Water bottles!

Sallyandtex

We finally booked a cruise ex Sydney to NZ in November. 

I am in the process of planning.

I always walk around with my re-fillable water bottle, and definitely take it when going ashore.

I am seeing this on the website, I can't buy "cans" of water, and wouldn't want to keep purchasing water on board to throw the bottle away. 

Can I thus take a non-plastic refillable bottle (aluminium) for the ship and shore?

"Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. "

I'm going with the assumption that the rules are uniform fleetwide.  We just got off Eurodam with refillable water bottle, mine is aluminum and my daughter's is sturdy plastic, no issues at all taking them on board so long as they're empty when you go through security.

• Like 1

No issue bringing a refillable water bottle onboard. Just note that to fill it, you should use a ship's cup and dump the water in, then get a new cup and repeat, until full.

I have also found that servers with pitchers are happy to top you off, as are the bartenders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On the NS in March they had a photo on the water/ice dispenser in the lido showing how to fill your refillable water bottle.  Basically said don't touch it to the machine when filling.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

No issue bringing a refillable water bottle onboard. Just note that to fill it, you should use a ship's cup and dump the water in, then get a new cup and repeat, until full.

I have also found that servers with pitchers are happy to top you off, as are the bartenders.

I also bring a collapsible silicone funnel to use when filling my bottle. It makes it a bit easier to get some ice and water or tea in the bottle without it spilling all over the place. 

I've gotten many comments on what a good idea it is it over the years. 

• Like 2

Is this a new rule?  We did a cruise on HAL in 2019 and were allowed to bring 12 cans of unopened soda on board at the beginning of the cruise.  I also bought additional sodas from a grocery store during a port call and they had no problem with bringing them on board.

Edited by ewildcat7

22 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

Is this a new rule?  We did a cruise on HAL in 2019 and were allowed to bring 12 cans of unopened soda on board at the beginning of the cruise.  I also bought additional sodas from a grocery store during a port call and they had no problem with bringing them on board.

Yes, it's new.

1 hour ago, WriterOnDeck said:
1 hour ago, ewildcat7 said:

Yes, it's new.

Well, this is disappointing.  I understand HAL's rationale - they want me to buy the drink package.  But I am a Pepsi man - I don't like Coke.  Which is why, in the past, I have brought my own Pepsi on board.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by ewildcat7

Everytime I see someone walking around with a plastic water bottle, I think to myself, "What???"  We've gotten so conditioned to thinking that plastic is a horrible sin.  Then I go to the supermarket and see all the chicken wrapped in tons of hard plastic, especially the organic kind, and I really think the markets are bonkers to sell that stuff . Plastic is very bad for the ocean and our planet, for sure, but I wish it was all banned. Ok, off my soapbox.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I just refill mine from my room tap. HAL water has always tasted fine to me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

If you go by the bag, fold or roll items and leave NO airspace (you know what I mean, of course there's always air). This is what I got in a bag:

bag o laundry.JPG

Sorry. This was put here by mistake.

• Haha 2

• 10 months later...
7 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Where can you buy cans of water? I don't remember seeing it on the shelves of supermarkets.

Things like Lacroix are allowed - flavored but not sweetened waters.  

• Like 1

HAL needs to get with the program and install some water bottle filling stations.  There were folks on the Eurodam last week who apparently couldn’t comprehend the instructions to not touch your bottle to the nozzle.  I was disgusted.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

HAL needs to get with the program and install some water bottle filling stations.  There were folks on the Eurodam last week who apparently couldn’t comprehend the instructions to not touch your bottle to the nozzle.  I was disgusted.  

I agree with you, very frustrating that they fill the bottles with the sign right in front of them. The staff will not say a word.

25 minutes ago, artvlay said:

I agree with you, very frustrating that they fill the bottles with the sign right in front of them. The staff will not say a word.

Yeah, that sign is for others, not them 😛😉.  Hal should be saying something though. I try very hard to limit my water drinking from communal areas because some people are 🤮.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Things like Lacroix are allowed - flavored but not sweetened waters.  

I sure wish in unlimited quantities instead of 12 for cruise duration.  All I drink is Aha and I understand it’s hit or miss on finding onboard.  

I am guessing the Perrier they stock is not flavored. 

48 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

I sure wish in unlimited quantities instead of 12 for cruise duration.  All I drink is Aha and I understand it’s hit or miss on finding onboard.  

I am guessing the Perrier they stock is not flavored. 

I am a Perrier fan and no it is not flavored at least last time I sailed.  

My predicament is diabetic with Atrial Fib... no sugar, no caffeine.... I hope they stock enough beverage pack water or there might be a mutiny. Was hoping to purchase some onshore at ports, but guess not.

3Shelaghs - When I was on the Niew Statendam last August, there were sugar free desserts including sugar free ice cream every day.  I don't drink decaf coffee, but

I'm sure they must have had that too.

1 hour ago, 3Shelaghs said:

My predicament is diabetic with Atrial Fib... no sugar, no caffeine.... I hope they stock enough beverage pack water or there might be a mutiny. Was hoping to purchase some onshore at ports, but guess not.

What is beverage pack water?  Anyway you can fill out a special request for diabetic menu here.   https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

• Like 1