why we have 3, gold, clear and Delta. Got different benes with the different cards but I can't say cuz hubs takes care of all that.  I just book the flights!  And cruises.

I use a minimal number of credit cards.  I have an AMEX gold card, and a BestBuy-branded Citibank Visa card, plus a few other store cards (Home Depot, Lowes and NTB).  Everything besides my AMEX is used strictly for "xx months no interest" purchases.  The only reason I chose the BestBuy as Visa card as opposed to a store-only card is because without at least one Visa or Mastercard issued by a major bank (Chase, Citi, BofA, CapOne, etc.) you take about a 50-point hit on your credit score.  And I probably spend more money at BestBuy than any other store, except maybe Home Depot!

3 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Now I am sad. Just yesterday, I paid just over $500 final payment for a September cruise. Wasn't due quite yet .. just wanted to take care of it.

Or prepay gratuities.

1 hour ago, exm said:

Or prepay gratuities.

Good suggestion, but already have paid for prepaids.

I noticed in the terms and conditions, it specifically says "one or more transactions on cruise reservations" and says it does not apply to onboard purchases. I don't recall whether the previous Amex offer was that specific (I've done the $125 off $500 and $350 off $1500 before). Would certainly have felt better to have used for final payment, but perhaps there is still a way.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:32 AM, doppelganger2621 said:

It just occurred to me I hadn’t prepaid my gratuities so those are hanging out there. If I do a $500 charge with the expectation of using for gratuities and I have OBC leftover, can I get that back in cash? 

Use a different card for on board account.  Then any left over will go back to another card.

3 hours ago, cfabar1 said:

I have the Amex offer.  Unsure whether to bite given the fact economy is on verge of collapse, but it would be nice to get next cruise on a discount.

Yeah, I'd wait until the economy collapses and things will be cheaper then.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:50 PM, Seville2Cabo said:

Why do people have multiple American Express cards?  Just curious. 

We gave ours up years ago, saw no value. 

Besides the platinum i have the other ones because they had good welcome bonuses and they’re only still open because they have no annual fee.

i usually get the RCL offers but don’t have this one on any of my cards

I added a couple of authorized users thinking maybe I could stack the offer on their cards if it was there but after I added them I was reading one of those points bloggers and they said only 1 offer per card even if there are authorized users.  He even said only one per person so if you applied for a different type of Amx card (ok maybe I did that too😇) it wouldn't be available.  Oh well.

I never did get a confirmation email when that charge hit my card

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I added a couple of authorized users thinking maybe I could stack the offer on their cards if it was there but after I added them I was reading one of those points bloggers and they said only 1 offer per card even if there are authorized users.  He even said only one per person so if you applied for a different type of Amx card (ok maybe I did that too😇) it wouldn't be available.  Oh well.

I never did get a confirmation email when that charge hit my card

The AU needs to have a separate login.  The offers are one per SSN (across multiple cards) or one per login.