are masks still required on Royal one way Alaska cruises?

sunsetme

"Please note that in an abundance of caution masks are required at all indoor locations on northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver until further notice. Masks will be provided to guests if needed."

The above is on the Princess website. Not the Royal but it was definitely not being enforced on the Majestic last week. Captain Tuvo basically shrugged it off when a fellow passenger spoke with him regarding their concern about the lack of enforcement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WAussieSFO said:

"Please note that in an abundance of caution masks are required at all indoor locations on northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver until further notice. Masks will be provided to guests if needed."

The above is on the Princess website. Not the Royal but it was definitely not being enforced on the Majestic last week. Captain Tuvo basically shrugged it off when a fellow passenger spoke with him regarding their concern about the lack of enforcement.

Bye-Bye ... 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, WAussieSFO said:

Thankfully it's only on Alaskan cruises and not any of mine.

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

Captain Tuvo basically shrugged it off when a fellow passenger spoke with him regarding their concern about the lack of enforcement.

2 minutes ago, Sunwanabe said:

I guess the Captain has the final word.

yep, Bye Bye don't bother me ...

I just got off the Royal and definitely not enforced. Saw 1 elevator empty out with 12 people and 6 were not wearing masks. There are signs in the elevator that say limit 6 and masks required. I actually asked a few people at different times that were getting in to please put on their masks and they did. I was sitting at a bar and a server asked a couple to put theirs on as they walked by and the response was I have a drink in my hand. I am happy to say as of today I do not have Covid which is a good thing as we started this vacation from the east coast on June 8th and returned on Sunday the 26th so feel very fortunate. Had a terrific time.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, partybarbie said:

I’m currently on the Royal. Masks are required indoors, unless you are eating or drinking. 

I will be making sure I am eating or drinking all the time when I in indoors

I'm confused... are there certain ships or locations that require and others don't?  I was on Ruby the past 11 days, and as far as I knew, masks were not required indoors.  Both the 6 people/1 party limit and masks were "suggested" or "recommended."  Our party did wear masks all the time except eating/drinking.  

Our party of 6 did run into a rowdy group of unmasked women who held their hand to their mouths when they saw us coming into their elevator (this was during a very busy time when groups were coming back from port so all elevators were packed) and said it was too many people (hmm ironic), so we exited and offered our spots to 2 other people in the lobby, and one of the ladies in the elevator said, "yes, we'll take the unmasked people."  Yes, rude.  

The captain on the emerald also didn't seem to care about masks..maybe that is why they hauled 5 bus loads of covid quarantine guests off in southampton.....nobody likes masks but it is a heck of a lot better than spending your cruise in quarantine and missing all the ports.  You never think YOU will get covid and then you do.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, partybarbie said:

I’m currently on the Royal. Masks are required indoors, unless you are eating or drinking. 

My wife and I wore our masks and still do. My wife tested positive as soon as we got home. No shows for us and only about half the nights we ate in a specialty or main dining room.  People were very courteous and would either skip elevator or mask up. As they say YMMV.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:30 PM, MissP22 said:

Thankfully it's only on Alaskan cruises and not any of mine.

So what makes an Alaska cruise any different than another cruise.  People are eating and drinking indoors.

36 minutes ago, gerig said:

So what makes an Alaska cruise any different than another cruise.  People are eating and drinking indoors.

Since it's only northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver, and not other Alaska cruises, my guess is it's at the request of local authorities in one of those places.

Either that, or they are having more covid cases on northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver than other Alaska cruises, or for that matter all other cruises. But I don't know why that would be.

24 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Since it's only northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver, and not other Alaska cruises, my guess is it's at the request of local authorities in one of those places.

Either that, or they are having more covid cases on northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver than other Alaska cruises, or for that matter all other cruises. But I don't know why that would be.

Also the south bound itinerary usually as a bunch embarking who have been on land trips prior and have been in crowded environments 

2 hours ago, gerig said:

My guess is that they are trying to minimize the spread of Covid due to quarantine Hotels available in these two cities.  Whittier doesn't have a hotel, and Anchorage hotels are limited in supply  and very expensive.  Earlier in the season, Princess was bussing people down from Vancouver to Seattle for their quarantine.  Shortly after this started  happening, they updated the website stating that masks are required on these two routes.

Edited by dweeb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gerig said:

As Earthworm Jim pointed out, it's probably because local authorities insisted on it & forced Princess to agree or not dock at their ports.

The same thing could happen in the Caribbean I suppose.