What's the best thing you've eaten on a Carnival cruise lately?

geochick73

So a few of my favorites off the MDR menu:

The grilled salmon and Caeser salad is always a good combo.  Lasagna Bolognese was very good, the fried chicken is good and the shrimp cocktails are always tasty (usually order two).

For desert we've liked this version of the baked Alaska far more than the last, and the key lime mousse is a very good sleeper selection as well.  

We've learned to stay away from the "From the grill - grilled chicken breast" as it's usually a dry, dense piece of chicken that feels like it was pulled from a TV dinner.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indytraveler83 said:

So a few of my favorites off the MDR menu:

The grilled salmon and Caeser salad is always a good combo.  Lasagna Bolognese was very good, the fried chicken is good and the shrimp cocktails are always tasty (usually order two).

For desert we've liked this version of the baked Alaska far more than the last, and the key lime mousse is a very good sleeper selection as well.  

We've learned to stay away from the "From the grill - grilled chicken breast" as it's usually a dry, dense piece of chicken that feels like it was pulled from a TV dinner.  

My wife usually orders the grilled salmon at least once every cruise. And believe it or not Carnival's caesar salad is her standard by which all others are measured.

Shrimp cocktail is my go-to appetizer and the lasagna is really good too! And I love the brisket.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mz-s said:

My wife usually orders the grilled salmon at least once every cruise. And believe it or not Carnival's caesar salad is her standard by which all others are measured.

Shrimp cocktail is my go-to appetizer and the lasagna is really good too! And I love the brisket.

Now I’ve got to get this Caesar salad.  

2 minutes ago, exarkkun said:

The Mango Cream fruit soup, Root Vegetables in a Pie Crust, Bitter n Blanc, and the Beef Tenderloin were the standout items on my Splendor cruise in May.

The beef tenderloin seems to be on several people’s lists…will try it for sure.   I’m looking forward to the fruity soups too!

Limiting to MDR food because of ecstasy. The BBQ ribs have been good the last couple cruises. I also like the corn that comes with them. The beans...not so much. Shrimp cocktail is always good. Cobb Salad is really good. Grand Marnier Souffle and Bitter n Blanc are my favorite desserts.

Brunch - steak n eggs, skillet cake, the burger with egg (forget the name)

port day breakfast - avocado toast, french toast

Deli - I've been getting a reuben at least once a cruise. If i want to stash a cold sandwich in the fridge I'll go turkey.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geochick73 said:

The fruity soups are definitely on my list, I’ve never tried any of them!  Thx for the other suggestions!

I just don’t get the appeal here on the “fruity soups”. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve ordered the strawberry soup (Dream & Elation). Each time it just tasted like a creamy smoothie.

I did like the presentation though.

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

I just don’t get the appeal here on the “fruity soups”. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve ordered the strawberry soup (Dream & Elation). Each time it just tasted like a creamy smoothie.

I did like the presentation though.

🛳🛳

Bobbi

I got that recipe if anyone wants it.

Strawberry Bisque for 4 - 6 persons

INGREDIENTS

Strawberry IQF 16 oz.
Ice cream vanilla bulk 6 oz.
Cream heavy fresh 3 oz.
Creamer half & half 10 oz.
Sour cream 1 tsp
Mint fresh for garnish
Salt & pepper pinch to enhance flavor
Sugar white granulated to taste

PROCEDURE
• Blend strawberries to a smooth paste.
• Combine all ingredients together (Strawberry puree | ice
cream | heavy cream | milk | sour cream) with stick blender.
Adjust consistency & check seasoning. Refrigerate
• Serve in chilled soup cups and garnish with mint sprig as
illustrated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We really liked the shrimp tostadas on the lido buffet ….must be the Mexican food day?  I also liked the vegetarian Indian in MDR, and you can order ahead for the next evening and try the non-vegetarian Indian which we did on our last cruise and it was so delicious! The root vegetables in a pie crust was also a favorites, along with the grilled shrimps. For breakfast, in MDR, I like the Broken egg Sandwich.  The shrimp salad was also really good on the sea day brunch menu.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Thanks St Greg. 🙂  Now, that I read the ingredients it seems more like an extra creamy milk shake. Put it in a glass & call it dessert 🥰🥰

🛳🛳

Bobbi

i have heard of people on here ordering the fruit soups and asking for them in a glass.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Thanks St Greg. 🙂  Now, that I read the ingredients it seems more like an extra creamy milk shake. Put it in a glass & call it dessert 🥰🥰

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Exactly! It's more of a dessert than anything else. 

• Like 1

I hesitate to evaluate any cruise now compared to pre-pandemic.  They are still shaking things out I think. 

The thing that really stands out  on our May cruise was the French toast in the MDR sea day brunch.  Best French toast I think I've ever had.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, geochick73 said:

Now I’ve got to get this Caesar salad.  

I think she prefers the ones from the MDR over the ones you get at pizza pirate but they're both good and probably very similar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

The Indian vegetarian in the MDR. Not because I’m a vegetarian. It was just really that good. Had it in addition to other entrees almost every night. 

We do this too! Almost every night the Better Half and I each order an entree of our own, plus split an order of the Indian Vegetarian 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Quality of Guy's was much lower in Feb and May.  The meat was  inferior.  

It has been like that for a few years now. In the very beginning those burgers were awesome. No longer. Last one I had was crisp and you could see through it. Not kidding. I have them make one for me. Put it on the grill, flatten it ONCE. Turn it over once. Then you get a very nice juicy burger.

• Like 3