Edge Reviews?

amyhphoto

40 minutes ago, amyhphoto said:

I can’t seem to find many or any recent reviews of the Edge. Can someone point me in the right direction? Idk why I’m having such a hard time. Thanks

At the very top of Celebrity forum go to cruise reviews.  Lots of reviews of people on each ship.

Edge and Apex have people who love them and people who don't.   The infinite veranda being controversial. 

• Like 1

This might be a little dated, but here is a link to a “Live From …” thread I did back in August when we were on the Edge on a B3B in a sky suite for 21 days in the Caribbean. I tried to take a lot of pictures of the various entertainment venues we visited, among other things. 😁

• Like 1

Was on her last year and really enjoyed her.  There are still some E-Class exclusive gripes I'll summarize as that's usually what people who are reading reviews are looking for:

1)  IVs; also that Concierge and Aquaclass only have IVs

2)  No Sky Lounge or bar/lounge with a forward view

3)  Blu (Aquaclass) is in a bizarre location

4)  Fine cut steakhouse let's in atrium music and seems to amplify

5)  Maybe things have changed or will change by your sailing, Edge still doesn't seem to have Eden shows while the Apex does; they're replaced with musician and often solo guitarists

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Was on her last year and really enjoyed her.  There are still some E-Class exclusive gripes I'll summarize as that's usually what people who are reading reviews are looking for:

1)  IVs; also that Concierge and Aquaclass only have IVs

2)  No Sky Lounge or bar/lounge with a forward view

3)  Blu (Aquaclass) is in a bizarre location

4)  Fine cut steakhouse let's in atrium music and seems to amplify

5)  Maybe things have changed or will change by your sailing, Edge still doesn't seem to have Eden shows while the Apex does; they're replaced with musician and often solo guitarists

It’s interesting that you point out the location of aqua class rooms. We just booked aqua on the edge and I thought it was strange that these rooms were no where near the spa? We are fine with walking but they are basically on the other side of the ship….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amyhphoto said:

I can’t seem to find many or any recent reviews of the Edge. Can someone point me in the right direction? Idk why I’m having such a hard time. Thanks

Sailed Edge for 2 weeks last summer. It was A.MA.ZING.

Captain Kate surely added 2 it, plus low passenger count, ready to cruise again. GORGEOUS ship. GREAT mood (MDRs & EDEN)

Sailed Apex in March. Also great. 
NO complaints

• Like 3

We were on Edge in April.  The overall experience matched many of the YouTube reviews and tours.  And props to the crew for accommodating our toddler traveler they had never been on a cruise and really a vacation until the trip. That made it worth it.

That said, there's room for improvement and there may be some things that are inherently issues like the noise in practically every restaurant including Luminae.  Also, as one poster commented above, we found it odd that Eden was essentially a place to take a nap most of the day and night even when there was an acoustic set.  The venue has been praised so much, but the pushback they must have received on the creative performances seems to have crushed them.  The Eden Cafe was also something that was a bit of a mystery.  It was closed almost the entire trip, and when it was open it would be for like an hour and not even a full meal timeslot. 

Also the cruise director and staff were seemingly going through the motions.  Lewis and Crystal seem like they might need some shore leave and were not ambassadors for the ship.  With celebrity it's not going to be summer camp, but if they're going to be doing their thing and on payroll they should at least do it in a way that connects with the passengers on a seemingly individual level instead of canned announcements and sleepwalking through trivia on the resort deck.  We also noticed a lot of people walking around that look like they were with the crew but not really doing much.  They seem to come out of the woodwork for Martini Bar activity and to clap and make it difficult to walk around the plaza.  Yet the ship is so nice that it essentially makes up for anything else particularly when the weather is nice. 

The ship could probably use a library or a few more board games or just something that gives people activities other than drinking or walking around looking for the next bite to eat. Also seems like parts of the ship like the theater really go to waste during the day.  They play some movie on in the club but it's not exactly the best viewing experience

And this is a celebrity issue overall, but even with the all-inclusive package with premium drinks they still wanted to charge for gelato when almost nothing else was an upcharge. The cost has to be so de minimis that it makes it even more perplexing that they would waste their time even distinguishing and charging for something out of the same case as ice cream.  It seemed like an unnecessary way to take people out of the experience that the ship promotes.

Also in terms of the food, There was a noticeable use of GFS foodservice items, average bar mixes, some sort of multi-mix for the soft serve that's also doubles for mixer at the bar, commercial mass produced quality  goods like English muffins and Lenders style bagels at breakfast, frozen hash browns, and other things that made us think of a college cafeteria, Disney World or the free breakfast at the Hampton Inn.  That was at the OVC and Luminae.  And if you're spending a lot per day, some of that ends up being perplexing after a few days and you realize that most of the food on the ship is the same regardless of where it's picked up.  And I'm not sure the specialty dining is actually special except the fact that it's an up charge.  Nothing we saw seem to reflect anything more than a well-run chain restaurant as opposed to say high-end food cooked order.  For example, demi glace on a fillet isn't anything particularly challenging or that you would find at a high end restaurant.  That's what they serve at la petite bistro,  we kept seeing on ither menus.  $55 for BBQ was odd too.  It wasn't like an Argentine steakhouse or anything close.  Nothing one would pay $55 for a land or $55 plus whatever you're leaving on the table by not eating at a different venue.

But again the overall experience is made up for by the ship, making requests and having the crew follow up (there's plenty of crew), and that it's the totality of the experience.  With little things that you'll like and some that you might not. There's nothing we've seen to indicate that the experience would be any different on Apex except the funky room on the way to Eden and the sculpture at the pool.  Beyond looks to be an improvement because of the enhanced sunset bar and modified positioning of Luminae if you're in retreat. 

And if you're on a cruise that will allow you to be outside the resort deck generally on the edge class ships seem to be a vast improvement over the pictures we've seen of the older ships.  But morning the pool capacity is only like 35 people or something close.  

And overall celebrity should be appreciated for actually putting some thought into the ship design and overall feel and experience.  Something that looks modern in can compete with a nice hotel room surprisingly took till 2018 to pull off.  Our hope is they work on the destinations, especially a decent island with a well-maintained beach opportunity versus what we saw in Costa Maya.  

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 2

We were on the Edge in April - our first Celebrity cruise.  We went for the Sunset Veranda on the Aft of the ship rather than the infinite veranda.  

After reading @Cap_D review above I had to respond.

We absolutely loved the Edge.  We barely got off the ship, which was our intention to make the ship our vacation.  We had 5 days on board.  We really enjoyed everything about it.  We we never bored.  

We loved Eden and after we discovered they served breakfast and lunch there - we ate there many times.  We also had dinner there which was fabulous and worth the extra.  We had a crab cake that I have no idea how they even kept it together as it was just loaded with crab and lobster casserole which was a lobster without the shell on top of the casserole.  

We loved the Magic Carpet bar especially while sailing.  You could hear the music from the Resort deck pool area but it wasn't overwhelming.  We spent a few hours in the Solarium and the attendants in there were clearing towels, glasses etc as soon as they were left.  

As far as needing a library, with everyone with electronic devices I don't understand why.  There were plenty of nooks everywhere to read.  There were games going on in Eden, the Club and music in the Grand Plaza later in the afternoon. We did trivia, archery, a chipping contest and several other activities.  Most found us where ever we were some we sought out.  The schedules on the app and easy to find.  

We actually even toured the Retreat which is very nice.  IMO not sure if we were missing out on anything as we tried both Le Petit Chef and Eden, and got reservations at 3 of the 4 dining rooms.  I love that they have the 4 dining rooms each with their own themed part of the menu.  We only had one issue on a dinner and it was that pasta came a little cool and dried out (as if under the lamp too long) but everything else was very good.  Not like a chain restaurant at all.  All of our meats came cooked as ordered.  

The theater on the Edge is basically in the round.  The shows were wonderful and not something we usually do.  As you can probably tell we are very sold - in fact we booked the Apex for next May while on board.  

If you have any questions, just ask.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have done 3 cruises on the Edge & 1 on the Apex.  Apex has a better Retreat Sundeck because it has some umbrellas to provide shade and more seating for the lunch/bar area on the Sundeck and Eden has more seating, particularly for breakfast and lunch. 
We have 1 Beyond, 1 Apex and 4 Edge  cruises booked, so we love the E class: with or with out Captain Kate.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:27 AM, Dar & Bob said:

We were on the Edge in April - our first Celebrity cruise.  We went for the Sunset Veranda on the Aft of the ship rather than the infinite veranda.  

After reading @Cap_D review above I had to respond.

We absolutely loved the Edge.  We barely got off the ship, which was our intention to make the ship our vacation.  We had 5 days on board.  We really enjoyed everything about it.  We we never bored.  

We loved Eden and after we discovered they served breakfast and lunch there - we ate there many times.  We also had dinner there which was fabulous and worth the extra.  We had a crab cake that I have no idea how they even kept it together as it was just loaded with crab and lobster casserole which was a lobster without the shell on top of the casserole.  

We loved the Magic Carpet bar especially while sailing.  You could hear the music from the Resort deck pool area but it wasn't overwhelming.  We spent a few hours in the Solarium and the attendants in there were clearing towels, glasses etc as soon as they were left.  

As far as needing a library, with everyone with electronic devices I don't understand why.  There were plenty of nooks everywhere to read.  There were games going on in Eden, the Club and music in the Grand Plaza later in the afternoon. We did trivia, archery, a chipping contest and several other activities.  Most found us where ever we were some we sought out.  The schedules on the app and easy to find.  

We actually even toured the Retreat which is very nice.  IMO not sure if we were missing out on anything as we tried both Le Petit Chef and Eden, and got reservations at 3 of the 4 dining rooms.  I love that they have the 4 dining rooms each with their own themed part of the menu.  We only had one issue on a dinner and it was that pasta came a little cool and dried out (as if under the lamp too long) but everything else was very good.  Not like a chain restaurant at all.  All of our meats came cooked as ordered.  

The theater on the Edge is basically in the round.  The shows were wonderful and not something we usually do.  As you can probably tell we are very sold - in fact we booked the Apex for next May while on board.  

If you have any questions, just ask.  

Thanks for your review, can you recall the show times, we are keen to schedule dinner reservation times to suit.

Thanks.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:40 PM, Coarsegold_Mom said:

It’s interesting that you point out the location of aqua class rooms. We just booked aqua on the edge and I thought it was strange that these rooms were no where near the spa? We are fine with walking but they are basically on the other side of the ship….

The AQ dining room is in a public hallway- not a fully enclosed private restaurant like on the M and S class ships.  Some people do not like others peering in at them while they dine- try to get a table in the back so you aren't near the hallway.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 6:25 PM, amyhphoto said:

We sailed her in May.  After reading all the negatives about the Infinity Veranda I was prepared to hate it and found that I loved it!  

If you have any specific questions let me know, I can maybe answer at mimlauff at aol dot com

Miriam