Bring Euros?

BeeSkip

We also always keep euros on hand, as we visit countries that use this currency frequently. As a matter of fact, I purchased $1000 usd worth of euros yesterday when the rate dropped so low against the dollar. I'll just keep it in my mad money drawer and draw on it for the next few trips as they come up. 

We like to hit the ground with some local cash in our pockets for any country we are traveling to.  Love it for small purchases, street vendors, tips.

• Like 1

And to piggyback on your question, we're doing a 3-day pre-cruise in Prague and adding one extra post-day in Budapest - both cities that don't use euros. Some people have said we can put everything on our credit card, but I worry about things like tips, farmer's markets, and public toilets. Should we get some florins and Czech crowns? Any thoughts on how much we'd need?

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Budapest for 2 days pre cruise and one day after boarding. We managed to spend $50 worth of florins but everyone would have taken a credit card except for one taxi driver (he would have taken euros) and a tour guide that we had prearranged to pay in euros (all her company’s tours were priced in euros).

I cashed in 40 euros that I hadn’t spent on the Germany part of my last trip for crowns and found that I was having to force myself to use them the last day vs putting things on my card. Except one tour guide who I really needed smaller bills (it was just me and her and she was fine making whatever ama had paid her with no tip) it was never an issue in Prague. In Pilsen o. The way there it was somewhat of an issue as the pizza place I wanted didn’t take card. 

I went to WF to buy some Euros and Pounds for my sister who is leaving for Europe soon (as a gift). They quoted me 2 weeks to get it.

Previously - before COVID, I could go to WF and get most currencies on demand. I got some in March and it took 48 hours. Now it is taking 2 weeks. My sister was leaving in 12 days so I ended up not taking the chance

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I went to WF to buy some Euros and Pounds for my sister who is leaving for Europe soon (as a gift). They quoted me 2 weeks to get it.

Previously - before COVID, I could go to WF and get most currencies on demand. I got some in March and it took 48 hours. Now it is taking 2 weeks. My sister was leaving in 12 days so I ended up not taking the chance

We just bought some from WF about 10 days ago. We were told 2-3 days, but it took 6 days. When we picked them up, we were told there is a heavy demand so I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes 2 weeks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

We just bought some from WF about 10 days ago. We were told 2-3 days, but it took 6 days. When we picked them up, we were told there is a heavy demand so I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes 2 weeks.

I went earlier this week. They said that the time had just increased drastically. They indicated several who ordered money didn't get it in time for their trip. I ended up declining as I didn't want it to come in late and just gave my sister US cash. I think she was leaving in 12 days when I went in. Here I thought I had plenty of time. Irritated that I used to be able to get common currency just by walking up until COVID.

Edited by Coral

10 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I must admit in the U.K. instead of just walking into the bank and exchanging for Euros directly as we always used to they had to be ordered. Never has that happened since the Euro was introduced. Seems weird.

For USA residents, the main reason is the favorable exchange rate. Second reason could be increased travel with lightening of Covid test requirements.

Yes I must admit if you want a few pounds and I suppose a few dollars worth you’ll get them over the counter but if you want hundreds then ordering is the only way. We were off to the wilds of France not the usual place to find a card reader. Plus yes the exchange rate is challenging.

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

I must admit in the U.K. instead of just walking into the bank and exchanging for Euros directly as we always used to they had to be ordered. Never has that happened since the Euro was introduced. Seems weird.

A Brexit consequence? 😄

9 hours ago, milling73 said:

We used ATM for withdrawal of Euros once here. Exchange rate is best. Be sure to have coins for bathrooms. Few are free. Most take 1 Euro coin. 

Thanks for the info about coins for the bathrooms. We'll be flying into Prague for a pre-cruise visit. Will we be able to get/use euros there or will we need to use crowns? We'd love to be able to just get one type of currency, but don't want to be locked out of bathrooms!

1 hour ago, CastleCritic said:

Prague is going to be crowns for sure.

Also the "coins to use the bathroom" isnt universal, even in the same country.

Not sure I used the public bathrooms in Prague but I want to say they are free...

Some are free, many are not. Best to have coins, 5 or 10. 
Apparently, there is a new initiative for free pee. Look for this sign -

AE782A53-714A-476A-A64E-FFA8BE5A6674.thumb.jpeg.55c851846fd766bef3c74ea4bd6945fd.jpeg

On 6/28/2022 at 8:33 AM, caripoo said:

And unlike some here, we never leave home without some to start.

This is our practice as well. Goal is to arrive home with about 50 - 100 euros, including coins and small bills (for tipping soon after arrival).

Luv2travel: czech republic does not use Euros. We changed planes in Frankfurt, withdrew 300 euros at a Banco ATM. (Which endedup being $309 dollars from our bank account). Then at Prague hotel there is a machine similar to ATM. We put in 50Euro bill and it gave us equivalent in czech corona i think called. Do not get much Czech money because most purchases can b credit card. Capital One does not charge foreign trandaction fee, so we always use it. Check ur credit card, some charge 3-5%. Get card that doesnt charge foreign use fee for trip. Use cc, u will get best rate and dont have worry about change or if paying right etc. we used the czech money we had for ice cream, small purchases n tip to maid. 

Budapest is same. They use Hungarian money. They will accept euros but u will pay so much more in the exchange. Use ur cc. 
Most other countries on our cruise now use Euros. Many Public bathrooms are pay attendant. Or coin needed. 

I was in Prague/Czech Republic for three days and never used the local currency. Before I ate any meal, I confirmed I could pay with my CC. Anything else (tips) I paid in euros. I bought 90 euros of craft jewelry from a craftsman on the Charles bridge. His prices were expressed in euros and the local currency.

Edited by PhD-iva
Typo

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I bought 90 euros of craft jewelry from a craftsman on the Charles bridge. His prices were expressed in euros and the local currency.

I have to ask... Did you compare the difference and was the exchange  appropriate?  Currently it is 24.50 konuna to 1 Euro. On the street I might accept a 22-23 to 1 exchange but I've watch fellow travelers consider what would have  been a 18 to 1 exchange before I offered up the Koruna they needed. Just a cautionary tale. 

3 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I have to ask... Did you compare the difference and was the exchange  appropriate?  Currently it is 24.50 konuna to 1 Euro. On the street I might accept a 22-23 to 1 exchange but I've watch fellow travelers consider what would have  been a 18 to 1 exchange before I offered up the Koruna they needed. Just a cautionary tale. 

I just checked and the fx rate was at 23.5. Even if this was a little low, you also have to remember that I did not pay any transaction fees to convert into and out of the local currency.

2 hours ago, milling73 said:

Luv2travel: czech republic does not use Euros. We changed planes in Frankfurt, withdrew 300 euros at a Banco ATM. (Which endedup being $309 dollars from our bank account). Then at Prague hotel there is a machine similar to ATM. We put in 50Euro bill and it gave us equivalent in czech corona i think called. Do not get much Czech money because most purchases can b credit card. Capital One does not charge foreign trandaction fee, so we always use it. Check ur credit card, some charge 3-5%. Get card that doesnt charge foreign use fee for trip. Use cc, u will get best rate and dont have worry about change or if paying right etc. we used the czech money we had for ice cream, small purchases n tip to maid. 

Budapest is same. They use Hungarian money. They will accept euros but u will pay so much more in the exchange. Use ur cc. 
Most other countries on our cruise now use Euros. Many Public bathrooms are pay attendant. Or coin needed. 

Especially in the Czech Republic... be very weary of using a ATM that isn't in a actually bank. Use one in your hotel at a minimum. ATM money changing is one of their biggest scamming problems. Not to mention the criminal activities that are the taxis.

I frankly would try to stay this course with  all ATM activities while abroad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I just checked and the fx rate was at 23.5. Even if this was a little low, you also have to remember that I did not pay any transaction fees to convert into and out of the local currency.

I agree you did fine and I might have gone with Euros as well. I just wanted to caution everyone to be careful and know what the current exchange is. 

• Like 1