Carnival Magic - few questions

wezie

Hi.  I haven't sailed in many years and have a few questions.  We are sailing on the Magic in June...is Carnival sailing with a full ship?  Just wasn't sure what they are doing sine covid.  Also, what are hey doing about muster drills?  I am so excited to be cruising again!  🙂 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wezie said:

Hi.  I haven't sailed in many years and have a few questions.  We are sailing on the Magic in June...is Carnival sailing with a full ship?  Just wasn't sure what they are doing sine covid.  Also, what are hey doing about muster drills?  I am so excited to be cruising again!  🙂 

Thats impossible to tell. Im pretty sure there are no capacity restrictions because of covid however they might be doing some because of staffing issues. I went on the Magic in sept and id say back then it was 60-65% and i did the Liberty afew months ago that was probably about the same....maybe closer to 70%. The muster drills are super easy now. Mine was done in the dining room....took maybe 3 minutes. When you say June, do you mean of next year or like this week?

11 minutes ago, matymil said:

Thats impossible to tell. Im pretty sure there are no capacity restrictions because of covid however they might be doing some because of staffing issues. I went on the Magic in sept and id say back then it was 60-65% and i did the Liberty afew months ago that was probably about the same....maybe closer to 70%. The muster drills are super easy now. Mine was done in the dining room....took maybe 3 minutes. When you say June, do you mean of next year or like this week?

Thank you...sorry...meant July!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wezie said:

For muster you are to watch the safety video on your stateroom TV and also report physically to your muster station

Our first post-restart cruise was on Magic last September, she was at around 60% capacity then (and at times it seemed like a ghost ship, but in a good way).  Now Carnival seems to be filling as many cabins as they can sell, so no more ghost ships.

And yes, for the muster drill just watch the safety video on your TV as well as go to your muster station (there's a map on the inside of your cabin door) to watch a quick demonstration of how to put on your life jackets and get checked in.

1 hour ago, wezie said:

Thank you...sorry...meant July!

Same here. July 18th for me. Yeah i have no idea how crowded our ship will be. Last i checked there was a decent amount of availability but again you never know because they could start capping it for staffing reasons

We are sailing Magic on Tuesday.  There are no cabins available for our sailing.   I am sure we are at 100% capacity - not like when I sailed in January (40%) and February (60%).   I would do muster as soon as you get on the ship.  As for watching it in the cabin - it will probably be on the tv when you get to your cabin.  Not "required" to watch it, but it wouldn't hurt!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

We are sailing Magic on Tuesday.  There are no cabins available for our sailing.   I am sure we are at 100% capacity - not like when I sailed in January (40%) and February (60%).   I would do muster as soon as you get on the ship.  As for watching it in the cabin - it will probably be on the tv when you get to your cabin.  Not "required" to watch it, but it wouldn't hurt!

So you do the muster whenever you want?  There isn't an assigned time?  My sailing is sold out.  I was wondering if that meant sold out at 100% or less.  I guess I will find out soon.  🙂 

Not an assigned time, but must be done before the ship sails.  They will log your attendance. As stated above, knock it out as soon as you get onboard. Generally takes less than 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wezie said:

So you do the muster whenever you want?  There isn't an assigned time?  My sailing is sold out.  I was wondering if that meant sold out at 100% or less.  I guess I will find out soon.  🙂 

You are “supposed” to do the muster drill first before you take off for lido for lunch, etc.  There’s no assigned time. Just go to your station, watch a short demo of how to use your life jacket, have your sail and sign card scanned (or boarding pass if you haven’t gotten your card yet) and that’s pretty much it. So much easier! It’s recommended to watch the safety video on your cabin tv as well. Keep in mind, if everyone doesn’t do muster, the ship won’t sail until all done, or if you try to buy a drink after a certain time, you can’t until you’ve done muster. Works very well.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:10 AM, wezie said:

We have never watched the video. Just gone to  the assigned muster station  as soon as we board, get it out of the way. No waiting, takes 5 to 10 minutes of your time. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bernardo62 said:

Everyone  is a Carnival expert!!! This is so funny! I don't know who to believe.

More helpful if you ask a specific question. To the OP's questions...

1. Carnival is sailing with as close to capacity as they can. They are doing this with reduced staff even which makes things difficult or appear busy. But that is changing with the new Visa issue resolved.
  2. How is muster done? You watch the videos on the app. Then you go to your assigned muster station, meet with the rep there that scans your S&S card, marks that you came by, and demonstrates putting on the life vest. 

That is pretty much it for this thread's questions.

Just got off The Magic this morning. I don't know the exact number of people on the ship but it was CROWDED. Be prepared to wait in lines for most everything. With that said, the staff was fantastic and did what they could to keep the lines moving. If you go with the expectations of crowds it will be much easier to deal with. I had a fantastic time overall. 
The muster is as stated above, quick and easy.

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

More helpful if you ask a specific question. To the OP's questions...

1. Carnival is sailing with as close to capacity as they can. They are doing this with reduced staff even which makes things difficult or appear busy. But that is changing with the new Visa issue resolved.
  2. How is muster done? You watch the videos on the app. Then you go to your assigned muster station, meet with the rep there that scans your S&S card, marks that you came by, and demonstrates putting on the life vest. 

That is pretty much it for this thread's questions.

I rest my case!!! 

EVERYONE IS A CARNIVAL CRUISE EXPERT!!!! LMAO

So we just got off the Magic yesterday. Muster drill - a breeze. Go up to the check-in point without your life jacket. Scan in, listen to a few minute drill and you're on the way. 

Was the ship full? YES! Lines like crazy and people everywhere. A huge communication issue on the ship itself with staff members, officers, and other employees. I honestly have to say I've not seen anything like this in all the cruising that we've done. There are many other things that need repair and fixing, but I don't want to post off topic here - that is for my review which I will post later.

I really, really hope they sort things out (for future passengers). After our cruise on the Magic, we will very likely not board this ship again. We really are thinking about not booking another Carnival cruise ever due to this sailing. As you can see, we've been on quite a few. 

49 minutes ago, kodiac said:

So we just got off the Magic yesterday. Muster drill - a breeze. Go up to the check-in point without your life jacket. Scan in, listen to a few minute drill and you're on the way. 

Was the ship full? YES! Lines like crazy and people everywhere. A huge communication issue on the ship itself with staff members, officers, and other employees. I honestly have to say I've not seen anything like this in all the cruising that we've done. There are many other things that need repair and fixing, but I don't want to post off topic here - that is for my review which I will post later.

I really, really hope they sort things out (for future passengers). After our cruise on the Magic, we will very likely not board this ship again. We really are thinking about not booking another Carnival cruise ever due to this sailing. As you can see, we've been on quite a few. 

Looking forward to your review!

1 hour ago, kodiac said:

I too was on the magic. Having sailed on other crowded ships on other cruise lines, i guess i gotten used to having lines and the lines did bother me. all of the lines i was on moved quickly . The only issue i had on this cruise was tendering at half moon cay and way how the they organize the tours on the island

4 hours ago, ladychater said:

Looking forward to your review!

Thanks. I'm waiting a few more days to cool off a bit so I can provide constructive criticism and point out the positives and negatives. I expected a bit better in a lot of areas. Some the cruise line is in control over, some they are not. 

18 hours ago, kodiac said:

.....A huge communication issue on the ship itself with staff members, officers, and other employees. I honestly have to say I've not seen anything like this in all the cruising that we've done. There are many other things that need repair and fixing....

As I'd mentioned earlier, I was on Magic for my first post-Covid cruise last September.  I noticed the same thing, just a lot of little items that needed repair.  Burnt out light bulbs in the atrium, a broken drawer in our cabin (although thankfully it was still functional), the fridge wouldn't get cold (although that's pretty common on most Carnival ships).  I'd have thought basic stuff like that could have been sorted out during the shutdown.

But hey, it sounds like Magic has invented a new sporting event for the rowdier crowd - Early AM fights.

Edited by groundloop
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kodiac said:

Thanks. I'm waiting a few more days to cool off a bit so I can provide constructive criticism and point out the positives and negatives. I expected a bit better in a lot of areas. Some the cruise line is in control over, some they are not. 

Waiting for the review too.   I've been on 3 NCL post-pandemic cruises, with capacity raging from "is anyone else on board" to "the elevator is full" but each one was wonderful.  Even the "quasi-crowded" one never had lines.

I'm going on the Magic in Sept...which generally draws a more mature (in age anyway) crowd and the kids will be back in school. I hope it isn't a mistake.