Carnival & Freeport

The flight issues show demand will return and there's no really good reason to assume cruising will fare worse than any other segment in the long run.  This is great news!

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

They broke ground last month and are expected to open in late 2024 (which probably means summer of 2025 or later in today’s world). 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-breaks-ground-new-cruise-port-destination

34 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

They broke ground last month and are expected to open in late 2024 (which probably means summer of 2025 or later in today’s world). 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-breaks-ground-new-cruise-port-destination

Thanks for that. Very informative. It will be interesting to see what they have at that port. Shops, stores, dining etc?

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Thanks for that. Very informative. It will be interesting to see what they have at that port. Shops, stores, dining etc?

It's in the middle of nowhere, so they will have to build it all and maybe own most of it.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

and it's Grand Bahama Island, where Freeport is, hence the very original name, Grand Port.

Hopefully it will be a GRAND PORT. Would be nice to go where it is all new. Considering it will be exclusive to Carnival only. Bet it will be really nice.

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Hopefully it will be a GRAND PORT. Would be nice to go where it is all new. Considering it will be exclusive to Carnival only. Bet it will be really nice.

It should be nice, but also might be a long walk or taxi ride (like Mahogany Bay) if you want a non-Carnival tour. I suspect they will have plenty including a beach to keep some captive at the port.

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It should be nice, but also might be a long walk or taxi ride (like Mahogany Bay) if you want a non-Carnival tour. I suspect they will have plenty including a beach to keep some captive at the port.

We went to Freeport twice. No more. Over the past years my wife will do the straw market and I listen to the music. Then back to the ship. It would be super just to enjoy a new port. 

4 minutes ago, psk2347 said:

Considering Freeport is arguably the worst port in the Caribbean I really hope Carnival doesn't waste their money. 

Sounds to me like they are building a new port to improve the experience in Freeport.

• Like 2

This part of the article makes it sound like a cross between Mahogany Bay and Grand Turk: 

"The cruise port development includes a pier able to accommodate up to two Excel-class ships simultaneously welcoming guests to a stunning white-sand beach The Bahamas are known for. Guests will be able to explore and enjoy Grand Bahama by way of sea, via a dedicated shore excursion dock, or by land, via the dedicated ground transportation hub.  The cruise port itself will also feature an area designated as a nature reserve and an interior pool feature, along with many Bahamian-operated retail, food and beverage options for guests to enjoy."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It's in the middle of nowhere, so they will have to build it all and maybe own most of it.

The land Carnival builds on will be leased and not owned by Carnival. When the lease expires and or is not renewed the improvements Carnival built will stay. The Bahamian government has strict land ownership laws.

6 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Sounds to me like they are building a new port to improve the experience in Freeport.

Exactly. There’s nothing to do in Freeport currently. They aren’t going bring two excel ships to Freeport with the current offerings. They’re going to make the port area a destination like Grand Turk or Mahogany Bay. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a carbon copy of Puerta Maya in Cozumel. 

That’s what I’m expecting. It’s really well done and exceeded my expectations the one time we visited. Something like that would be the perfect upgrade to Freeport. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sanmarcosman said:

The land Carnival builds on will be leased and not owned by Carnival. When the lease expires and or is not renewed the improvements Carnival built will stay. The Bahamian government has strict land ownership laws.

Considering how much damage Hurricane Dorian did to the island, Carnival probably got a helluva deal to help restore the island and provide needed jobs.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, nlktx49 said:

I've always wondered, does any other cruise line besides Carnival go to Freeport?

Norwegian and Bahamas Paradise (Now Margaritaville at Sea) are currently sailing there and other lines have in the past as well. RCI was planning to buy a resort there which fell through but they claim they want to make use of the port as well. A check of Cruise Mapper shows Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony are there now.   

It's not a great port now but it is soooooo close to Florida that there is tons of unrealized potential.

Edited by KmomChicago

4 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Norwegian and Bahamas Paradise (Now Margaritaville at Sea) are currently sailing there and other lines have in the past as well. RCI was planning to buy a resort there which fell through but they claim they want to make use of the port as well. A check of Cruise Mapper shows Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony are there now.   

It's not a great port now but it is soooooo close to Florida that there is tons of unrealized potential.

Freeport vs Bimini which one?

9 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Freeport vs Bimini which one?

They both have a lot of potential. I was referring to Freeport - currently NCL, Carnival, and Margaritaville all have regular visits. Bimini is slightly closer to the US mainland but it is a very tiny island. Grand Bahama is much larger with more population and seems to me to be more suited for a Costa Maya type port shopping and entertainment resort village area than Bimini, and both Carnival and RCI seem to keep tossing around potential plans for Freeport / Grand Bahama. 

29 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

The Crystal ships are not visiting…may never have visited.  The line was bankrupted by parent company and ships have been sold at auction.  EM

• Thanks 1