Windstar now requiring self-testing pre-embarkation

Pudgesmom

If the WS agent is telling you that you are responsible for quarantine ashore, I’d take it to heart and plan accordingly. You’ll be isolated onboard until reaching port, but then you can expect to be disembarked to finish any required quarantine.

In unusual circumstances as described by r&rd where there might not be available facilities or appropriate medical care shoreside, you might be given an option to remain on board, but it is not stated policy so don’t count on it. Buy adequate travel insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a definitive answer on pre-embarkation testing?  The easiest system for international travel is using calendar days.  But there is one place on the windstar site that refers to 48 and 72 hours.  If they are counting in hours, does one need to take the time changes in effect.

1 hour ago, jtwind said:

Does anyone have a definitive answer on pre-embarkation testing?  The easiest system for international travel is using calendar days.  But there is one place on the windstar site that refers to 48 and 72 hours.  If they are counting in hours, does one need to take the time changes in effect.

We will be testing that tomorrow, with three different cabins of people who have or are testing at different times. One will fall into  2 days, but not 48 hours

This is distressing to me on several levels and I have NO objection to testing or even to paying for it.  I don't even mind wearing a mask.  We are very flexible!
BUT

Why will they not accept proctored tests?  We used them several times (Inspire/EMed) with other cruise lines - at home before leaving so we could board, in Europe when switching ships, and before flying home.  We were watched on video and the results emailed with all the data the cruise line requires.

With so many lines dropping testing entirely, I just don't get it.
Does anyone know the reason?

The background:
We will leave on Labor Day (Sept 5th) on a 7am flight so there is no way to find an in person test in the US.  The Legend sails on Sept 7th.  So we will need to find a test in Barcelona.  If we schedule a time at a site there and the flight is delayed/cancelled, can we even find a walk in test?  I don't even want to think about the scenario if one of us is positive.

Truly, if Windstar had posted that they would not accept proctored online test results, I would never have booked these B2B cruises or cancelled if they made the policy known when cancellation was possible.  (They were to be B2B2B but the Black Sea was cancelled for obvious reasons).  Now that we are past final payment date we are stuck and rather than looking forward enthusiastically, I am dreading the hassle especially since I do not understand their reasons.  

The T-Shirt I bought on the Wind Surf in December says "180 Degrees from Ordinary"

Regarding testing policy, I would prefer ordinary.  

I feel your pain. The testing rules are frustrating to be sure. I'm guessing, of course, but it could be that Windstar has received static from port authorities about the type of testing protocols that are currently acceptable. The requirements have been dynamic. There is still significant variation from country to country. For each sailing, Windstar must assemble records and be ready to satisfy themselves and officials in multiple countries that requisite precautions are followed by passengers and crew. I wouldn't be surprised if there are differences as to what the current rules are among cruise line personnel and government inspectors. 

• 4 weeks later...

Help!

Flying out tomorrow night to Anchorage for an August 8th cruise, and the covid testing site that we had an appointment with shut down.  Will Windstar accept NAAT tests, like those given by Walgreens?  No rapid antigen tests at all in Salt Lake City for travel, and it is too late for PCRs.

When we were in Anchorage before our July cruise we got our test at the Egan convention center. Most of the cruise lines were using them. If that is not where you were booked call the convention center for the info - it’s not listed on websites since it is a site you have to pay for the tests. It is two blocks from the Hilton and three blocks from the train station. Cost was $89 for an antigen test - Tell them you are with Windstar and the reduced amount ($69) is charged to you onboard.

Per an email from Windstar received today,

Windstar requires guests to arrive at the pier with a negative COVID-19 test result in hand.  Windstar also accepts medically observed telemedicine tests.

Proof of a negative antigen test (professionally administer or medically observed via telemedicine) taken no more than two days before your're schedulat to board your ship.

This should help some cruisers in the future.

We sail September 28 from Venice and I truly hope they will at least let us use the telemedicine by then if they don’t drop it completely. I am just now starting a search for a pharmacy in Venice that can do the testing for us. 

We have not received any such email as of now. 

Pirokop is correct. This is on Windstar website today, a recent change.

Windstar requires guests to arrive at the pier with a negative COVID-19 test result in hand. Windstar also accepts medically observed telemedicine tests. 

This is also on the Windstar website.  However, I wouldn't want to be standing on the pier as the ship is sailing away

"Guests who show up at embarkation without a negative test result in hand will be administered an antigen test by Windstar and charged a $69 fee."

3 hours ago, Strenz said:

Thank you. Not sure how to do telemedicine test in Europe, need to research now. Happy Sailing.

The same way you would do it in the US. I used an eMed test last fall that I had bought in the US and brought with me to Europe. I used the test's app and initiated the test. Received the email shortly after.

Has anyone bought a proctored COVID test kit recently. One small but annoying downside of the eMed COVID test is that the packaging is larger than it needs to be - the box I had last fall for one test kit was larger than the boxes for 2 or even 4 packs of non-proctored tests even though materials for one test are the same size - just a lot of empty space in the box.

We will be leaving for our cruise in just over a week so it would need to arrive promptly to take with us.

I found this Onsite which appears to proctor testing with any home test kit:

https://onpoint-testing.com/

Has anyone here used them?

1 hour ago, new_cruiser said:

Has anyone bought a proctored COVID test kit recently. One small but annoying downside of the eMed COVID test is that the packaging is larger than it needs to be - the box I had last fall for one test kit was larger than the boxes for 2 or even 4 packs of non-proctored tests even though materials for one test are the same size - just a lot of empty space in the box.

It's designed to help you – leaves room in your luggage for the souvenirs you buy on the trip!  😉  

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2022 at 3:33 PM, jtwind said:

On 7/6/2022 at 3:33 PM, jtwind said:

They have now clarified this on the website, which says:

The two-day window is not time dependent; if you board on a Friday the test can be taken as early as Wednesday.

And

The three-day window is not time dependent; if you board on a Friday the test can be taken as early as Tuesday.

They look for the date on the testing form, not the time

Edited by milepig

On 8/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's designed to help you – leaves room in your luggage for the souvenirs you buy on the trip!  😉  

They only thing we have found worrisome on International trips is they get a little crushed in our luggage and we worry about seal accidentally being broken.  They do secure some room.

11 hours ago, PrincessAmore said:

They only thing we have found worrisome on International trips is they get a little crushed in our luggage and we worry about seal accidentally being broken.  They do secure some room.

Wrap in bubble wrap.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:17 PM, new_cruiser said:

My husband noticed this at the bottom of the requirements for pre-cruise testing:

Except from https://www.windstarcruises.com/health-safety/overview/

"Guests who show up at embarkation without a negative test result in hand will be administered an antigen test by Windstar and charged a $69 fee."

Very good news!  The latest info on their website also indicates that proctored video tests ARE accepted with info on finding one.  We ordered one as a backup in case our plan of Med-Express at the airport before our flight to Barcelona doesn't work out.  They are SUPPOSED to be open on Labor Day, but we have learned "stuff happens."  Best to have a plan B