American Airlines Premium Economy

RTR 21-0

12 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The 787 has the touch screen windows.  You can lighten or darken the windows by touching them.  The 777 is an old aircraft;  at least 20 years old; so the technology would not be as advanced as the 787.

Newer/more "advanced" is not always better.

Give me the steam-age technology of the 777's window blinds any time. You can't completely darken the windows on a 787. This is the reason why some airlines operating them carry window blanks in the cabin, so that pax can ask for them to shut out the light completely.

In addition, the 777 was built like the proverbial brick [outhouse]. That has actually been tested in real-life conditions, although mercifully only a handful of times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Newer/more "advanced" is not always better.

Give me the steam-age technology of the 777's window blinds any time. You can't completely darken the windows on a 787. This is the reason why some airlines operating them carry window blanks in the cabin, so that pax can ask for them to shut out the light completely.

In addition, the 777 was built like the proverbial brick [outhouse]. That has actually been tested in real-life conditions, although mercifully only a handful of times.

Thank you for your feedback.  I appreciate your answers.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

In what way?  Size?  When I first flew on a 777, I thought:  larger plane, larger restroom.  Boy, was I wrong!  

The bathroom I used on 787 was big enough to turn around and almost big enough to change your clothes.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AF-1 said:

The bathroom I used on 787 was big enough to turn around and almost big enough to change your clothes.  

Wow!  I would like to have the opportunity to fly on a 787.  I'd like to experience the touch screen windows and the improved air system.  Don't expect that type of plane to service DAY anytime in the future.  Maybe CVG or CMH?  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Wow!  I would like to have the opportunity to fly on a 787.  I'd like to experience the touch screen windows and the improved air system.  Don't expect that type of plane to service DAY anytime in the future.  Maybe CVG or CMH?  

We don't have 787's in CVG; but I do fly them when I connect thru ATL or DET

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Wow!  I would like to have the opportunity to fly on a 787.  I'd like to experience the touch screen windows and the improved air system. 

Just to be clear....the windows are not "touch screen".  They are photo-chromatic and are controlled by a pair of button switches below the window.  If you press your finger on the window itself, all you will get is a flattened fingertip.

Yes I did mispeak.  FlyerTalker is correct. there are two buttons at the bottom of the window.  It is still real cool to be able to lighten and darken the window verses pulling down the shade.  I like to be able to watch outside to see what is going on.

Edited by AF-1

There is one upside to the photo-chromatic windows.  If someone insists on being able to look outside, at least it's through a darkened window rather than a fully opened shade.  That dark cabin is so essential on long flights.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It would probably take a European airline, subsidized by local government, to see a 787 in CVG or CMH. DL is bringing back CVG-CDG, but with a 763 (and DL doesn't even have 787s, only A350s). There just isn't really a market there, unfortunately. 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, rkacruiser said:

When I first flew on a 777, I thought:  larger plane, larger restroom.  Boy, was I wrong!  

Bathroom configurations are down to the owner/lessor of the aircraft.

Generally the widebody aircraft have a bit more scope for offering larger or even huge bathrooms. AA, amongst other carriers, have large bathrooms on some of their 777 aircraft.

• Like 1