Viking Mimir Grand European Tour 7-1-22; "Live"

StartrainDD

18 minutes ago, StartrainDD said:

Tuesday, July 5, Cruising the Main River & Miltenberg Germany

No reason to rush out early this morning! I did go to get coffee and tea at about 7:45 and there were few folks yet out and about. We went to breakfast at about 9:30 and finished just in time for the 10:00 Live Glass-Blowing Demonstration in the lounge. The glass-blowing demonstration was a lot of fun. Of course there was an opportunity to do some shopping and we did make a few purchases.

Afterwards, we found a table in the Aquavit terrace and waited for lunch while taking in the scenery. Today the chef was grilling Norwegian Salmon, so DW added a slice of salmon to her salad. I enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich and it was very good.

We were running a little behind schedule. The Eistla stopped in Freudenberg to disembark the guests for the tour of Miltenberg or one of the optional tours and we left the ship at about 3:20 PM. We had to take coaches back east a short distance to Miltenberg. We had an enjoyable enough tour showing the old buildings, some dating back to the 14th century, as well as some newer constructs. Our guide explained how all the buildings had their lower floor replaced with stone as due to previous floods the original wood beams would eventually rot.

Our tour ended at about 5:00 and we were to rejoin the buses at 6:00. If we hadn't already been so well fed there were opportunities for Bavarian pretzels, ice cream shops, beer or wine. I tried to follow a sign to a supermarket but we never did find it. The historic tourist area was very clean and tidy. Once we ventured outside of that area however we found the town to be dirty with trash strewn about, like no one cared. We arrived at the bus meeting spot at 5:50 and two buses were waiting. We boarded the same bus we arrived on and found it to be nearly full. Leaving just after 6:00 we arrived at Wertheim about 30 minutes later to rejoin the ship but it had not yet arrived. At about 6:45 the Eistla arrived and by the time everyone boarded it was after 7:00.

We were in our cabin when the program director said the dining room was open and the port talk would be held at 9:00. We then went to dinner and found our new friends and enjoyed a very nice dinner. DW and I both had the recommended Duck entree and it was very good. My dessert with the Apple Sacher Tart which was superb.

The port talk about tomorrow was a bit disappointing. We are to arrive in Wurzburg at 1:00 with the tours leaving at 1:45. The main attraction is the Wurzburg Bishops Residence (Palace) and we were told that 1: they still require masks; and 2: No photography is allowed. We may just do our own thing in Wurzburg as Rick Steve's has a nice chapter on Wurzburg in our Germany tour-book.

Afterwards we took a few photos off the front of the Eistla as every bend in the river has more interest and called it an evening.

I have a few thoughts about some surprises we've encountered and I may have time to write them up and try posting a few photos tomorrow morning.

Are you saying the OLD Milton is good but surrounded by garbage???

36 minutes ago, ural guy said:

One of my favorite cruising moments was early morning, like 0500, sitting up front with a coffee while cruising the Main Canal.  We were heading east towards Nuremburg.  The Canal was so narrow, it seemed like we were sailing in people's back yards while the mist was rising.  Amazing they can get a 440' wide boat in some of those spaces.  And where the OP was a few days back, seeing the ships 3 wide in some places as they pass each other.  I also had no idea what a busy corridor it was.

I’m absolutely certain they weren’t 440 feet wide!! I believe they are 11.5 m wide, or less than 38 feet. 

• Thanks 1

Würzburg Residenz is well worth seeing. If you do not feel like going in proper, just take in the interior just behind the big doors (the ticket office is not at the entrance directly and you can sneak in for 30 seconds before an attendant arrives (this is what happened to us last year, but then we decided to tour it and enjoyed it). Not too worry if it does not work. I recommend the park to the right when you face the massively impressive facade, walk around the building and at its rear is the rose garden. Ten minute stroll through it, really good. From there we headed to the shops and the Main river. There are a couple of impressive churches along the way, etc.

The Marienburg is impressive and you can take public transport up there. But I have not been in because one exhibition is closed (masks also required). Very much enjoyed the Würzburger Hofbräu Biergarten at its feet at the bottom of the hill (sort of, bad description of geography by me) a couple of weeks ago.

From 2020:

IMG_20200808_121542.thumb.jpg.771fbafd6df78657e4ade998727a6469.jpg

the square with market

IMG_20200808_123908.thumb.jpg.66837908537314d324037bd1166e8f2b.jpg

The Residence is a challenge to squeeze into a photo!

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy.

notamermaid

• Like 2

After traveling for the 4th of July holiday, I am now catching up on reading Cruise Critic posts.  We are first time river cruisers, and first time Viking cruisers, who booked the same itinerary as you on a whim, when an email was sent to me from Viking, advertising their Anniversary Sale.  We will be traveling on the Baldur from Amsterdam to Budapest on July 31st.  I appreciate your posts (especially the detail), as it gives us a better idea of what to expect.  We have taken numerous ocean cruises, on various lines, but have been told to expect a different experience on a river cruise, which we're open to.

I have a few questions for you, if you might know the answer.  You had mentioned an optional walking tour in Amsterdam on embarkation day.  Is this provided by Viking?  We are arriving in Amsterdam a day ahead of time, and I already purchased tickets for Anne Frank House/Museum.  On embarkation day, we were considering touring the Van Gogh Museum, since it is supposed to be near the ship.  Now I'm wondering if we should plan on the walking tour instead.  Also, I signed up for all of the included tours, but have also purchased additional tours in many of the ports.  You mentioned the Beer Pub tour in Cologne (which I didn't purchase, since we're not beer drinkers).  If you take any of the additional tours, or here reviews of some of the supplemental tours from passengers, please include a note about those.

Otherwise, thanks once again for your informative posts.  They are very helpful, and I will continue to follow along.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Tuesday, July 5, Cruising the Main River & Miltenberg Germany

No reason to rush out early this morning! I did go to get coffee and tea at about 7:45 and there were few folks yet out and about. We went to breakfast at about 9:30 and finished just in time for the 10:00 Live Glass-Blowing Demonstration in the lounge. The glass-blowing demonstration was a lot of fun. Of course there was an opportunity to do some shopping and we did make a few purchases.

Afterwards, we found a table in the Aquavit terrace and waited for lunch while taking in the scenery. Today the chef was grilling Norwegian Salmon, so DW added a slice of salmon to her salad. I enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich and it was very good.

We were running a little behind schedule. The Eistla stopped in Freudenberg to disembark the guests for the tour of Miltenberg or one of the optional tours and we left the ship at about 3:20 PM. We had to take coaches back east a short distance to Miltenberg. We had an enjoyable enough tour showing the old buildings, some dating back to the 14th century, as well as some newer constructs. Our guide explained how all the buildings had their lower floor replaced with stone as due to previous floods the original wood beams would eventually rot.

Our tour ended at about 5:00 and we were to rejoin the buses at 6:00. If we hadn't already been so well fed there were opportunities for Bavarian pretzels, ice cream shops, beer or wine. I tried to follow a sign to a supermarket but we never did find it. The historic tourist area was very clean and tidy. Once we ventured outside of that area however we found the town to be dirty with trash strewn about, like no one cared. We arrived at the bus meeting spot at 5:50 and two buses were waiting. We boarded the same bus we arrived on and found it to be nearly full. Leaving just after 6:00 we arrived at Wertheim about 30 minutes later to rejoin the ship but it had not yet arrived. At about 6:45 the Eistla arrived and by the time everyone boarded it was after 7:00.

We were in our cabin when the program director said the dining room was open and the port talk would be held at 9:00. We then went to dinner and found our new friends and enjoyed a very nice dinner. DW and I both had the recommended Duck entree and it was very good. My dessert with the Apple Sacher Tart which was superb.

The port talk about tomorrow was a bit disappointing. We are to arrive in Wurzburg at 1:00 with the tours leaving at 1:45. The main attraction is the Wurzburg Bishops Residence (Palace) and we were told that 1: they still require masks; and 2: No photography is allowed. We may just do our own thing in Wurzburg as Rick Steve's has a nice chapter on Wurzburg in our Germany tour-book.

Afterwards we took a few photos off the front of the Eistla as every bend in the river has more interest and called it an evening.

I have a few thoughts about some surprises we've encountered and I may have time to write them up and try posting a few photos tomorrow morning.

If you stop in Karlstadt, take a quick walk around the walled town, very quaint.  Then the Bishop's Residenz is beautiful, but you can duck in the Chapel (no charge) to get a good feel for what the inside is like, especially if you do not want to go in to it.  B. Neumann is a nice restaurant and you can sit outside sipping a Silvaner (lovely white wine from region) while enjoying the gardens of the Residenz (free also). The Alte Brucke is very similar to the Charles Bridge in Prague, but an aperol spritz, white wine etc and walk over the bridge and watch the water traffic (there is a lock there) and then return your glass for the refund of the pfand-deposit.  Kupsch is a nice grocery store if you want to buy some wine, they have plenty.  Wohrl has a nice rooftop outside coffee, pretty much on water, beautiful views of the Marian Fortress.  Nice walking city.

Keep us all posted, enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meg1021 said:

After traveling for the 4th of July holiday, I am now catching up on reading Cruise Critic posts.  We are first time river cruisers, and first time Viking cruisers, who booked the same itinerary as you on a whim, when an email was sent to me from Viking, advertising their Anniversary Sale.  We will be traveling on the Baldur from Amsterdam to Budapest on July 31st.  I appreciate your posts (especially the detail), as it gives us a better idea of what to expect.  We have taken numerous ocean cruises, on various lines, but have been told to expect a different experience on a river cruise, which we're open to.

I have a few questions for you, if you might know the answer.  You had mentioned an optional walking tour in Amsterdam on embarkation day.  Is this provided by Viking?  We are arriving in Amsterdam a day ahead of time, and I already purchased tickets for Anne Frank House/Museum.  On embarkation day, we were considering touring the Van Gogh Museum, since it is supposed to be near the ship.  Now I'm wondering if we should plan on the walking tour instead.  Also, I signed up for all of the included tours, but have also purchased additional tours in many of the ports.  You mentioned the Beer Pub tour in Cologne (which I didn't purchase, since we're not beer drinkers).  If you take any of the additional tours, or here reviews of some of the supplemental tours from passengers, please include a note about those.

Otherwise, thanks once again for your informative posts.  They are very helpful, and I will continue to follow along.

Meg0121:  we are also on the Baldur starting July 31 and going a day early to Amsterdam. Also thinking of visiting Van Gogh museum on embarkation day.  Have you put your name down on the roll call page?  Hope we get a chance to meet on the boat,  this is our first river cruise also.

StartrainDD:  thank you so much for your wonderful reports of the cruis!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meg1021 said:

Hello!

Yes, the Amsterdam walking tour is provided by Viking at 1:30 and 3:30 on embarkation day.  If you have been to Amsterdam before, or are going in early and have other plans, my suggestion would be to stick with those other plans.  One thing about the walking tour is it may differ based on exactly where your river ship is docked.  We were in the closest dock to Centrall Station and so our tour was from the dock to the area around the station.

At this time we are not on any of the optional tours, but I will mention other folks reports based on conversations.  We did speak with folks who did the "Gardens and Hike" tour yesterday and they said it was VERY strenuous and also VERY enjoyable.  The climbed on foot up a hill and then 440 steps to a castle overlooking Freudenberg.  Their tour ended at the guide's home where they had a selection of home made treats and beverages.

I should note that Amsterdam would be extremely busy if these days are on a weekend.  We were there in early August before an ocean cruise and it was wall-to-wall people on a Saturday.

Edited by StartrainDD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rcaruso said:

If you stop in Karlstadt, take a quick walk around the walled town, very quaint.  Then the Bishop's Residenz is beautiful, but you can duck in the Chapel (no charge) to get a good feel for what the inside is like, especially if you do not want to go in to it.  B. Neumann is a nice restaurant and you can sit outside sipping a Silvaner (lovely white wine from region) while enjoying the gardens of the Residenz (free also). The Alte Brucke is very similar to the Charles Bridge in Prague, but an aperol spritz, white wine etc and walk over the bridge and watch the water traffic (there is a lock there) and then return your glass for the refund of the pfand-deposit.  Kupsch is a nice grocery store if you want to buy some wine, they have plenty.  Wohrl has a nice rooftop outside coffee, pretty much on water, beautiful views of the Marian Fortress.  Nice walking city.

Keep us all posted, enjoy!

Thank you for your comments.  For whatever reason the "Like" button is not working!

Eastbound cruises stop in Karlstadt.  Westbound ones do not.  I believe Karlstadt may be where the glass-blower's shop actually is.  He has quite a story and is well worth attending his event.

9 hours ago, miltonplane88 said:

Are you saying the OLD Milton is good but surrounded by garbage???

Our friend Milton is doing just fine. Enjoy the last few days with your granddaughters!  Sorry the town with your name was not quite perfect!

Thoughts and observations thus far:

This river cruise is different that what we expected. In particular, overall the food is better than anticipated. On the other hand, the drop off, take a bus, and meet the ship later by bus, was not anticipated and to be honest, we don't care for it. We spoke with the cruise director last night and basically doing this is the only way that the ship can cover the distance required for the journey, taking into account potential delays at the 68 locks. I thought we kind of knew about river cruises after our 2013 trip, but it turns out we didn't.

Entertainment is what we expected. I would like more 'enrichment.' For myself, I am curious about how this waterway came into being and the construction of the 68 locks. When we did a Panama Canal cruise there were many lectures on the canal.

Our cabin is very adequate while it is 'tight.' We use the shelf by the window for storage of electronics, guidebooks, etc. But if DW is seated at the counter no one could get by. The safe is very large. We are not using the refrigerator so for us that is wasted space. The bathroom is tight but it works and our stateroom attendant, Chino, keeps it spotless.

We just learned this morning that one can get a full breakfast served in the Aquavit. On the next really nice weather day, we will try that. I'd rather have breakfast served than serve myself at the buffet in any case.

• Like 1

Like the pics of the windmills, did you get the chance to go inside? As you can tell I’m slightly involved with canals and agree that some explanation is useful, depth of locks, how they work, age etc., I spend a lot of time compiling talks and giving them, so I’m a canal nurd but didn’t get like that until later in life. Keep enjoying.

1 hour ago, StartrainDD said:

....Our cabin is very adequate while it is 'tight.' We use the shelf by the window for storage of electronics, guidebooks, etc. But if DW is seated at the counter no one could get by. The safe is very large. We are not using the refrigerator so for us that is wasted space. The bathroom is tight but it works and our stateroom attendant, Chino, keeps it spotless.....

You call it 'tight', I like to think of it as 'cozy'. 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Like the pics of the windmills, did you get the chance to go inside? As you can tell I’m slightly involved with canals and agree that some explanation is useful, depth of locks, how they work, age etc., I spend a lot of time compiling talks and giving them, so I’m a canal nurd but didn’t get like that until later in life. Keep enjoying.

The Main river which StartrainDD are on now is a standard German highly engineered river, making it a federal waterway, but the Main Danube Canal is "two classes above" in engineering, basically connecting the continent, it should be compulsory teaching on any "Grand European". Some info at least and a bit more for the nerds and tech guys. Perhaps that will come at Bamberg or Nuremberg or when they cross the European watershed (there is a monument there I believe).

notamermaid

Techy term ‘canalised river’ basically straighten it and equalise the depth. We have a book in our archive translated from the French in 1763 it’s a treatise on how to construct a canal. The end plates are amazing but very Heath Robinson.

The French have beautiful canals which some fascinating engineering for that time, i.e. the 18th and 19th centuries. Could not believe it when I first read that the idea of the Main Danube Canal goes back over a 1000 years. But it wasn't the Romans... It was Charlemagne, the Fossa Carolina is an archaeological remnant: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossa_Carolina#/media/Datei:Fossa-luft.jpg

His dream was only realized in the 1990's.

But enough nerdy stuff from me. 😁

Hope they hear all this on board.

notamermaid

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Thank you for your comments.  For whatever reason the "Like" button is not working!

Eastbound cruises stop in Karlstadt.  Westbound ones do not.  I believe Karlstadt may be where the glass-blower's shop actually is.  He has quite a story and is well worth attending his event.

Thanks, I have attended a few of the glassblowers events, his shop is in Wertheim.  Thanks for reporting.

8 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Hello!

Yes, the Amsterdam walking tour is provided by Viking at 1:30 and 3:30 on embarkation day.  If you have been to Amsterdam before, or are going in early and have other plans, my suggestion would be to stick with those other plans.  One thing about the walking tour is it may differ based on exactly where your river ship is docked.  We were in the closest dock to Centrall Station and so our tour was from the dock to the area around the station.

At this time we are not on any of the optional tours, but I will mention other folks reports based on conversations.  We did speak with folks who did the "Gardens and Hike" tour yesterday and they said it was VERY strenuous and also VERY enjoyable.  The climbed on foot up a hill and then 440 steps to a castle overlooking Freudenberg.  Their tour ended at the guide's home where they had a selection of home made treats and beverages.

I should note that Amsterdam would be extremely busy if these days are on a weekend.  We were there in early August before an ocean cruise and it was wall-to-wall people on a Saturday.

Thanks for the information.  Please keep up your posts, if time permits. I am finding out some information about river cruising which is not in the brochures, or anywhere else for that matter, except these message boards.

As I mentioned, we signed up for all of the included tours (with the  exception of Wurzberg, since we are planning on going to Rothenburg for the day, plus signed up for additional tours in quite a few of the ports.  If you hear any reviews, good or bad, for the Surviving Art (Nuremberg), Bavarian Cruise (Passau), Klimt Workshop, Schonbrunn Palace (Vienna), and Life Behind the Iron Curtain (Budapest), mention it, if you can.

Once again, appreciating and enjoying your posts!

10 hours ago, rizello said:

Meg0121:  we are also on the Baldur starting July 31 and going a day early to Amsterdam. Also thinking of visiting Van Gogh museum on embarkation day.  Have you put your name down on the roll call page?  Hope we get a chance to meet on the boat,  this is our first river cruise also.

StartrainDD:  thank you so much for your wonderful reports of the cruis!

I have not joined the roll call page, but will check it out.  As for the Van Gogh Museum, StartrainDD mentions that the ship may, or may not be docked by it.  I don't know when Viking lets us know about docking location, since we're not taking their transportation to the ship.  If it's close, we'll most likely go to the museum.  If not, the Viking walking tour seems like a good choice as well.  We've been to Amsterdam before, but there's always the possibility of seeing or learning new things. I hope to meet you as well.  As newbies, we can learn from each other.

2 hours ago, meg1021 said:

I have not joined the roll call page, but will check it out.  As for the Van Gogh Museum, StartrainDD mentions that the ship may, or may not be docked by it.  I don't know when Viking lets us know about docking location, since we're not taking their transportation to the ship.  If it's close, we'll most likely go to the museum.  If not, the Viking walking tour seems like a good choice as well.  We've been to Amsterdam before, but there's always the possibility of seeing or learning new things. I hope to meet you as well.  As newbies, we can learn from each other.

It is a 30+ minute walk to the Van Gogh museum from Amsterdam Centraal. The piers/docks are thus at least the same distance. Using the tram (#2 to Museumplein stop) will save you some time. The Van Gogh and the Riijksmuseum are both in the same mall area, the Museum District. The Amsterdam tram system is your friend and can get you all over easy peasy. Note that the museums require advance ticket/reservation with an assigned entry time. At least they did as recent as last December. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

On the other hand, the drop off, take a bus, and meet the ship later by bus, was not anticipated and to be honest, we don't care for it. We spoke with the cruise director last night and basically doing this is the only way that the ship can cover the distance required for the journey, taking into account potential delays at the 68 locks. I thought we kind of knew about river cruises after our 2013 trip, but it turns out we didn't.

First, thanks for the photos.

I think your CD gave you accurate information. To avoid that get off at one stop and on at another, either a shorter distance or a longer duration itinerary is needed. We did a similar itinerary and only had one day with a drop off/pick up using two stops.

I’m not certain what you define as enrichment. But you may want to look into Grand Circle Travel (GCT.com). They have three or four trip leaders on board that discuss history, current events, and cultural issues. Also they bring experts on board for discussions. We had a great presentation from an engineer with Main-Danube canal authority. He jumped on at one lock and left at another. 

It is probably best to start a new thread for additional discussion on that company’s trips and style.

The Main definitely requires a good bit of "watch your ship sail away/arrive" to cover the distance(and wait on locks), but it sounds like this started on the Rhine which is a little less common.  I took a Rhine/Main cruse on Amawaterways last fall and it was almost a meme by the end of the cruise as it happened more often than not.  And even in a lot of cases the ship basically only stopped on the other end to pick up up and then left again.

What do find less than ideal about it? the time on the bus?