Air2Sea Not able to get me to cruise: Will RCL issue refund or FCC or just out of luck?

We had a cruise for last Sunday.  With airline problems we never even got off the ground.  Air2Sea attempted to find other flights to get us there, even looking at getting us to the first port stop but no luck.

Anyone have this happen?  Since air was booked through them will the issue a refund or fcc or consider it as a no show?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Just talked to them and was told 100% penalty.  I’ve asked for it to be escalated.

Sure doesn't sound like "Assured arrival" to me.

ASSURED ARRIVAL

When your vacation comes around, you don't want to miss the ship because of flight delays or cancellations. Book airfare through our Air2Sea program and should an issue arise, our Emergency Travel Team will work with our airline partners to do everything possible to get you to your cruise.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

ASSURED ARRIVAL

When your vacation comes around, you don't want to miss the ship because of flight delays or cancellations. Book airfare through our Air2Sea program and should an issue arise, our Emergency Travel Team will work with our airline partners to do everything possible to get you to your cruise.

I agree it is not......

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

We had a cruise for last Sunday.  With airline problems we never even got off the ground.  Air2Sea attempted to find other flights to get us there, even looking at getting us to the first port stop but no luck.

Anyone have this happen?  Since air was booked through them will the issue a refund or fcc or consider it as a no show?

It says "they will do everything possible to get you to your cruise."  It doesn't say it guarantees getting you to your cruise.  Did you have travel insurance?  If not, I think you're out of luck.  We never travel without insurance.  

• Like 1

I get trip insurance (because I travel with young kids and a medical evacuation cost would be devastating if they got sick or injured overseas), but I would totally expect RC to reimburse the OP if their Air2 Sea program failed to get you to the cruise.  If you had booked your own airfare, I'd agree that without insurance you are out of luck, but I'm disappointed they won't help you here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isn't this the point of using Air2Sea...to ensure you make your cruise? Otherwise you can book on your own, save some money and use your Travel Insurance for reimbursement. This makes no sense to me. Plus, I think Ken would know. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

ASSURED ARRIVAL

That's "marketing" speak. See "will work with our airline partners to do everything possible"? They did everything possible. It doesn't say the can or will, only everything possible.

If you actually look at and read the Terms and Conditions in the contract that we all sign there are provisions that say they have no responsibility even when you use their Air2Sea program.

Besides, the days of boarding at a downline port are gone.

Edited by klfrodo

They are your travel agent.  Not travel insurance.  So you mention trying to get to the first port,  how about later?  If they offered you anything and you refused, then it will be up to whatever insurance is provided.  If this was weather related, then insurance such as provided by your credit card should cover.  If it was the airlines fault (like mechanical or no crew), then they should refund airfare.  Cruise who knows??  Let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

Isn't this the point of using Air2Sea...to ensure you make your cruise? Otherwise you can book on your own, save some money and use your Travel Insurance for reimbursement. This makes no sense to me. Plus, I think Ken would know. 😉

With an Air@Sea booking you can use your Travel Insurance. What Air2Sea can also do is try to get you on another airlines flight....giving you more options to get there. The real problems are with the airlines.....flight cancellations/delayed/rerouting etc. And you don't  always save $$$ booking on your own. Open jaw flights like 1 way from/to the US are usually less $$ with Air2Sea.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:24 AM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

did you try to fly in day before or same day of the cruise?

21 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

What Air2Sea can also do is try to get you on another airlines flight....giving you more options to get there. .

Not always.

Air2Sea is a great marketing scheme but is actually just a consolidator. They negotiate years in advance for tickets. The terms and conditions are negotiated. Sometimes these tickets are not transferable, they might have seat limitations, mileage limitations, basically any restrictions are negotiable.

These Air2Sea tickets are NOT the same as someone might purchase directly from the airline. Just like at hotels and rental car agencies whenever there is a problem, people who bought their air travel, hotel res, or car res, are put at the back of the line until "their" customers needs are met. Then other peoples customers.

Having said that, substantial savings can be met by using a consolidator and 99% of the time, no one will know. However, when operations go TU, you find out how much you really saved

15 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Not always.

Air2Sea is a great marketing scheme but is actually just a consolidator. They negotiate years in advance for tickets. The terms and conditions are negotiated. Sometimes these tickets are not transferable, they might have seat limitations, mileage limitations, basically any restrictions are negotiable.

These Air2Sea tickets are NOT the same as someone might purchase directly from the airline. Just like at hotels and rental car agencies whenever there is a problem, people who bought their air travel, hotel res, or car res, are put at the back of the line until "their" customers needs are met. Then other peoples customers.

Having said that, substantial savings can be met by using a consolidator and 99% of the time, no one will know. However, when operations go TU, you find out how much you really saved

Note  that I said  "What Air2Sea can also do is TRY to get you on another airlines flight".  I'm well aware what Air2Sea is and, yes, it's possible for them to put you on another Carrier's flight.....not guaranteed, but possible. I know from personal experience.

18 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

It looks like this summer is a bad time to have complications like special pre-negotiated fares, blocks of seats, etc  😞

We've never used cruiseline air, always do our own air arrangements.  That said, we now arrive two nights ahead of embarkation.

• Thanks 1

For those who are reading this thread and are interested in learning more about air travel and the cruise line programs, I'm going to share a link here in CruiseCritic that speaks to these programs. It was started by someone who is no longer with us but was very knowledgeable about this subject. The thread is old but is still relevant today.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Great news!  They are issuing FCC.  Whew!!!!

How much did your cruise cost? Just wondered why the balked in the beginning? Must have been over 3 or 4 grand I would guess as to why they went to higher ups to get the okay.

Guess this shows others Air2Sea is all that as far as getting you to your ship.

Edited by Jimbo

52 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Great news!  They are issuing FCC.  Whew!!!!

One of these situations that doesn't come up often and some low level managers not sure how to deal with it.  Nice to see that it worked out. (other than not being able to cruise)