European cruise questions

Hello all,

We are seasoned cruisers with 27 cruises checked off but have not cruised in Europe before. We are booked on the Odyssey out of Rome mid September.

What are some of the biggest differences we will see on the ship?

Also since this is mid Sept, should I plan to wear fall clothes or summer clothes? We love dressing up and I have heard it will be more formal. Is this true?

Any advice for newbies going across the pond? We have been to Europe but not on a ship.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suamom said:

Hello all,

We are seasoned cruisers with 27 cruises checked off but have not cruised in Europe before. We are booked on the Odyssey out of Rome mid September.

Also since this is mid Sept, should I plan to wear fall clothes or summer clothes? We love dressing up and I have heard it will be more formal. Is this true?

Any advice for newbies going across the pond? We have been to Europe but not on a ship.

Thanks!

I've done 18 European cruises--on Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Oceania--and have a few more booked for during the next 10 months--Vision of the Seas from Barcelona in August, Celebrity Summit out of Reykjavik in August, Celebrity Infinity (actually a Transatlantic ending with Canary Islands and Portugal) in April and Symphony of the Seas out of Barcellona in April.  I LOVE cruising in Europe.

First, the climate in the Mediterranean is fairly identical--in most areas to the climate here in Southern California.  September is usually very HOT.  But, start checking the "30-day forecasts" for your itinerary as you get close.  But, chances are, prepare for warm weather.

As to formal attire, just like cruises in this part of the world, things have been getting less and less formal over time.  But, if you like to dress up, go ahead.  BUT, there's one big caveat here:  Unless you are flying First or Business class, airlines will limit you to 50 lbs. of luggage each.  It's hard to pack enough clothes and leave enough space in your luggage for a lot of formal wear.

My general advice:  Fly to your embarskation city EARLY.  We always fly in a minimum of two full days early, but most often, much more than that.  Depending on where you live, it's a long flight--or flights--and you give up SEVERAL time zones.   We live on the West Coast, so, for us, it's 9-10 hours off.  We usually end up flying out on one day, flying overnight and arriving the following morning.  We are worn out and tired and need a little time to recuperate.  And we also want a little time to enjoy the embarkation city.

Rome has a LOT to see,  You know the old line "Rome wasn't built in a day"??  Well, it isn't toured in a day either.  Plus, the port for Rome is NOT Rome, but Civitavecchia.  It is a pretty good ride from Rome.  So, when we cruise from Rome, we usually book a few nights in Rome (or, for us, since we've been there a lot, one of the nearby towns--Tivoli, Orvieto, or others), then the last night before the cruise IN Civitavecchia--it leads to less stress embarkation morning.

Another note:  Join your Roll Call on these boards and see if you can join private small group tours...You'll enjoy it much more and see much more than crowding onto a big bus with 45 others from a shore excursion.  And you'll likely save money as well.

Differences onboard?  Not really.  Much is the same...except people are all a little more worn out from long days touring.  Don't expect a lively crowd late into the night.

Good luck.  Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Differences

Ports will be historic rather than sunshine, sandy beaches with umbrella drinks.

The passengers are going to be very diverse from multiple countries, speaking different languages, and bringing their varying cultural experiences on board.

My experience was that everyone was friendly and welcoming. When groups of people were together, they spoke their native language. When groups found themselves in mixed company, English was the default language.

Enjoy the differences. Try new foods. Download Google Translate. Try to learn some basic greetings in various languages. Have a great time.

• Like 3

Differences onboard:

* The cruise director spoke several languages. The Captain's announcements are translated.

* The spanish loves to eat late and party late.

* U.S. dollars used onboard, Euros in Italy and Greece...Turkish Lira if you're stopping in Kusadasi.

Clothing...it may still be warm in September. You won't be out of place if you love to dress up.

* What is your itinerary?

We were onboard the Odyssey last month...Rome (Civitavecchia), Naples, Chania, Rhodes, Athens, Kusadasi, Santorini and Mykonos.......port intensive....planning what to do at each port is part of the fun. Happy sailing!

• Like 1

Suamom,

I would not worry about getting Turkish Lira for Turkey as they will take US Dollars (as well as Pound Sterling and Euro) so long as they are in good condition (just make sure you know the exchange rate, today it is  $1=TL 17.36) and never ever accept the price they quote you! Always haggle and be prepared to walk away as they will nearly always cut a good deal (for you and them). It is all part of the shopping experience in Turkey buying real fake watches or bags lol, though saying that the copies are very good indeed. DW and I are sailing 28th Sept on the same itinerary and cannot wait to get away and chill. 

Have a great time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, suamom said:

mid Sept from Rome is still quite warm--bring summer-weight clothing with a light jacket. Ladies: long shorts covering knees, capris, lightweight pants, skirts, one light sweater and maybe a light rain jacket. Men: slacks, maybe a pair of jeans (European men tend not to wear khakis-they wear suit/dress pants or jeans), longer/Bermuda shorts, polo shirts, a few long sleeved and ties for dinner. Maybe a sports coat. After 5+ cruises, including longer Princess sailings, we found Europe to be LESS formal than other cruises. Now, husband does not even bring a dinner jacket- just a tie and oxford shirt. You'll be completely fine in anything from a Tux/evening gown, cocktail party attire or even a bit more dressed down.

On 6/22/2022 at 8:54 PM, suamom said:

Hello all,

Thanks!

Go to weather dot com for extended weather for each city 15 days prior.  

No differences on the ship, it is a Bahamas flagged ship, with an international crew, and all the food and shows are the same.  English is spoken by the crew.  Money on the ship is USD also. 

People dress what is expected, not what they want.  I would not say more formal, but they aren't going to wear shorts and flip flops on formal night either.  Plus if you decide to do that, they will look at you strangely. 

Cash on land is Euro's.  If you want to be ripped off, ask them if you can use USD, and with a big smile, say yes.  (I watched people buy a can of beer at a vendor where the ship was docked.  A beer was about $2.00 in local exchanged money, but they were taking $5 in USD.  I know it's not much, but the can was a small 7oz can.

Bring your passport, that is your ID and you might even need it to get into some places.  

Use a credit card and always use euros, and never allow it to charge you in USD.  your card will use the current exchange rate, not an inflated rate they are using.  

Preplan everything on land.....so you know what to expect.

• Thanks 1

suamom,

Enjoy your trip. While never having cruised exclusively in Europe, I have done two transatlantics with several ports in Europe before crossing the Atlantic.

There will be more nonAmericans than when cruising in the U.S/Caribbean. Learn a few greetings such as Bonjour, Guten Tag, Arrivederci, etc. Do not be the "Ugly American". Strike up conversations with Europeans.

Learn in advance a little about the history/culture of the places you will visit. If you have never been to Rome or Italy, try to go a week in advance. We visited Venice, Florence and Rome in a week before our cruise. We had been to Italy before so we looked for things we had NOT done before.

We used a car service to get from Rome to the Port on the day of our cruise. It took about 90 minutes and we were the only passengers (about $150 including tip for the two of us). Very pleasant drive.

In 2016, we were in Venice, Florence and Rome at the end of October/beginning of November and it was HOT! In the 80s at least.

Jim

14 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Bring your passport, that is your ID and you might even need it to get into some places.

This is not good advice.  Passports are high value targets for thieves, pickpockets, etc.  Leave the passport on the ship and carry some kind of picture ID.  As for needing a passport to get into someplace?  We've been in Europe for over 30 years and have never encountered this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

This is not good advice.  Passports are high value targets for thieves, pickpockets, etc.  Leave the passport on the ship and carry some kind of picture ID.  As for needing a passport to get into someplace?  We've been in Europe for over 30 years and have never encountered this.

In Europe, authorities can demand to see your passport at any time. I suppose you’ve just been lucky. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

In Europe, authorities can demand to see your passport at any time. I suppose you’ve just been lucky. 

Nope,  they can ask to see ID,  but cannot demand that you immediately produce a passport

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazyank said:

Nope,  they can ask to see ID,  but cannot demand that you immediately produce a passport

It is not hard to verify that it must be a passport. They will not accept a US driver license. 

https://www.army.mil/article/123870/u_s_army_europe_reminds_members_to_carry_passports_for_travel_outside_country_of_assignment

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

Good advice from someone that has lived 30 years in Europe.   🙂 

Indeed.  For us, passports stay in safe in the cabin.  Passports card that is photo ID, is what slips into my pocket.  Separate from any small bag I may carry.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

I was stranded in Barcelona once.  I needed my passport to check quickly into a hotel for my sick husband, get a quick flight out of Spain, and for countless other things while trying to get home.  

Europe today is not Europe of 30 years ago, or 15 years ago.  One never knows when some policy, rule, or law may have changed and your passport is needed.

I keep my passport with me at all times off the ship.  I wear it in neck wallet with a titanium cord, and under my clothes. (And, don't even think about taking a picture of your passport nowadays, or showing a picture of it from your phone.)

14 hours ago, crazyank said:

I have been to Copenhagen, was asked for my passport for ID to get into a place.  I am going to Barcelona later this summer for a week.  I have a ticket that clearly says bring a government ID, and if outside of Spain, a passport is required for the id.  I have been in Asia, several places I had to show my passport as the only acceptable ID.  It is nice you never did, but I have several times.  If for any reason, you have failed to meet the ship (it happens) you need your passport to get to the next country to meet the ship.  You can protect your passport, with a security pouch to carry.  I will never leave a ship, or travel to another country without having my passport in my possession.  Just like at home, I do not leave the house w/o my DL, I see no difference.  

I'm not going to argue with you, but the risk is greater leaving it behind, than to carry if you carry it safely. 

It was required to check into hotels in several cities.  I had a traffic checkpoint in Morocco, and had to produce my Passport to the security force/police.  

Edited by Joseph2017China

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I have been to Copenhagen, was asked for my passport for ID to get into a place.  I am going to Barcelona later this summer for a week.  I have a ticket that clearly says bring a government ID, and if outside of Spain, a passport is required for the id.  I have been in Asia, several places I had to show my passport as the only acceptable ID.  It is nice you never did, but I have several times.  If for any reason, you have failed to meet the ship (it happens) you need your passport to get to the next country to meet the ship.  You can protect your passport, with a security pouch to carry.  I will never leave a ship, or travel to another country without having my passport in my possession.  Just like at home, I do not leave the house w/o my DL, I see no difference.  

I'm not going to argue with you, but the risk is greater leaving it behind, than to carry if you carry it safely. 

It was required to check into hotels in several cities.  I had a traffic checkpoint in Morocco, and had to produce my Passport to the security force/police.  

Exactly. Just get one of those holders that keeps it close to your body and be safe. 

20 hours ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

The advice on board our celebrity cruise last week in Europe was to take photo ID (and proof of covid jabs which we had on our phones). We took our driving licence 

Big risk in my opinion taking your passport around Europe to the main tourist sites and having travelled all over Europe during the last 30 years never been asked to produce it on demand once.

You have to do what you are comfortable with but you have a big problem getting back to the States for example if that goes missing. Would you even be able to continue your cruise in Europe without a passport if it got lost or stolen?

On 6/22/2022 at 10:33 PM, Bruin Steve said:

I've done 18 European cruises--on Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Oceania--and have a few more booked for during the next 10 months--Vision of the Seas from Barcelona in August, Celebrity Summit out of Reykjavik in August, Celebrity Infinity (actually a Transatlantic ending with Canary Islands and Portugal) in April and Symphony of the Seas out of Barcellona in April.  I LOVE cruising in Europe.

First, the climate in the Mediterranean is fairly identical--in most areas to the climate here in Southern California.  September is usually very HOT.  But, start checking the "30-day forecasts" for your itinerary as you get close.  But, chances are, prepare for warm weather.

As to formal attire, just like cruises in this part of the world, things have been getting less and less formal over time.  But, if you like to dress up, go ahead.  BUT, there's one big caveat here:  Unless you are flying First or Business class, airlines will limit you to 50 lbs. of luggage each.  It's hard to pack enough clothes and leave enough space in your luggage for a lot of formal wear.

My general advice:  Fly to your embarskation city EARLY.  We always fly in a minimum of two full days early, but most often, much more than that.  Depending on where you live, it's a long flight--or flights--and you give up SEVERAL time zones.   We live on the West Coast, so, for us, it's 9-10 hours off.  We usually end up flying out on one day, flying overnight and arriving the following morning.  We are worn out and tired and need a little time to recuperate.  And we also want a little time to enjoy the embarkation city.

Rome has a LOT to see,  You know the old line "Rome wasn't built in a day"??  Well, it isn't toured in a day either.  Plus, the port for Rome is NOT Rome, but Civitavecchia.  It is a pretty good ride from Rome.  So, when we cruise from Rome, we usually book a few nights in Rome (or, for us, since we've been there a lot, one of the nearby towns--Tivoli, Orvieto, or others), then the last night before the cruise IN Civitavecchia--it leads to less stress embarkation morning.

Another note:  Join your Roll Call on these boards and see if you can join private small group tours...You'll enjoy it much more and see much more than crowding onto a big bus with 45 others from a shore excursion.  And you'll likely save money as well.

Differences onboard?  Not really.  Much is the same...except people are all a little more worn out from long days touring.  Don't expect a lively crowd late into the night.

Good luck.  Enjoy!

Good post👍