Asking for upgrade onboard

mvaldes140

8 minutes ago, mvaldes140 said:

Has anyone done this before? If so, what did you ask when you went to guest services, and how often does it work?

Thanks!

Pre Covid, ships were usually sailing close to or at full capacity, so there was typIcally a sign at guest services saying the ship was full and no cabin changes were available.

when the ships started sailing again at lower capacities 50-60% and lower, passengers reported getting complimentary upgrades by asking at guest services and this varied by ship. 

Last December, I was talking to the Loyalty and Events Manager and she shared the hotel manager told her he would not be granting free upgrades anymore as he did not want passengers to book lower categories knowing they had a good opportunity to get upgraded for free.

Friend of mine on the Majestic reported about the same time, when they asked for availability of upgrades, they were given a per person rate/ per day for a few higher categories. 

If upgrades on the ship are available, you will most likely be quoted a per person rate/per day . Occasionally, you will hear of the free upgrade.

Pre covid , Princess was known to send out emails to passengers letting them know of a paid upgrade opportunity on a first come basis at a fixed rate, unlike another cruise line that has a bidding system run by a third party..

• Like 2

Grand Princess May 25th, under 50% capacity, offered upgrade from ocean view to balcony for $20 a day.  We always book what we know we’ll be happy with so have never had to do this.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks. We’re going to be on the Grand Princess on July 6th. We already have a balcony but it’s always nice to have something a bit nicer and had heard about this but wasn’t really sure how to go about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mvaldes140 said:

Ok, thanks. We’re going to be on the Grand Princess on July 6th. We already have a balcony but it’s always nice to have something a bit nicer and had heard about this but wasn’t really sure how to go about it.

You can try. They'll say yes, no or how much do you want to pay.

• Haha 1

In Dec we upgraded Balcony to Minisuite for $30 per day (not per person)

In March we upgraded Balcony to Minisuite for $40 per day

In April the ship was full, no upgrades

In June we didn't bother to ask

On my December cruise, an employee was taking down names and cabin numbers of people wanting upgrades/upsells. He was doing it in front of the desk, allowing the pursers behind the desk to help others. He said that people chosen for upsells would be notified by the next day and told of what it would cost. I decided not to add my name to the list.

In November 2021 asked for upgrade from interior to Balcony, given upgrade for 2 B2B free

In March, my balcony room had heavy vibration.  I contacted floor manager, he offered an upgrade to a mini suite, free.  Then they let us stay for B2B.  I was shocked, but so happy. 

On 6/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, mvaldes140 said:

All you can do is try, but it's unlikely, don't get your hopes up