TPG provides warning for European Travel Dates

Clay Clayton

Thank you for sharing. 
A long list, but not even complete.
In addition, there is a lack of security control staff, which means long queues and long waiting times at most European airports.  be

Be in good time at the airport and fly out a few days earlier. Might easily be delayed a day.

When traveling to Europe (EU airlines only) and in Europe be aware of EU regulation 261/04: Your rights as a passenger - compensation when delays, cancellations or denied boarding 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the information! I'm flying into Heathrow on Delta in mid Aug. How can we prepare or will we need to if we will be flying in with a different carrier? Should I think about getting the TSA precheck or Global Entry to elevate yet another line delay. I'm not sure the Heathrow utilizes Global Entry, but the TSA pass might help.   

1 hour ago, styme123 said:

Thank you so much for the information! I'm flying into Heathrow on Delta in mid Aug. How can we prepare or will we need to if we will be flying in with a different carrier? Should I think about getting the TSA precheck or Global Entry to elevate yet another line delay. I'm not sure the Heathrow utilizes Global Entry, but the TSA pass might help.  

Global Entry is a program to expedite immigration procedures INTO the United States.

TSA is a USA government agency that is responsible for airline security screening IN the United States.

Neither is applicable at LHR.

2 hours ago, styme123 said:

How can we prepare ... ?

Do some yoga and learn some meditative techniques.

That's actually only half in jest. You need to be prepared for the possibility that you may be standing in long queues for a long time, and that nothing you do (either in advance or at the time) will change anything about them or about the length of time that you will have to wait in them. After all, you are no different from most of the tens of thousands of other people arriving at Heathrow on the same morning as you, so you have no claim to special or expedited treatment. So you have two choices: get really stressed and make yourself unhappy, or just mentally relax and go with the flow.

Using the e-gates for passport control is one thing that may help on the day, if you qualify to use them.

I believe that there is in theory an option for expediting your way through Heathrow arrivals. However, from a recent tweet by Boy George (who didn't avail himself of this service), it seems that the price tag is £3,000 per person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Global Entry is a program to expedite immigration procedures INTO the United States.

TSA is a USA government agency that is responsible for airline security screening IN the United States.

Neither is applicable at LHR.

Oh okay I thought that the TSA precheck would help me with lines leaving JFK to LHR and getting on the plane faster.

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

That's actually only half in jest. You need to be prepared for the possibility that you may be standing in long queues for a long time, and that nothing you do (either in advance or at the time) will change anything about them or about the length of time that you will have to wait in them. After all, you are no different from most of the tens of thousands of other people arriving at Heathrow on the same morning as you, so you have no claim to special or expedited treatment. So you have two choices: get really stressed and make yourself unhappy, or just mentally relax and go with the flow.

Using the e-gates for passport control is one thing that may help on the day, if you qualify to use them.

I believe that there is in theory an option for expediting your way through Heathrow arrivals. However, from a recent tweet by Boy George (who didn't avail himself of this service), it seems that the price tag is £3,000 per person.

I don't mind waiting on the lines so to speak, I just am nervous I will miss my flight all together and can't make my cruise. We are leaving on a late night flight on a Thurs landing on Fri at 11:00am for our cruise on Saturday. I would have liked to leave on an earlier day but it's a problem for my husband to get an extra day off.

5 minutes ago, styme123 said:

I don't mind waiting on the lines so to speak, I just am nervous I will miss my flight all together and can't make my cruise. We are leaving on a late night flight on a Thurs landing on Fri at 11:00am for our cruise on Saturday.

Is LHR you final destination.? If yes you should have plenty of time. 

5 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Is LHR you final destination.? If yes you should have plenty of time. 

Yes we are sailing out of Southampton. It's a non-stop flight. I was thinking the 11:00pm flight would be less busy as well. But it might be worse if there is only a late night skeleton crew at that time.

17 minutes ago, styme123 said:

I just am nervous I will miss my flight all together and can't make my cruise.

OK, it was your references to Heathrow, in a thread about problems at European airports, that made us think that you were concerned about what would happen when you reach the UK.

1 minute ago, Globaliser said:

OK, it was your references to Heathrow, in a thread about problems at European airports, that made us think that you were concerned about what would happen when you reach the UK.

I was worried that my flight from JFK would be delayed or canceled due to Heathrow not being able to receive the flight so to speak. Are the delays only for flights leaving not coming in? 

9 minutes ago, styme123 said:

I was worried that my flight from JFK would be delayed or canceled due to Heathrow not being able to receive the flight so to speak. Are the delays only for flights leaving not coming in? 

There are delays and cancellations all round, but there's nothing you can do in advance about them. Your schedule would be likely to tolerate a delay. For cancellations, changing flights won't help because you can't know whether your old flight or your new flight is more likely to be cancelled. What could help is changing dates, but you've said that you can't do that.

We're worrying about the same thing. Our flight is just a quick hop across the Baltic and the North Sea to Gatwick, but I'm already wondering if I should have taken the extra day instead of booking an evening flight the day before our cruise. I'm hoping that we can travel carry-on only, which should get rid of some of the stress with baggage? Otherwise, if we get cancelled we can still make it on the earliest flight in the morning... but definitely got trip insurance in case. 

4 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Otherwise, if we get cancelled we can still make it on the earliest flight in the morning... but definitely got trip insurance in case. 

Remember that "trip insurance" is NOT to ensure that you make your flights or your cruise, but rather is protection against financial loss for issues that are covered by the policy.

And there is no one blanket definition of what those issues may be.  You must know what your particular policy does and does not cover - what the triggers are for coverage and what the exclusions are.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Globaliser said:

His first class ticket meant nothing...Victoria Beckham's did :classic_laugh:

18 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember that "trip insurance" is NOT to ensure that you make your flights or your cruise, but rather is protection against financial loss for issues that are covered by the policy.

And there is no one blanket definition of what those issues may be.  You must know what your particular policy does and does not cover - what the triggers are for coverage and what the exclusions are.

Um, yes? That's the point. If we can't make it, the insurance covers the financial loss, which is what insurance is for. 

15 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

Um, yes? That's the point. If we can't make it, the insurance covers the financial loss, which is what insurance is for.

Too many people don't understand that, and think that "insurance" replaces contingency planning.

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Her first class ticket didn't mean anything either. It was the £3,000 per person extra that she paid on top of that.

Oh...gotcha...I thought it was her supposed status that allowed her to get off first. Thanks for clearing up that everything is for sale at a price.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Too many people don't understand that, and think that "insurance" replaces contingency planning.

This is true. Unfortunately, I come from the anxiety ridden "worst case scenario" tribe, so we've got enough contingency plans to make our own eye chart, covering everything from hopping a cheap flight to meet our cruise in the next port (bless the EU and their non-closed-loop rules) to taking an impromptu land vacation in the UK to packing it all in and going home for an un-structured staycation. 

I think I'd still rather make the cruise, though. 🙂