2 cabins, 2 couples, 1 no show in each cabin

Angua

Hi!

We booked a couple of cabins on an upcoming cruise with my inlaws, putting and my MIL in one cabin and my husband and his father in the other, using our special offers to get the best price for both couples.  The plan was to do the room switcheroo once we got on board, but now it looks like my inlaws will not be coming for complicated reasons.

I know about letting it ride and have them be no shows to get the port fees/taxes back, but do you think they will still allow me to get a key to my husband's cabin ( the one we wanted to have?).  Ideally we would like to keep the cabin credit we have for both cabins, so I am not sure what the best option is at that point.

Open to any suggestions, or am I just overthinking this?  😉

16 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

seems like a waste of a perfectly good cabin...

Have you got other friends or family that might go with you and pay you the great rate you received? 

I completely agree with you, but as the cruise leaves next week, it's unlikely that anyone would be able to come on such short notice. especially since it is a holiday week and most people who have time off already have other plans.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You can ask for a key only card. Have your husband go with you. Dont switch cabins onboard, just carry the extra key and it wouldnt affect obc. 2 bathrooms might even be nice.

I was hoping that could be an option so we can do that once we get on board.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, Angua said:

I completely agree with you, but as the cruise leaves next week, it's unlikely that anyone would be able to come on such short notice. especially since it is a holiday week and most people who have time off already have other plans.  

ah, I see... well have fun and make the most of it... 

might as well keep the double OBC, if you have to lose the $$ paid for the extra cabin any way 👍

3 hours ago, Angua said:

Hi!

We booked a couple of cabins on an upcoming cruise with my inlaws, putting and my MIL in one cabin and my husband and his father in the other, using our special offers to get the best price for both couples.  The plan was to do the room switcheroo once we got on board, but now it looks like my inlaws will not be coming for complicated reasons.

I know about letting it ride and have them be no shows to get the port fees/taxes back, but do you think they will still allow me to get a key to my husband's cabin ( the one we wanted to have?).  Ideally we would like to keep the cabin credit we have for both cabins, so I am not sure what the best option is at that point.

Open to any suggestions, or am I just overthinking this?  😉

If you don't have a room card to your husband's room, how is he going to find stuff?  

If you aren't going to use one stateroom at all, I would either go in and mess it up a bit to show you are still on board or mention something to the steward.  You might cause a panic if the steward sees a room is untouched for 24 hours.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If you don't have a room card to your husband's room, how is he going to find stuff?  

If you aren't going to use one stateroom at all, I would either go in and mess it up a bit to show you are still on board or mention something to the steward.  You might cause a panic if the steward sees a room is untouched for 24 hours.  

Ok you made laugh out loud with this.

I was trying to decide what to do about the cabin steward.  At the very least I could let them know that it didn't need regular service, I would just occasionally stop in to make sure i got any specific documentation that would arrive for me, since the one i booked would likely be the empty one.

Athough if my husband stars snoring loudly i may scurry to the other room to get a restful night's sleep!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We did this last fall.  Had two rooms to get the OBC, drinks, etc.  We just told steward right away and never used 2nd room.  Gave him a small break for the week.  It was during reduced capacity so didn’t take room away from anyone - booked two days out. 

Wife and I have different last names.  I wanted to tell steward we met in line while waiting to board and wouldn’t be needing second room.  Wife didn’t like that story. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

13 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

We did this last fall.  Had two rooms to get the OBC, drinks, etc.  We just told steward right away and never used 2nd room.  Gave him a small break for the week.  It was during reduced capacity so didn’t take room away from anyone - booked two days out. 

Wife and I have different last names.  I wanted to tell steward we met in line while waiting to board and wouldn’t be needing second room.  Wife didn’t like that story. 

The steward has probably heard that story for real a number of times...🤣

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

So you just got a spare key for the occupied room ,and didn't 'officially' swap to the cabin you ended up using?  

It's still undecided if the inlaws are coming or not, we should know by today.  The cruise boards on tuesday.  I am happy to give the steward a small break in room cleaning!

1 hour ago, Angua said:

So you just got a spare key for the occupied room ,and didn't 'officially' swap to the cabin you ended up using?  

It's still undecided if the inlaws are coming or not, we should know by today.  The cruise boards on tuesday.  I am happy to give the steward a small break in room cleaning!

Maybe consider giving a small tip as well to offset his loss of income.

2 hours ago, FireEater said:

After you get back, I would like to hear the results..:)

Me as well!  I may poke you for some questions too, if they end up no showing.  Wondering how much of a wrench it throws in to check-in and boarding, and things like that.  I may end up in the exact situation on a cruise in February, where my partner and I each have a room booked in our name, and were going to bring a couple who now appears they "can't make it."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FireEater said:

After you get back, I would like to hear the results..:)

As of yesterday, the inlaws say they are going to come with us, but it's a long 3 days between now and Monday when we are supposed to fly to Seattle.  I will report back on Monday on whether we are travelling full occupancy or not.  😉

• Like 4

On 7/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, Angua said:

As of yesterday, the inlaws say they are going to come with us, but it's a long 3 days between now and Monday when we are supposed to fly to Seattle.  I will report back on Monday on whether we are travelling full occupancy or not.  😉

oh boy! I hope all worked out and you are getting ready to sail and will have soooo much fun!!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 1:07 PM, Jeni99 said:

oh boy! I hope all worked out and you are getting ready to sail and will have soooo much fun!!! 

It ended up that my inlaws did come with us on the cruise, so I can't offer any comment on the no show with 2 cabin discussion.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful discussions, though!

s

• Like 2

Sooner or later the cruiselines will wise up to this and will not allow passengers to check in unless ALL the passengers in the cabin/booking are present. If one arrives early and the other is arriving "late" they will tell you, "Sorry, can't check in unless your entire party is here".

Just saying.

4 minutes ago, 1912 said:

Sooner or later the cruiselines will wise up to this and will not allow passengers to check in unless ALL the passengers in the cabin/booking are present. If one arrives early and the other is arriving "late" they will tell you, "Sorry, can't check in unless your entire party is here".

Just saying.

There are occasions when someone misses a flight or can't make it or something, should the whole party not be allowed to sail?  

25 minutes ago, 1912 said:

Just saying.

What's the problem? If anything, it's better for the cruise line with no shows. One less body eating the food and taking up a chair in the comedy club but the cruise line still collects the fare.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1912 said:

Just saying.

Yeah, like others, I don't understand the reasoning - the cruise line gets to keep the full cruise fare, refunds the port fees (which nominally go to the ports), and the line saves on the expenses of care and feeding for a pax.