Bring Euros?

BeeSkip

Hello....Should we get some Euros prior to leaving the states?  I know you can obtain them from ATMs once there...I was wondering if it is easier just to have some to start off the trip for convience.  We will be doing 2 days prior in Amsterdam before the Rhine Getaway..Any opinions/experience with this?  Thanks in advance.

By the way, it is very exciting to think that we are FINALLY doing this river cruise and getting back to traveling....YAY !!

Bee

• Like 2

Second your recommendation for the Schwab debit card. You just have to plan ahead a little because they won't let you withdraw the funds for 3-4 business days after you deposit them. So either keep a balance in the account to allow for withdrawals, or plan ahead a little bit.

And I also won't pay the exorbitant exchange rate to get currency ahead of time here. For Europe we always have a few Euros lying around from the last trip. But my stash is quite low after I went on a spending spree in Italy last week - and used up most of what we'd brought. Will have to replenish our supply on the next trip.

ETA: one other tip. Watch out for dynamic currency exchange! It's come to ATMs in the last few years too. If they offer to bill you in your home currency, decline. The exchange rate is always worse.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

I agree with not buying euros in the states.  Our credit union ATM card (it's a Visa and on the Pulse network) is what we've always used.  You'll be able to use cards for most of what you need or want -- just do the travel notification like you should for any cards.  When you use an ATM, look for one that is owned by a bank.  Be familiar with the names of the banks in country.  If I know I want to get some euros first thing, I'll review the information on the airport I'm arriving at and see where ATMs are located in the terminal I'll be arriving at and if there are bank ATMs.  I also go to the airport maps and see where they're located.  Some of the ATMs in the airports are linked to currency exchanges and don't have the best rates.  If we wait until we leave the airport,  we'll do a google maps search for ATMs close to our hotel. Something else to consider is setting up Apple Pay (or Google Pay) and practice using it before you leave home.  Even if your credit/debit card is not chip enabled you can use the secure touch technology in the App.  As mentioned above, if given an option to pay in euros or dollars, always chose euros for a much better exchange rate. 

• Thanks 1

It very much depends on individual circumstances. I live in a big city where it is reasonably easy to get foreign currency at fairly good rates. In addition, unlike some Americans, I don't have cheap access to foreign ATMs. While my bank doesn't charge me a fee to use the ATM (but they don't reimburse me if the owner of the ATM has a charge), they tack on a 3.5% foreign exchange fee, on top of the Visa exchange fee. So I hardly ever use foreign ATMs. I keep any Euros that I bring back; for most other currencies I try to use it up, but I have a collection of small amounts of assorted currencies.

15 minutes ago, caripoo said:

And unlike some here, we never leave home without some to start.

Oh look honey... I just found a 20 euro note in my jacket pocket. Guess we will need to book another river cruise so we can use it! 😋

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

On 6/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, marieps said:

I just open a Charles Schwab checking account specifically for overseas travel.  It's an unreal deal.

Do you use the card as a credit card for purchases also?  I'm wondering if it's worth it for just the few times I would be getting cash...

On 6/18/2022 at 8:55 AM, marieps said:

I just open a Charles Schwab checking account specifically for overseas travel.  It's an unreal deal.

We did too, once we learned CS does not charge foreign conversion fees on ATM withdrawals and also credits back ATM use fees.  CS also credited back an attempted ATM withdrawal that we cancelled in FRA's in-transit terminal, but that the German bank network had charged anyway even though it had not dispensed any Euros.  (The machine was out of receipt paper, so we had no proof other than a withdrawal of the exact same amount from a more reputable bank network's ATM by a nearby gate shortly afterwards, and our prompt filing of a dispute when both amounts appeared on our account--which is easy to check using the "interwebs."

Chase Sapphire offers good travel credit cards -- no conversion fees and among the best "free" travel insurance benefits. (No 1st year fee on Sapphire Preferred and attractive new card incentives.)

Edited by hihandycap
mis-spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KathyK13 said:

Do you use the card as a credit card for purchases also?  I'm wondering if it's worth it for just the few times I would be getting cash...

I do not use it for purchases. I suppose you could in a pinch but using a debit card as a credit card can eliminate many of the protections that you get from a credit card.

They are really good with the Forex rates. I check every time and they are within pennies of the bank exchange rate, and they refund the ATM fees very reliably. It's almost impossible to beat.

Is it worth it? For me, it is. I also have BoA which charges no Forex fee at foreign ATMs within its network, which does cover a decent amount of countries, but not enough to cover everywhere we want to go. It took some work to get that perk, as they usually add 3% Forex fee even within network. So now that is competitive with Schwab, IF you can find the right bank in the right country.

But I still will keep the Schwab card. We actually each have a card for the same account, which is handy if you're in a place where there is a low limit on withdrawals. It's free and there's really no disadvantage to having it. The cards stay in my "travel" wallet. When we go overseas I pull out the travel wallet and add a few other cards, grab our appropriate foreign currency stash for the country/countries we're visiting, and we're off.

28 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

But I still will keep the Schwab card. We actually each have a card for the same account, which is handy if you're in a place where there is a low limit on withdrawals. It's free and there's really no disadvantage to having it. The cards stay in my "travel" wallet. When we go overseas I pull out the travel wallet and add a few other cards, grab our appropriate foreign currency stash for the country/countries we're visiting, and we're off.

Schwab has a terrific bill pay service on their website, and a terrific App, in addition to the ATM refunds, so we ditched our bricks and mortar bank and use only Schwab.  Direct deposit, check deposit through the App, bill pay scheduled on my computer the day the bill arrives (to pay the day before it's due).  I considered setting up a second checking account for travel, but their 'Satisfaction Guarantee' says I'm protected against any bad stuff.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KathyK13 said:

No, We have Capital One Quicksilver for that.  No foreign transaction fee and 1.5% cash back.  Our domestic card is 2%.

32 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

The AARP Mastercard from Barclays also has no foreign transaction fees as well.

To add,  we used to use our Cap One Quicksilver card overseas all the time, but summer of 2020 they arbitrarily reduced our limit from 15K to 5K.  We always pay off our full balance.  When I questioned it, the answer was that too many people were defaulting on their payments--BUT WE WEREN'T!!  The company had to reduce its risk, at my expense.

I stated that we needed a high credit line in case we had to purchase airfare because of an emergency.  They told me, a good customer, 'too bad'.

So on a recent trip to Canada, the Barclays card got heavy use and the Cap One card stayed in our wallets.

What a great way to treat a reliable paying customer!

CPT to a certain extent your absolutely correct and in the well traveled parts of Europe cash may even be frowned on even a card in some places is used for the conveniences. (Just imagine a Frenchman using the ubiquitous pissour trying to find his card what would the local gendarmerie say, oh La La) Because of my health challenges I don’t get out much so using my cards and on line banking  is absolutely normal but this weekend we’re spending at a waterways festival lots of little booths etc so cash is needed although not in all cases. So wherever you are in Europe a small amount of Euroes would be useful especially for tips I don’t think it’s deragure to pay those with a card.

Spelling please excuse and we’ve still got euros left from our Nivernais trip but will keep as in sure we will be in Europe ( 🤔) again.

10 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I wonder how much longer we will need to have these discussions about the best way to get cash. It seems that Europeans may have moved to a largely cashless society. https://www.frommers.com/blogs/arthur-frommer-online/blog_posts/european-vacations-went-cashless-fast-are-you-prepared

Excellent point. At home, I almost never use cash, but usually have a few $20's in my wallet, just in case. The biggest adjustment I'm having to make is getting used to tapping my Apple Watch rather than taking a card out of my wallet to tap.

Definitely agree re using ATMs...just a few other points.

We go to Europe often enough that we keep any extra Euros in an envelope at home for the starter money for the next trip.

Re ATMs, we have a Chase account that pays our ATM fees so not an issue for us, but if that is not the case for you, think carefully about taking out enough cash so you are not hitting the machines more often than necessary. 🙂

As others have noted, credit card acceptance is more prevalent with every trip!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 9:44 AM, gnome12 said:

It very much depends on individual circumstances. I live in a big city where it is reasonably easy to get foreign currency at fairly good rates. In addition, unlike some Americans, I don't have cheap access to foreign ATMs. While my bank doesn't charge me a fee to use the ATM (but they don't reimburse me if the owner of the ATM has a charge), they tack on a 3.5% foreign exchange fee, on top of the Visa exchange fee. So I hardly ever use foreign ATMs. I keep any Euros that I bring back; for most other currencies I try to use it up, but I have a collection of small amounts of assorted currencies.

Just wondering who you bank with in TO?  We bank with Scotia, and they have articulation agreements with many overseas banks - so we can usually get money out while travelling * without*  incurring ATM fees.   Also, Scotia has just come out with a Passport Visa, and there are no foreign transaction fees!!  We just got one - in anticipation for our upcoming trip in September.

Fran

2 hours ago, franski said:

Just wondering who you bank with in TO?  We bank with Scotia, and they have articulation agreements with many overseas banks - so we can usually get money out while travelling * without*  incurring ATM fees.   Also, Scotia has just come out with a Passport Visa, and there are no foreign transaction fees!!  We just got one - in anticipation for our upcoming trip in September.

Fran

I bank with TD. I just switched back to an Aeroplan Visa, so I’m not particularly interested in the Passport Visa. I use a Home Trust Visa for foreign currency transactions. I’m not certain whether that is the best choice, since it offers no benefit except no foreign transaction fees, but I don’t want another card that I have to pay for. 

We will be taking a Christmas Markets cruise on the Danube, visiting Budapest before embarking in Vienna.  I'm curious about using credit cards at the Christmas Markets stalls.  Has anyone encountered stalls where cash was required? I know most markets were closed the last 2 years; our trip has been postponed twice.  So things may be different this year.  I will be bringing Euros left over from our last trip, but trying to figure out how many Florints we should get once we arrive.  TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a 14 day cruise with several extra days on each end. We used our credit card almost all the time. The only pounds we spent were for tipping. We got about $50 worth of florints for 3 days in Budapest and would have been able to use a credit card for almost all of the expenses. I think we spent about 10 euros other than tips. Everything else went on our credit card. 
We keep a supply of euros since we travel to Europe frequently. 
Fellow passengers were unable to withdraw funds from the ATM. They had failed to notify the bank they were traveling. We have found a lot of ATMs have a maximum withdrawal of 200 euros.