Turn Down Service

Cruise Puss

I've never understood the need for turndown service, personally. Unless one has a serious handicap, the average adult should be capable of pulling down their own sheet and duvet. Nor do I need my bathroom cleaned every evening. Once daily is sufficient. I don't change out our towels multiple times a day at home, so why would I expect that on my cruise? As for the pillow chocolates - ours ended up in a plastic bag that can home with us, and eventually ended up in the trash when I spring cleaned  the cupboard. (Shrug) ymmv

I guess some people need that so they can feel special. 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, antsp said:

It's the little things that used to count

As I'm the one who asked the question, I'm afraid I feel I have a right to agree with you.

Once you start down this road, it's only a matter of time before things that taken for granted no longer exist, including the things that matter to those who don't think a turn down service is important.....

Everyone has something they would miss.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cruise Puss said:

As I'm the one who asked the question, I'm afraid I feel I have a right to agree with you.

Once you start down this road, it's only a matter of time before things that taken for granted no longer exist, including the things that matter to those who don't think a turn down service is important.....

Everyone has something they would miss.

Agreed!!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mom says said:

I've never understood the need for turndown service, personally. Unless one has a serious handicap, the average adult should be capable of pulling down their own sheet and duvet. Nor do I need my bathroom cleaned every evening. Once daily is sufficient. I don't change out our towels multiple times a day at home, so why would I expect that on my cruise? As for the pillow chocolates - ours ended up in a plastic bag that can home with us, and eventually ended up in the trash when I spring cleaned  the cupboard. (Shrug) ymmv

I personally love turn down service. I don't go on a cruise to feel like I'm at home. Part of what you are choosing in a cruise vacation is a certain level of pampering and coming back to your room in the evening to find your bed nicely turned down and room and bathroom freshened is part of the pleasure of the experience. I don't need it to feel special - I just enjoy that extra level of service which I have come to expect as part of the cruising experience.

Also, we often travel with family and use the pull down bunk or fold out couch. Those are things that require a certain level of service - putting them up and pulling them out each morning and evening.

On our last cruise on the Royal in May, our Steward let us know the first day that turndown service was optional and asked if we wanted it - we confirmed that we did. It may not be for everyone, and if you don't need or want it, by all means skip it. But there is nothing wrong with those who enjoy it still receiving it if it is offered. And yes, I miss the chocolates too.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we need our room serviced twice a day.   However, given a choice our preference might be once a day after 7pm when we head out for dinner.

Would this be a problem?  Would this create more work for "Stewart"?

Just disembarked the Grand after two weeks cruising from Vancouver to Whittier and back to Vancouver.

First day the steward told us he was doing 2-a- day service. We didn't have to ask.  We also got a paper Patter every evening

We miss the chocolates. Hoping that might come back at some point

• Thanks 1

I've taken three cruises since the restart--August, December, and February. In August, I wanted the turndown service the first evening because I had laundry to send out. There was a communication problem between me and the steward, and he thought I meant every night. I did not dissuade him. In December, I requested it on the keypad by the door a couple of nights when I had laundry to send out. That steward did not mistake my request for wanting it daily afterward. In February, my steward serviced my cabin every night without my ever asking. I think it's because my cabin was right beside some suites, and he automatically serviced them twice a day as well.

On my next cruise, I don't plan to ask for the evening service every night. But I may have laundry to go out and request it on those nights.

I used to save all of our pillow chocolates and take them to work for one of our secretary's candy bowls.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

I've taken three cruises since the restart--August, December, and February. In August, I wanted the turndown service the first evening because I had laundry to send out. There was a communication problem between me and the steward, and he thought I meant every night. I did not dissuade him. In December, I requested it on the keypad by the door a couple of nights when I had laundry to send out. That steward did not mistake my request for wanting it daily afterward. In February, my steward serviced my cabin every night without my ever asking. I think it's because my cabin was right beside some suites, and he automatically serviced them twice a day as well.

On my next cruise, I don't plan to ask for the evening service every night. But I may have laundry to go out and request it on those nights.

I used to save all of our pillow chocolates and take them to work for one of our secretary's candy bowls.

I didn't know you could request it on the keypad, so thank you for letting me know. ☺️

This is only our second Princess cruise, although our 41st overall, so we aren't as up to date as when we travel on other cruise lines.

8 hours ago, mom says said:

I've never understood the need for turndown service, personally. Unless one has a serious handicap, the average adult should be capable of pulling down their own sheet and duvet. Nor do I need my bathroom cleaned every evening. Once daily is sufficient.

And I don't see why any average adult should not be able to prepare their own dinner either.  I don't see why it's necessary to go to the dining room and have a chef cook your dinner and a waiter serve it to you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, mom says said:

I've never understood the need for turndown service, personally. Unless one has a serious handicap, the average adult should be capable of pulling down their own sheet and duvet.

It is the difference between staying at Motel 6 and at the Waldorf Astoria.

One is a luxury experience and one is not.

Almost every news article about something that happened on a cruise ship refers to it as a "luxury cruise" no matter what cruise line it is.

Most people who cruise on Princess expect some pampering.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, rideev said:

And I don't see why any average adult should not be able to prepare their own dinner either.  I don't see why it's necessary to go to the dining room and have a chef cook your dinner and a waiter serve it to you.

And why send something out for the ship to launder when you can wash it yourself in your cabin sink?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Just a question.  If the Cabin steward does not do the turn down service, do they get that time off?  Or are they given other jobs to do?

I'm certain they give the steward other jobs to occupy their time, like cleaning for Covid.

From what I've seen in some cabins when passing by, there are some people who almost require a butler to pick up behind them constantly.  Their cabin are in total shambles with clothing thrown about & it's almost impossible to see the desk top.

They must live like that at home also.

I can only imagine what the bathroom looks like. 💩

• Like 1
  • Haha 3