Oasis class to Voyager class...

Hi-We really LOVE Oasis class ships but we want to do the Voyager Canada and New England this coming Sept. 

We are pretty easy going cruisers so I know that Oasis and Voyager can't be compared, but just wondering if anyone has sailed on both classes of those ships and were happy with Voyager.

Just now, motheroftwocats814 said:

Hi-We really LOVE Oasis class ships but we want to do the Voyager Canada and New England this coming Sept. 

We are pretty easy going cruisers so I know that Oasis and Voyager can't be compared, but just wondering if anyone has sailed on both classes of those ships and were happy with Voyager.

If this is you first non-Oasis class cruise, you might feel like a bunch of stuff is missing at first, but since you identified yourself as "easy going", I think you'll be fine.

Going on a ship that doesn't even have a promenade might be a different story. Having started on Voyager 20 years ago and mostly working my way up to Oasis-class, anything smaller feels claustrophobic to me but of course many people enjoy the smaller ships as well.

6 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

If this is you first non-Oasis class cruise, you might feel like a bunch of stuff is missing at first, but since you identified yourself as "easy going", I think you'll be fine.

Going on a ship that doesn't even have a promenade might be a different story. Having started on Voyager 20 years ago and mostly working my way up to Oasis-class, anything smaller feels claustrophobic to me but of course many people enjoy the smaller ships as well.

We have cruised smaller ships on other lines like Norwegian. So smaller ships don't really bother us. We haven't cruised since February of 2020 and don't think we want to wait over a year for our sailing on the Wonder. Plus, we live in suburban Boston so this ship is in our backyard. 

We were on Adventure in March. I was worried after sailing on Ovation and 3 Disney ships, that it would be boring. We are pretty easy going as well. We found that we loved Adventure! We went on Allure in May, and while we did truly enjoy the Oasis class ship.... we are still considering Voyager for one of our next cruises to book.

• Like 1

We're on Voyager Oct. 2nd.  We've never sailed on anything larger than Freedom class, so I can't help you compare to an Oasis class, but there are a few things about Voyager of the Seas that some people don't like.  One is the lack of restaurants.  It only has three specialty venues: Cops, Giovanni's (not Jamie's) and Izumi (no hibachi).  There's no Hooked, Playmakers, Sorrento's, El Loco Fresh or Johnny Rockets like you'd get on its sister ship Navigator.  Another is the balconies.  They are not as large as other ships in its class, and the openings are very slightly obscured as they are cut out of the hull in large ovals instead of being full "corner to corner" rectangular openings.

I've been on all of the classes now and it really depends on what you like to do. Obviously if you like the boardwalk and central park and aqua shows and the extra restaurants then you're not going to find those on anything else. 

That being said I think the sweet spot is in-between the voyager and freedom class. The centrum ships are nice and all but I like the promenade flow. Quantum and Oasis just seem too big with too many offerings and sort of lose the cruise feel to me due to the pax numbers and distinct "zones". 

18 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Ships without a promenade is when they start to feel small.

• Like 1

Oasis definitely has more entertainment options but I love voyager class sailed voyager once and sister ship navigator 3 times . I personally don’t care for ships smaller than voyager but I love voyager class. 

53 minutes ago, motheroftwocats814 said:

We have cruised smaller ships on other lines like Norwegian. So smaller ships don't really bother us. We haven't cruised since February of 2020 and don't think we want to wait over a year for our sailing on the Wonder. Plus, we live in suburban Boston so this ship is in our backyard. 

You’ll be fine then. Have a great cruse!

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

We're on Voyager Oct. 2nd.  We've never sailed on anything larger than Freedom class, so I can't help you compare to an Oasis class, but there are a few things about Voyager of the Seas that some people don't like.  One is the lack of restaurants.  It only has three specialty venues: Cops, Giovanni's (not Jamie's) and Izumi (no hibachi).  There's no Hooked, Playmakers, Sorrento's, El Loco Fresh or Johnny Rockets like you'd get on its sister ship Navigator.  Another is the balconies.  They are not as large as other ships in its class, and the openings are very slightly obscured as they are cut out of the hull in large ovals instead of being full "corner to corner" rectangular openings.

"What ya gonna do, when they come for you?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, death_star said:

That being said I think the sweet spot is in-between the voyager and freedom class. The centrum ships are nice and all but I like the promenade flow. 

There is no class between Voyager and Freedom, and Voyager does have a Promenade.  Basically, Freedom was built as a stretched Voyager (by about 100ft) and then they added a few extra features like the cantilever hot tubs.  

2 hours ago, death_star said:

I've been on all of the classes now and it really depends on what you like to do. Obviously if you like the boardwalk and central park and aqua shows and the extra restaurants then you're not going to find those on anything else. 

That being said I think the sweet spot is in-between the voyager and freedom class. The centrum ships are nice and all but I like the promenade flow. Quantum and Oasis just seem too big with too many offerings and sort of lose the cruise feel to me due to the pax numbers and distinct "zones". 

Quantum isn’t that much bigger than Freedom in length or gross tonnage.   Whereas quantum is 11kGT bigger than Freedom, Oasis is near 60k bigger than Quantum in GT.  

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I think you've gotten your classes mixed up.  Voyager class DOES have the Royal Promenade -- it was the first class that did.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I think you've gotten your classes mixed up.  Voyager class DOES have the Royal Promenade -- it was the first class that did.  

No, I just either wrote it poorly or you misunderstood. I’m aware that Voyager has a Promenade as it was my first ever cruise for my honeymoon & new-ish at the time.

Dropping below Voyager, which I’ve only done twice, was a big difference to me & I wasn’t a fan, which was my general point. Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

There is no class between Voyager and Freedom, and Voyager does have a Promenade.  Basically, Freedom was built as a stretched Voyager (by about 100ft) and then they added a few extra features like the cantilever hot tubs.  

Right I was saying it was either class, since they have the same layout. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

I THINK he was implying that Voyager would be good as it has  promenade but a ship without might be a different story. Of course, it is always possible that I THINK wrong.😊

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I THINK he was implying that Voyager would be good as it has  promenade but a ship without might be a different story. Of course, it is always possible that I THINK wrong.😊

Yeah, this. Glad someone understood. 🤣

• Like 1

We've sailed both classes.  While we prefer the larger ships, we enjoyed Voyager, and would sail her again.   

There are few ships sailing NE.  That is our 2nd favorite area to cruise, after AK.  We would sail any RCI ship to cruise NE.

9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

😂 I was gonna ask him if that was on purpose because he called it cops on another thread too. And if it is on purpose, fill me in on the inside joke please 😂

No inside joke  - just crappy typing skills!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, I just either wrote it poorly or you misunderstood. I’m aware that Voyager has a Promenade as it was my first ever cruise for my honeymoon & new-ish at the time.

Dropping below Voyager, which I’ve only done twice, was a big difference to me & I wasn’t a fan, which was my general point. Sorry for any confusion.

Gotcha, I see it now.  

And I agree -- Voyager class is the smallest I like, too.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Gotcha, I see it now.  

And I agree -- Voyager class is the smallest I like, too.

I agree. We did a sailing on Serenade and had a great time but I much prefer V class and larger. When my mother is along she is really disappointed not having a Royal Promenade...and I am too.