New to HAL asking questions about Hawaii/South Pacific longer cruises

jwb3843

Hello!  My husband and I are planning to take one of the longer (probably 35 day) cruises in 2024 to Hawaii and the South Pacific as a retirement celebration.  Can anyone answer a few questions for us as we try to determine if this will indeed be a good fit for us?

1.  I know ship movement is difficult to measure, but on average how much rocking and rolling might we expect on an October round trip to/from San Diego voyage?  In your opinion, would an AFT balcony be a mistake??

2.  The longest cruise we’ve taken is 14 days (transatlantic) and loved it.  Can you share what things you feel we should consider when taking a voyage this long?  We don’t mind sea days and are very capable of entertaining ourselves, so that’s not a primary concern.

3.  We’ve sailed on Celebrity ships almost exclusively in the past.  For those who have sailed on both, are there any major differences we should be aware of?  We looked at the suite perks and it appears there really are very few unless you’re in one of the high end suites.  Is there something we’re missing?  We’re aware of the reputation of HAL being an “older” demographic . . . But that’s our demographic, so no problem there!  

4.  Does doing your own laundry become an issue on these longer voyages?  I mean in terms of machine availability, not simply having to do it!  I’m not wild about handing my dirty laundry over to someone else to do if it can be avoided.  

5.  Anything you’ve especially enjoyed about these particular itineraries??  This is all uncharted waters for us, but we’re excited about the prospect of being able to visit these islands.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Julie

I have done several of these cruises and enjoyed them all.  I travel by myself since my husband passed.  The South Pacific cruise was the one he wanted to do but he got sick and made me promise to go without him and to keep on cruising.  I prefer a lower deck (like 4 or 5) and  mid ship, but that is my preference.  As far as laundry goes there are no self laundry machines you have to send it to be done.  You can always wash your unmentionables in the sink send everything else to be done.  Unless of course you want to pack 35 days worth of clothes.  

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy the South Pacific.

• Like 3

We have done several longer cruises, including  this one.  It was fabulous .  Like you, we enjoy sea days as much as port days so this cruise was perfect.

HAL has the best laundry service at sea, imo, so no need to worry.  Especially with the heat and humidity being able to send clothes out daily just enhances the vacation/cruise experience.  We buy unlimited at $7 or $8 a day and it pays for itself many times over.

we prefer aft cabins for the quietness and the ability to watch the wake.  I do not recall any rough seas except for when we left San Diego, which is normal.  

we have extensive cruise history with both Celebrity and HAL and enjoy them both. HAL offers longer cruises and perhaps caters to a more “mature” (in age) crowd.  Of course for a longer cruise the cruisers will likely be retired.  

you are in for a treat.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jwb3843 said:

Anything you’ve especially enjoyed about these particular itineraries??

Being able to visit ports that are not often on an itinerary:  Guam and Tonga being two examples.  

I always enjoy visiting some of the often visited ports such as Bora Bora and Papeete.  If local cultural groups are scheduled to perform onboard, those are events not to be missed.  

Does doing your own laundry become an issue on these longer voyages

No.  Be comfortable with the ship's laundry.  In all of the years that I have used HAL's laundry, there has been only once when a pair of pants that sent to be laundered were returned un-wearable.  (They had shrunk and--no--it was not due to the owner's excessive consumption of Dive-in's Cannonballs!  😆)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TXCruiser78660 said:

Here is a pretty extensive review that I found interesting. 

Thank you SO much for finding and linking this for me!  Such a fun and informative read!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Traveling Dot said:

I have done several of these cruises and enjoyed them all.  I travel by myself since my husband passed.  The South Pacific cruise was the one he wanted to do but he got sick and made me promise to go without him and to keep on cruising.  I prefer a lower deck (like 4 or 5) and  mid ship, but that is my preference.  As far as laundry goes there are no self laundry machines you have to send it to be done.  You can always wash your unmentionables in the sink send everything else to be done.  Unless of course you want to pack 35 days worth of clothes.  

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy the South Pacific.

Traveling Dot, I’m SO sorry to hear that you lost your husband before he could accompany you on this cruise.  But I’m happy to hear that you kept your promise and went on your own!  I don’t know where I got the impression that HAL had self serve laundry facilities, but thank you for for letting me know!  I have time to adjust to the idea of using the ship’s services.  Packing 35 days worth of clothing would render me immobilized with fear! 🤣 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, westcoastcruiser said:

We have done several longer cruises, including  this one.  It was fabulous .  Like you, we enjoy sea days as much as port days so this cruise was perfect.

HAL has the best laundry service at sea, imo, so no need to worry.  Especially with the heat and humidity being able to send clothes out daily just enhances the vacation/cruise experience.  We buy unlimited at $7 or $8 a day and it pays for itself many times over.

we prefer aft cabins for the quietness and the ability to watch the wake.  I do not recall any rough seas except for when we left San Diego, which is normal.  

we have extensive cruise history with both Celebrity and HAL and enjoy them both. HAL offers longer cruises and perhaps caters to a more “mature” (in age) crowd.  Of course for a longer cruise the cruisers will likely be retired.  

you are in for a treat.  

We love watching the wake as well!  Thank you for sharing your experiences of calm seas outside of San Diego.  That information’s moving the Aft cabin to the top of the list!!  

Is the $7 or $8 a day for unlimited laundry per cabin or per person?

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Being able to visit ports that are not often on an itinerary:  Guam and Tonga being two examples.  

I always enjoy visiting some of the often visited ports such as Bora Bora and Papeete.  If local cultural groups are scheduled to perform onboard, those are events not to be missed.  

No.  Be comfortable with the ship's laundry.  In all of the years that I have used HAL's laundry, there has been only once when a pair of pants that sent to be laundered were returned un-wearable.  (They had shrunk and--no--it was not due to the owner's excessive consumption of Dive-in's Cannonballs!  😆)

We’re looking forward to visiting so many new ports!  It’s looking like Bora Bora will no longer be included for larger ships, which makes me so sad because it’s what we all think of when envisioning the South Pacific.  I’m telling myself that that amazingly clear water will be the same at all the nearby islands.  We’ll definitely take advantage of the local cultural groups at your recommendation!

LOL!!  Okay, I’ve got plenty of time to get used to the idea of using the laundry facilities!  I have a feeling that over a 35 day cruise I may indeed experience some serious shrinkage issues with waistbands!!  I’m not acquainted with Cannonballs from Dive-in’s!  Should I add these to my “must try” list??

Yes. Cannonballs or other offerings from the Dive in are a must try.    The $7 or $9 fee is per cabin.  Another choice is 'by the bag'.  It was $20 or $30 per bag, depending on where you are cruising.  They are cloth bags and you can stuff a lot in them. Roll larger items and then stuff smaller items like socks and underwear in.  Never had anything ruined.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here's the Dive-In menu

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Dive-in-2021.pdf

You can find all HAL menus on the Website: 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/

Oh my!!  😱 The Cannonball looks divine!!  I’ll definitely have to give it a try!!  Thank you!!  And thank you for the menu links!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tbay said:

Yes. Cannonballs or other offerings from the Dive in are a must try.    The $7 or $9 fee is per cabin.  Another choice is 'by the bag'.  It was $20 or $30 per bag, depending on where you are cruising.  They are cloth bags and you can stuff a lot in them. Roll larger items and then stuff smaller items like socks and underwear in.  Never had anything ruined.

Both of those options sound reasonable!  Have you found the unlimited fee to be the way to go?

Thank you SO much for finding and linking this for me!  Such a fun and informative read!

There is more detail on the website - www.theinsidecabin.com     Includes a copy of all the where and whens and menus for each day - name of entertainer etc....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jwb3843 said:

We love watching the wake as well!  Thank you for sharing your experiences of calm seas outside of San Diego.  That information’s moving the Aft cabin to the top of the list!!  

Is the $7 or $8 a day for unlimited laundry per cabin or per person?

Per cabin….such a deal.  Clothes returned on hangers or in tissue paper!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jwb3843 said:

Hello!  My husband and I are planning to take one of the longer (probably 35 day) cruises in 2024 to Hawaii and the South Pacific as a retirement celebration.  Can anyone answer a few questions for us as we try to determine if this will indeed be a good fit for us?

1.  I know ship movement is difficult to measure, but on average how much rocking and rolling might we expect on an October round trip to/from San Diego voyage?  In your opinion, would an AFT balcony be a mistake??

There can be some rocking and rolling out of and coming back to San Diego.  I don’t think it matters the time of year.  When we went, despite the warnings, the way out was fine but on the way back as we were nearing San Diego could you could feel some motion of the ocean.

No question if it happens you will ‘feel’ it more in the aft balcony.  I did not find it bothersome but was mid ship not aft.

2.  The longest cruise we’ve taken is 14 days (transatlantic) and loved it.  Can you share what things you feel we should consider when taking a voyage this long?  We don’t mind sea days and are very capable of entertaining ourselves, so that’s not a primary concern.

You will be fine with this if you like TA’s.  You will probably find more activities than on TA’s as well.  For example on ours, we had an excellent lecturer (the room was packed) who talked about our ports, the history of the people, the culture and even pearls.  All very well done.

There were ladies from Hawaii teaching hula dancing, drum playing, etc.  It was fun to watch even if you didn’t join in.

We looked at the suite perks and it appears there really are very few unless you’re in one of the high end suites.  Is there something we’re missing?  

no, you are not missing anything.  The suite perks are not much other than more real estate unless you go to the high end ones.

We’re aware of the reputation of HAL being an “older” demographic . . . But that’s our demographic, so no problem there!  

Frankly, on any cruise of this length on any ship, most of the demographic is going to be older due to the time required for the trip.  There will certainly be some “younger” ones who can take that length of time off work but generally speaking the demographic will be older.  Age is not the issue - it’s how young at heart they are 😉 

4.  Does doing your own laundry become an issue on these longer voyages?  I mean in terms of machine availability, not simply having to do it!  I’m not wild about handing my dirty laundry over to someone else to do if it can be avoided.  

I know this question has been answered for you (no self serve laundry) but I wanted to add that you can ask for your clothing to be washed in cold water and even dried in delicate.  There is a comment part on the laundry order where you can indicate instructions.

HAL’s laundry is a great deal (I’ve cruised on other lines and know what they charge) and it is VERY well done 👍 

• Like 3

We use the laundry bag instead of the daily fee.  We can fit a weeks worth of clothes in those if tightly rolled. All for $20.  I usually pack for 9 to 10 days and do laundry every 8 to 9 days.  That would be $60 to $80 on a 35 day cruise. 

For this cruise, which I will be taking in 2024 I would back exceptionally light as it is 100% tropical.  I do believe the roll call is already up and running 

be ready to relax, read, spa out, binge tv.  I enjoy it all.  Find the sauna, it is always vacant in my experience 

It is also my DH’s wishlist cruise. I am sorry for your loss 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

We have sailed on three different HAL ships from San Diego (one in November and two in December) and have never had any rough seas, but it is the luck of the draw. Having sailed midships and both port and starboard aft staterooms, we have basically settled on verandahs aft near the rear elevators. It makes it handy for getting up to the Lido and Seaview Deck area. Never bothered 

On our 18-Day Circle Hawaii to celebrate my wife's retirement, it was one of our most enjoyable cruises. The long sea days felt like time had joyfully stood still. Yes, definitely take advantage of the laundry package. You can pack lighter as well. One of these days I would love to sail back to Guam as I did in my Coast Guard days.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:05 AM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

There is more detail on the website - www.theinsidecabin.com     Includes a copy of all the where and whens and menus for each day - name of entertainer etc....

Pete ~ Thanks so much for the website link!  Your great detail is such a benefit to all who travel behind you!!  Once the itinerary for the fall 2024 cruises are announced I may reach out to ask more specific questions.  I hate the waiting!!

By the way, my father was also an aircraft mechanic in the Navy (Korean War) and also spent many night in an inside cabin!  I was so relieved to hear that your user name referred to that time in your life rather than your current sailings!  The first thing that popped into my mind was, “How can anyone spend that many days in an inside cabin??”  🤣  

Wishing you and your wife smooth sailing!

On 6/19/2022 at 7:12 AM, Mary229 said:

We use the laundry bag instead of the daily fee.  We can fit a weeks worth of clothes in those if tightly rolled. All for $20.  I usually pack for 9 to 10 days and do laundry every 8 to 9 days.  That would be $60 to $80 on a 35 day cruise. 

For this cruise, which I will be taking in 2024 I would back exceptionally light as it is 100% tropical.  I do believe the roll call is already up and running 

be ready to relax, read, spa out, binge tv.  I enjoy it all.  Find the sauna, it is always vacant in my experience 

It is also my DH’s wishlist cruise. I am sorry for your loss 

Mary, I only see a Feb - March 2024 cruise listed so far, and we need to wait until the (fingers crossed) October sailing.  But thanks for the heads up about the Roll Call ~ I’ll check it out for sure!  And thank you for sharing your thoughts on the laundry.  From a price standpoint it seems more reasonable to use the bags, but I’ve noticed that sometimes as I get older I can more easily convince myself that an increased price for added convenience isn’t always a bad thing.   Would you mind if I check back in with you a bit later to see how your plans are coming along?  As I’m sure the itineraries will be very similar, I’d love to hear what choices you’re making for excursions.

26 minutes ago, jwb3843 said:

Mary, I only see a Feb - March 2024 cruise listed so far, and we need to wait until the (fingers crossed) October sailing.  But thanks for the heads up about the Roll Call ~ I’ll check it out for sure!  And thank you for sharing your thoughts on the laundry.  From a price standpoint it seems more reasonable to use the bags, but I’ve noticed that sometimes as I get older I can more easily convince myself that an increased price for added convenience isn’t always a bad thing.   Would you mind if I check back in with you a bit later to see how your plans are coming along?  As I’m sure the itineraries will be very similar, I’d love to hear what choices you’re making for excursions.

That is the sailing I am on, the February March.  You should click the follow button in the upper right of that roll call to follow along with the planning.  You are welcome to contact me at privateemail64 at iCloud dot com 

47 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is the sailing I am on, the February March.  You should click the follow button in the upper right of that roll call to follow along with the planning.  You are welcome to contact me at privateemail64 at iCloud dot com 

Thanks so much!!  I’ll definitely do both!

This is a wonderful cruise. We love the sea days with cultural activities and talks about the various ports. One cruise had a bird expert that we would meet with at back of ship to identify bird species. Quite interesting!

As has been said HAL does an excellent job with your laundry.

Hope you enjoy!