No porthole?

Megan_Strick

We love porthole cabins and think Carnival made a mistake with Mardi Gras Class. I guess it's Vista and Dream classes for us with a Spirit Class ship thrown in for good measure once in a while. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sthrnbll said:

Just playing around looking at dates for next year. Looking at Mardi Gras and I don't see port hole rooms. Do any of the newer ships like that have port hole rooms?

I understand, however does it have to be a porthole cabin? Would you consider booking an Oceanview cabin?

Category 6A, Deck 4 on Mardi Gras

20220617-161921.jpg

🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

You require tiny round windows instead of square windows? An oceanview isn't acceptable?

1A cabins are the cheapest cabins typically and bonus if you score one with portholes.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

You require tiny round windows instead of square windows? An oceanview isn't acceptable?

The ocean view windows often have so much salt dried on them from sea spray it's like trying to see through dried milk.

On the other hand the porthole windows on the Vista Class ships have automatic window washing devices which wash and rinse the glass every evening while we sleep. Oh, and we save on average 30% on these outside cabins which sell for an interior price and have the same design and features of a balcony cabin, including the sofa and coffee table.

image (9).png

2220 Panorama.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The ocean view windows often have so much salt dried on them from sea spray it's like trying to see through dried milk.

On the other hand the porthole windows on the Vista Class ships have automatic window washing devices which wash and rinse the glass every evening while we sleep. Oh, and we save on average 30% on these outside cabins which sell for an interior price and have the same design and features of a balcony cabin, including the sofa and coffee table.

Had no clue about the window cleaning feature. That's why the view is always clear. We heard what we thought was a light rain shower at about 4am a couple of times but it must have been the window washer because it never did rain that week. You're right about the cabin being the same size as a balcony less the balcony of course. The sofa is a big plus for us and gets lots of use.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, reeinaz said:

1A cabins are the cheapest cabins typically and bonus if you score one with portholes.

that was the deciding factor for me for my jan 13 2024 dream booking. There were only 2 potholes left. One deck 2 in a nice ish location and one on deck 1 against the bulkhead. I grabbed the niece location deck 2 thinking ok some others just saved the booking and there would be more.

I've checked multiple times. There still are none available. Seems I'm not the only one wanting one of these roomy porthole cabins. 14 days on dream to new ports. You bet for 5 new ports I am glad to see out. Panama costa Rica etc. 

The ov mentioned above was way more expensive. My friend is doing this cruise this oct in a balcony and paying over 5k. And the price is well above that now. Getting a cabin I can see out somewhat affordable was why I grabbed the cruise... it sure is a long time to wait. Yes I got the last good porthole unless someone cancels. Idk about others but I put up a fairly large deposit that is nonrefundable so no way I'm cancelling. Only the 2 out of Galveston going to Panama, this oct and jan 2024. And it's not even a partial transit. You have to pay for a excursion to see the locks. 

For potholes to sell out for 2024 cruise you know they are a good deal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rainbowflag said:

Had no clue about the window cleaning feature. That's why the view is always clear. We heard what we thought was a light rain shower at about 4am a couple of times but it must have been the window washer because it never did rain that week. You're right about the cabin being the same size as a balcony less the balcony of course. The sofa is a big plus for us and gets lots of use.

I would say the opposite. They have the same size almost as a ov. The ov is 220 sf and the balcony is the same size as a inside at 180 sf. Balcony is the same as inside plus the balcony.

The port holes are where the hull starts to curve so just slightly less than the ov they are next to.

4 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Well, looks like you need to pick a different ship! Some ships have many port hole windows. Others only have them close to the the bow of the ship. We did try one once. it was near the bow. Could not sleep. The ocean waves kept pounding on the hull and making a very loud noise.

I agree that they are a great deal, getting more space and a view for the same price as an interior cabin, but from a financial standpoint it doesn’t make any sense for Carnival to design them into new ships. Why would Carnival want to include this type of room, or inside stateroom with floor to ceiling window as on the Spirit class ship, if they can’t charge more than an inside stateroom?  When designing a new ship they want to get as much income per square foot as possible.  That said, I really don’t understand why they don’t charge more for this stateroom category than an interior on ships where they do exist

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I agree that they are a great deal, getting more space and a view for the same price as an interior cabin, but from a financial standpoint it doesn’t make any sense for Carnival to design them into new ships. Why would Carnival want to include this type of room, or inside stateroom with floor to ceiling window as on the Spirit class ship, if they can’t charge more than an inside stateroom?  When designing a new ship they want to get as much income per square foot as possible.  That said, I really don’t understand why they don’t charge more for this stateroom category than an interior on ships where they do exist

I think it's also a change in focus. Carnival used to have 0 solo supplements on 1A porthole. Then it was 50%. Now its 100% or double almost always.  They want more per cabin for their models not cater to solos.

It's one thing that pushed me away. Rcl at 340 pts I get 50% off the 2nd fare. They are also building solo cabins as is ncl. It's nothing against carnival, it's their decision but if another line is cheaper I book the best price. I'm unwilling to pay extra for carnival. If it came down to a solo cabin on prima or a inside on jubilee .. I'd probably book ncl. 

But these 1A portholes were from a day gone by when carnival discounted solos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I think it's also a change in focus. Carnival used to have 0 solo supplements on 1A porthole. Then it was 50%. Now its 100% or double almost always.  They want more per cabin for their models not cater to solos.

It's one thing that pushed me away. Rcl at 340 pts I get 50% off the 2nd fare. They are also building solo cabins as is ncl. It's nothing against carnival, it's their decision but if another line is cheaper I book the best price. I'm unwilling to pay extra for carnival. If it came down to a solo cabin on prima or a inside on jubilee .. I'd probably book ncl. 

But these 1A portholes were from a day gone by when carnival discounted solos.

I agree .Those 1As with portholes for solos were always such a good deal when we had 150% supplement.  Days gone by.

2 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I agree .Those 1As with portholes for solos were always such a good deal when we had 150% supplement.  Days gone by.

as I said I remember when they had NO supplement on 1A. I remember the furor when it was raised to 150% ... I must go further back than you. People were in a uproar when it went to 150%.

Now they dont want solos they want families. 

I need the 2 sept cruises on rcl to hit 340 pts. Booked at double pts. .. I had way more pts on carnival after covid and then I found out about the dp340 code on rcl. Even before I'm able to use the code harmony inside balony is cheaper than a inside on jubilee. I'll wait on jubilee to come down. .. though after sept I'll get 25% off solo cruises on rcl. It's about the bottom line for me. I just want to cruise at the best value. 

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

as I said I remember when they had NO supplement on 1A. I remember the furor when it was raised to 150% ... I must go further back than you. People were in a uproar when it went to 150%.

Have you considered booking a cruise with maryann2?  🙂 

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Have you considered booking a cruise with maryann2?  🙂 

I dont know her but I suspect we are similar age. Would work for me, though I am booking longer 7 days or more just because it's getting more expensive to go to Galveston. 

I have one of those 1a cabins on dream with one twin and 1 convertible sofa. I dont like hard beds. I'm a no on sleeping on the sofa. Lol. Too late to add someone on that one .. next year april to nov wide open. I'm looking for a deal. Everything went up. I'm not booking anything right now other than what's in my signature I'm sitting on my hands. 

• Like 1

As a recent solo cruiser, PT are the perfect option for me. I find I don't use the balcony, but my husband loves it. PTs fall into that super-duper sale category, like $20 per person per night. I figure the party will soon be over and the PTs will have some kind of upcharge attached to them. I'll enjoy them while I can.