Bring Euros?

BeeSkip

8 hours ago, milling73 said:

Luv2travel: czech republic does not use Euros. We changed planes in Frankfurt, withdrew 300 euros at a Banco ATM. (Which endedup being $309 dollars from our bank account). Then at Prague hotel there is a machine similar to ATM. We put in 50Euro bill and it gave us equivalent in czech corona i think called. Do not get much Czech money because most purchases can b credit card. Capital One does not charge foreign trandaction fee, so we always use it. Check ur credit card, some charge 3-5%. Get card that doesnt charge foreign use fee for trip. Use cc, u will get best rate and dont have worry about change or if paying right etc. we used the czech money we had for ice cream, small purchases n tip to maid. 

Budapest is same. They use Hungarian money. They will accept euros but u will pay so much more in the exchange. Use ur cc. 
Most other countries on our cruise now use Euros. Many Public bathrooms are pay attendant. Or coin needed. 

Good advice, Milling73. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Especially in the Czech Republic... be very weary of using a ATM that isn't in a actually bank. Use one in your hotel at a minimum. ATM money changing is one of their biggest scamming problems. Not to mention the criminal activities that are the taxis.

I frankly would try to stay this course with  all ATM activities while abroad. 

Actually, I use ATMs regularly while travelling. I have not had any issues so far.  I look for ones associated with a bank, but if I am unsure where to find one, the staff on the boat, or one of the guides, can help out with locations.   If you are just looking for change (ie: coins in exchange for bills), ask at the front desk - they can often help.

I find the exchange rate using an ATM is good (better than at a currency exchange) and I don't have to carry a load of cash around with me. Some banks (ie: in Budapest) offer money in more than one currency (I found ATMs that offered a choice of euros or forints).

Also, not sure about your bank, but my main bank has articulation agreements with a number of banks around the world - so I can use their ATMs without an extra fee.

Fran

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 2:36 PM, KathyK13 said:

We will be taking a Christmas Markets cruise on the Danube, visiting Budapest before embarking in Vienna.  I'm curious about using credit cards at the Christmas Markets stalls.  Has anyone encountered stalls where cash was required? I know most markets were closed the last 2 years; our trip has been postponed twice.  So things may be different this year.  I will be bringing Euros left over from our last trip, but trying to figure out how many Florints we should get once we arrive.  TIA!

Christmas 2021 we were one of the very few Americans visiting Christmas markets in Germany--primarily Berlin, Lubeck and Hamburg. My recollection is that credit cards were widely accepted at the markets. It was awesome as people were so happy to see (a few) tourists back. Also, I think every market we went to had an ATM, so I would not worry much about bringing enough cash. They'll be happy to see you!

On 7/2/2022 at 1:36 PM, KathyK13 said:

We will be taking a Christmas Markets cruise on the Danube, visiting Budapest before embarking in Vienna.  I'm curious about using credit cards at the Christmas Markets stalls.  Has anyone encountered stalls where cash was required? I know most markets were closed the last 2 years; our trip has been postponed twice.  So things may be different this year.  I will be bringing Euros left over from our last trip, but trying to figure out how many Florints we should get once we arrive.  TIA!

In Vienna and other Austrian markets in 2018, I went to several markets and I used cash mostly. I was also in Salzburg and the Lake Districts. I don't remember having a choice. Though a lot of what I got was food related.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, Geezer Cruiser said:

Is it true the cash is still required in much of Germany, and that in the Netherlands,  only local debit cards are accepted in many places?

On 9/22/2022 at 9:56 PM, mapsd said:

No & No

I’m sorry but this is not correct for the Netherlands.  While MOST places in the Netherlands do accept Visa and Mastercard (almost nowhere takes Amex) there are some places that require either the local debit card (Maestro) or Euros.  Some restaurants are like this, and some stores (like local grocery and convenience stores).  We ran into this issue a couple of times and were thankful that we had Euros on hand to pay for our meal.  It was towards the end of our trip and we had gotten lazy about asking before we sat down it they accepted Visa/Mastercard.  They did not.  

I highly recommend Wise.  You connect your US bank account to it and transfer funds instantly for free.  They offer amazing exchange rates and you can covert in and out of currencies directly from their app any time you want.  Your then store the funds in that currency in the app.  You can either use their card (Mastercard) to make purchases using the funds you have in that currency or you can do an ATM withdrawal.  I was in the Netherlands recently and it cost me $0.02 to do a 100 euro ATM withdrawal.  Very easy to use.  I generally use my Chase Sapphire Reserve card for the majority of my purchases because the rate isnt horrible and I like my points, but we always like to have local currency on hand and using a local ATM with Wise is extremely easy and cost efficient.

https://wise.com/us/card/

7 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

I generally use my Chase Sapphire Reserve card for the majority of my purchases because the rate isnt horrible and I like my points

We use a Chase Sapphire card to make pre-travel reservations, mainly because of the travel insurance benefits plus lack of forex mark-ups but have been disappointed when trying to use the points earned.  Even though the points are worth ~$1.25 when booking through Chase's travel desk, the value-oriented options for air (EasyJet, Ryan Air e.g.); lodging (small 3*/4*single-site local owners); and rental cars (local operators with good reviews) are generally not available.  We'd rather spend less per trip and take more trips.  Because the options that are available seem to be marked-up 25%+, we often end up using websites like Agoda and AutoEurope.

FWIW, we have never tried to book a river or ocean cruise using points.  Having used Cruis#Comp#t# multiple times, we have found several responsive TAs that provide competent services, consistent with their forgoing part of their commissions to provide fare discounts and/or OBCs.

YMMV  

Edited by hihandycap

On 10/10/2022 at 5:55 PM, hihandycap said:

We use a Chase Sapphire card to make pre-travel reservations, mainly because of the travel insurance benefits plus lack of forex mark-ups but have been disappointed when trying to use the points earned.  Even though the points are worth ~$1.25 when booking through Chase's travel desk, the value-oriented options for air (EasyJet, Ryan Air e.g.); lodging (small 3*/4*single-site local owners); and rental cars (local operators with good reviews) are generally not available.  We'd rather spend less per trip and take more trips.  Because the options that are available seem to be marked-up 25%+, we often end up using websites like Agoda and AutoEurope.

FWIW, we have never tried to book a river or ocean cruise using points.  Having used Cruis#Comp#t# multiple times, we have found several responsive TAs that provide competent services, consistent with their forgoing part of their commissions to provide fare discounts and/or OBCs.

YMMV  

We never use the Chase portal to book anything, I transfer the points to travel partners.  I generally send them to United (which is a star alliance partner) or Air France, British Airways, Emirates etc, they have an amazing selection and all the miles are almost always valued at more than 1 cent each.  I then book business class tickets for DW and I and essentially fly free in business class on any of our Europe, Asia and beyond trips.  If you plan in advance and are flexible in travel dates its not uncommon to score a business class seat for 45,000 or so miles and that can be earned from 1 cruise booked on the card ($10,000 equates to 30,000 points).

3 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

"...I generally send them to United (which is a star alliance partner) or Air France, British Airways, Emirates etc, they have an amazing selection and all the miles are almost always valued at more than 1 cent each. "

We have had generally the opposite experience, having used what are now United Mileage Plus miles out of IAH since working in the '80s in South America and accruing Eastern miles--(Lorenzo combined Eastern's routes/assets with the old TransTexas/Texas Air as part of Continental which in turn subsequently merged with United).  In our experience, Mileage Plus offers relatively few "mileage" seats on international routes even through Star Alliance airlines; and, when we do the calculation comparing buying tickets using credit cards versus using miles, rarely are the miles valued at or above $0.01/mile. 

We do transfer unused Sapphire points to Mileage Plus when the cards expire (it takes four years on the sidelines to be re-eligible for the new Sapphire card bonuses.)  Chase's United Explorer card is a reasonable alternative in the interim years with decent travel insurance and lesser new card bonuses. 

On 10/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, hihandycap said:

We have had generally the opposite experience, having used what are now United Mileage Plus miles out of IAH since working in the '80s in South America and accruing Eastern miles--(Lorenzo combined Eastern's routes/assets with the old TransTexas/Texas Air as part of Continental which in turn subsequently merged with United).  In our experience, Mileage Plus offers relatively few "mileage" seats on international routes even through Star Alliance airlines; and, when we do the calculation comparing buying tickets using credit cards versus using miles, rarely are the miles valued at or above $0.01/mile. 

We do transfer unused Sapphire points to Mileage Plus when the cards expire (it takes four years on the sidelines to be re-eligible for the new Sapphire card bonuses.)  Chase's United Explorer card is a reasonable alternative in the interim years with decent travel insurance and lesser new card bonuses. 

This is definitely not the case, I’m not sure how you are looking for booking these, but if your are planning in advance (this isnt meant for last minute travel) I have never had any issues finding space.  We are going to London for a cruise in May.  1 way trip in business class is $2,750 for us, it cost me 75,000 miles, which is $0.037 in value per mile.  I can still book this today using miles.  This is also a Star Alliance booking as the trip is flying on Brussels Air metal.  

"This is definitely not the case, I’m not sure how you are looking for booking these ..."

"Different strokes for ...."  We generally reserve the cruise/DIY land extensions about a year in advance to take advantage of early bird savings--occasionally ~6 months later if flash sales offer exceptional value.  We then begin monitoring the air pricing (both in miles and using credit cards), and usually commit for "economy" seats several months before travelling internationally, depending on the pricing trends. We also include in our "miles vs CCs" calculations the airport taxes and fees that are in addition to the miles (which likely have a bigger weight for economy seats compared to business class). 

We depart shortly for an Emerald cruise on the Douro with an extension on Madeira.  Because of our exchange about different experiences, out of curiosity we re-checked our arrangements, comparing pricing using United Mileage's Plus miles, Sapphire' Ultimate Reward points, and credit cards.

To illustrate, our planning has been to return from Madeira to Porto on 11 Nov.  TAP (TransAirPortugal) is a Star Alliance partner that operates daily multiple non-stops between FNC and OPO and one-stops through Lisbon.   We used 11,696 Sapphire points on 22Sep to pay the $146.20 for 2 one-way non-stop tickets.  {One-way because EasyJet had a better non-stop schedule between OPO & FNC). 

United's Mileage Plus' awards site for 11Nov now shows NO seats available. (TAP's site shows economy seats on two non-stops available for purchase.)  For 12 Nov, United's awards site shows only Business Class seats [55,000 miles + $37.60 for 2 tickets]; for 10 Nov. there are non-stop economy seats available, but only on red-eyes [departing midnight or 04:30 am--17,600 miles + $37.60/2 tickets]

The lodging and rental car options through Chase's travel desk also appear to provide superior values compared to using United's award miles for the identical arrangements. We do not have "Premier" status and tend to use individual bookings for flexibility rather than "bundling" different components of a trip. Our disappointment with Chase has been its breadth of associations with the more value/discount-oriented operators like the short hop no-frills airlines, rental car company aggregators like AutoEurope, short term rentals such as BnBs or offerings on the newer booking apps, etc.

We are not asserting our anecdotal experiences are more representative than yours, but they definitely have been different.  Since most of the travel industry tends to use dynamic pricing, much depends on the timing of, and the amount of time spent, shopping/comparing. 

Enjoy your travels.