Had a hunch this would happen…price increase for premium wines and liquor?

HBCcruiser

I anticipated that this would happen the minute Princess introduced the NEW Princess Premier Beverage Package. Just saw this post on FB - Can anyone verify? FB Post:

Drink Prices are Going Up

Today on the Caribbean Princess, QR codes for the menus started pointing to new menus with new prices. I don’t believe they are charging us these new prices yet.  When I asked for a paper wine menu in the MDR, they gave me the old menu. But after speaking with the server in Vines, it sounds like these will be the new prices starting next week.

For a few examples, the Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc went from $15 a glass to $19 a glass (promotional materials advertised Cloudy Bay as being covered under the Premium drink package but clearly it will not be). The Mer Soleil Chardonnay which was previously available for $12 a glass is no longer available by the glass.  The Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay previously available for $15 a glass is now $20 a glass. A number of their wines like the Nikiara by Le Vine and the Frescobaldi Chianti were previously available for $13 a glass are no longer available by the glass.

Good Spirits doesn’t list a price for their drinks on their menu so I haven’t been able to confirm if some cocktails will be going up as well. I’ll try to do some comparisons over the next few days but clearly prices are going up.

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Thanks 2

🤔  so your saying a 40 % increase/glass for  a chardonnay that would cost me fifty dollars a bottle retail ? and by the way I'm on my third glass as we speak 🍷

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I, too, suspected this would happen...I'm trying REALLY hard to stick with Princess, but they are making it tough!

Drink packages are going up on other lines as well. It’s basic economics. As land prices rise so will cruise prices. Princess has one of the cheapest beverage packages Compared to RCI and NCL IMO. Prices below from NCL and RCI (with sale). 

D3B96186-06AC-4EF8-86F8-CF65B06307D1.jpeg

C686CB89-E1BB-4236-A969-2BD94AADB4B8.jpeg

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, c-boy said:

🤔  so your saying a 40 % increase/glass for  a chardonnay that would cost me fifty dollars a bottle retail ? and by the way I'm on my third glass as we speak 🍷

Cheers! I am too! 🍷🍷🍷

• Like 1

To be fair, I've sailed all the major cruise lines since restart, and Princess has the lowest prices I've seen for most cocktails and beer and the best selection of interesting beers. I also found on a HAL ship in April that every bar worker on the ship was a male Filipino, which for a single male isn't much fun for me, but on Majestic I got to know many nice female bartenders and bar staff from at least 10 different countries. The free alcohol you get as Elite, or the ability to trade it for 30 or so espresso drinks, is also pretty nice. Bringing wine to be brought on board is also an option, and they've been very liberal about allowing other drinks brought on board--I even saw a guy bringing back a bottle of tequila in Cabo that wasn't confiscated. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

And it is why BYOW is the way to go, right?  The new higher prices will take some sting out of the higher corkage fee of $20 (hoping that doesn't go up again right away).

• Like 1

This comes as no surprise, but it's still disappointing if they're focusing on elevating drinks prices beyond the Plus price cap rather than offering new, more premium choices for Premier customers.

My cruise will be one of the first to start under the new pricing regime. I can't help thinking some kind of phased introduction would have been better. I think there will be a lot of disgruntled passengers if they step on board and find that very little is covered by their Plus package, particularly if a whole load of wines and cocktails are showing at just above the price cap. Yes, I know you can just pay the extra, but that's kind of not the point... I'd also feel cheated if I'd forked out the significant extra cost for Premier only still to be offered the wines that were previously included on Plus.

I suppose we'll see on Saturday.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, c-boy said:

And which costs Princess significantly less considering they buy it wholesale with no state or Federal taxes to pay.

• Like 2

I’d definitely be tempted to take more wine on board and pay the corkage - we’re on Plus and I was happy to pay the $3 uplift (+18%) for Cloudy Bay, but a $7 uplift would stick in my throat.

I was tempted to upgrade to Premium but (a) there’s so much other stuff included that I wouldn’t be interested in (photos? No thanks) and (b) DH only drinks beer so wouldn’t get anywhere close to the extra cost.

Anyone willing to hazard a guess when the corkage fee will start going up….(again)?

Edited by Martha1974
Typo

6 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I anticipated that this would happen the minute Princess introduced the NEW Princess Premier Beverage Package. Just saw this post on FB - Can anyone verify? FB Post:

Drink Prices are Going Up

Today on the Caribbean Princess, QR codes for the menus started pointing to new menus with new prices. I don’t believe they are charging us these new prices yet.  When I asked for a paper wine menu in the MDR, they gave me the old menu. But after speaking with the server in Vines, it sounds like these will be the new prices starting next week.

For a few examples, the Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc went from $15 a glass to $19 a glass (promotional materials advertised Cloudy Bay as being covered under the Premium drink package but clearly it will not be). The Mer Soleil Chardonnay which was previously available for $12 a glass is no longer available by the glass.  The Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay previously available for $15 a glass is now $20 a glass. A number of their wines like the Nikiara by Le Vine and the Frescobaldi Chianti were previously available for $13 a glass are no longer available by the glass.

Good Spirits doesn’t list a price for their drinks on their menu so I haven’t been able to confirm if some cocktails will be going up as well. I’ll try to do some comparisons over the next few days but clearly prices are going up.

We have upgraded to the Premier package as they stated that Cloudy Bay was included in Premier and this is our favourite wine. I don’t see how they can charge more than the package, when they clearly state it is included.

Hopefully somebody has made an error when entering in the new prices!  If enough people complain they will surely have to correct the price.  

The Facebook post that started this thread was my Facebook post.  Last night, I posted menus on Cruise Critic of Vines in another thread about Premier vs. Plus (those menus are on another device so I can't easily post them here right now).  Here is a link to that post:  

We first noticed it when looking at the dinner menu on the app (although the paper wine menu had the old prices and I was not charged extra for my wine that used to be covered under the old drink package but is not under the new prices).  We then went to talk to Guest Services and ask about drink price increases and they claimed to know nothing about any increase.  As we were sitting in Vines, we asked our favorite server there and he did confirm prices were going up and pointed out that the QR code now points to the new menu.  He expressed concern with having to figure out which drink package people had.  He also made some comment that he thought they would have to do something for us (we are on next week as well) although I don't have as much confidence in Princess.  I also think they would really upset those who paid the upgrade for Premier if Princess at the last minute decided to grandfather in those of us who did not pay to upgrade.

I still haven't been able to confirm if Good Spirits Drinks are going up (they are/were $12). The only updates I notice to Crooners menu are wine prices.  I don't see any increases to cocktails, beers, and liquors.

Edited by prmssk
Added link to other thread
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

The Facebook post that started this thread was my Facebook post.  Last night, I posted menus on Cruise Critic of Vines in another thread about Premier vs. Plus (those menus are on another device so I can't easily post them here right now).  Here is a link to that post:  

We first noticed it when looking at the dinner menu on the app (although the paper wine menu had the old prices and I was not charged extra for my wine that used to be covered under the old drink package but is not under the new prices).  We then went to talk to Guest Services and ask about drink price increases and they claimed to know nothing about any increase.  As we were sitting in Vines, we asked our favorite server there and he did confirm prices were going up and pointed out that the QR code now points to the new menu.  He expressed concern with having to figure out which drink package people had.  He also made some comment that he thought they would have to do something for us (we are on next week as well) although I don't have as much confidence in Princess.  I also think they would really upset those who paid the upgrade for Premier if Princess at the last minute decided to grandfather in those of us who did not pay to upgrade.

I still haven't been able to confirm if Good Spirits Drinks are going up (they are/were $12). The only updates I notice to Crooners menu are wine prices.  I don't see any increases to cocktails, beers, and liquors.

Although our hope was this wouldn't happen, sadly, it was what we expected.

☹️

Thanks for keeping us informed!

I refuse to pay the drink package prices.  I can't drink that much unless a complimentary stay at a Betty Ford Clinic is included.  I usually just purchase some scotch and bourbon as a bon voyage package for delivery to my Luxury Inside Suite and have a wee dram as I'm getting ready for the evening.  Then maybe another in the Elite Lounge, but that's about it.   

Currently, a 375 ml bottle of Jim Beam is $17.70 and a 350 ml bottle of Cutty Sark is also $17.70.

If you have a cruise booked, I wouldn't wait.  Order before the price goes up.

• Like 5

In this Google Drive Folder, I have uploaded screenshots/photos of menus for Crooners, MDR, and Vines as they were earlier in the week on the Caribbean Princess (folders labeled "old") and then the "new" menus that are now displayed as of yesterday through the QR codes around the ship.  They have not started charging us these new prices that I can see but I understand this is what the menus will look like.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12whWAkXXP7K8Al6zWXT09134H-8PwZdr?usp=sharing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, prmssk said:

In this Google Drive Folder, I have uploaded screenshots/photos of menus for Crooners, MDR, and Vines as they were earlier in the week on the Caribbean Princess (folders labeled "old") and then the "new" menus that are now displayed as of yesterday through the QR codes around the ship.  They have not started charging us these new prices that I can see but I understand this is what the menus will look like.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12whWAkXXP7K8Al6zWXT09134H-8PwZdr?usp=sharing

Thanks for posting! While I have you (change of subject) how is the CP? We are on her in December staying in suite R409. Do you happen to know if  the penthouse balconies are wide like on the Grand or shallow like the Royal? Sorry had to ask!☺️

Just now, HBCcruiser said:

Thanks for posting! While I have you (change of subject) how is the CP? We are on her in December staying in suite R409. Do you happen to know if  the penthouse balconies are wide like on the Grand or shallow like the Royal? Sorry had to ask!☺️

We have had no real issues except for feeling a lot of sympathy for servers who can't get the medallion system to work when taking drink orders and lines are long going into the dining rooms for those with reservations between 6 and 8 (which makes no sense).  Otherwise service has been really good and the food has been good.

The Caribbean is a sister ship to the Grand so I would assume the penthouse balconies are like the Grand but I don't have any personal knowledge of them.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, prmssk said:

there's got to be more - maybe off menu - not a single Cab $12 and under???

guess "Vines" may not be our go to anymore if that is true... maybe the other bars?

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

there's got to be more - maybe off menu - not a single Cab $12 and under???

guess "Vines" may not be our go to anymore if that is true... maybe the other bars?

looks like more time in Crooners - which isn't a bad thing - Rodney Strong cab $14 - pretty sure that's what I was drinking in Vines at the end of January covered by PLUS then ...

• Like 1

Just now, voljeep said:

looks like more time in Crooners - which isn't a bad thing - Rodney Strong cab $14 - pretty sure that's what I was drinking in Vines at the end of January covered by PLUS then ...

The Rodney Strong cab is $12 this week so yes, has been covered by plus unit this increase.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The Rodney Strong cab is $12 this week so yes, has been covered by plus unit this increase.

$2 + 18% = $2.36 "extra" per glass - guess I'll have to live with that for now - but we really like Vines pre-dinner and Crooners after dinner - oh well, things change