Baby Monitors - wireless

Hello everyone. Does anyone know FOR SURE of RC allows wireless baby monitors on board. My daughter plans to bring one and one board she read suggested it would get confiscated. Searches on this board didn't come up with an answer. Anyone with experience? Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Hello everyone. Does anyone know FOR SURE of RC allows wireless baby monitors on board. My daughter plans to bring one and one board she read suggested it would get confiscated. Searches on this board didn't come up with an answer. Anyone with experience? Thanks!!!

We've used these several time when our grandchildren were with us. Never had any problems bringing baby monitors on board.

8 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Baby monitors are listed as not allowed on the cruise line's website.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

No, will not get confiscated.  

Edit - apparently they can based off the replies - we have brought them on 3x and never had them taken!  

Note - they don't work very well on board.  We brought two different models and both only worked INSIDE the cabin or very close by.   We planned on putting our infant twins to sleep in the loft suite, then eating dinner a short distance away at coastal kitchen.  But, monitor did not reach so we just had to hire the baby sitters on board.  

Also, WIFI monitors WILL NOT work on the ships network.  

Edited by TheMastodon

2 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

No, will not get confiscated.  

Edit - apparently they can based off the replies - we have brought them on 3x and never had them taken!  

Note - they don't work very well on board.  We brought two different models and both only worked INSIDE the cabin or very close by.   We planned on putting our infant twins to sleep in the loft suite, then eating dinner a short distance away at coastal kitchen.  But, monitor did not reach so we just had to hire the baby sitters on board.  

Also, WIFI monitors WILL NOT work on the ships network.  

Thanks. We have connecting cabins and would use it only in the other cabin when the kid was napping.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

Thanks. We have connecting cabins and would use it only in the other cabin when the kid was napping.

I think all baby monitors are wireless so perhaps you mean wifi?   Never tried them, but I would never trust those on a ship.  Wifi could freeze and you may not even know it.  

As for the regular monitors, we have Motorola and they are the good one's even for that brand so they work really well (I think many types don’t work near as well so take that into account).  They worked plenty well enough to use from the cabin directly next door.  We too can connecting cabin and had the baby sleeping next door.  Worked perfect every time. If there is any issue, put the camera near the balcony door and the monitor by the other balcony door.  If you do that the range will likely be much longer.  

We bring them every time.  Never an issue.  

I’m sure the issue is they don’t want parents leaving kids behind and watching them remotely from around the ship.  That is obviously different than being in the room next door while they nap or whatever.  

Edited by topnole
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

I think all baby monitors are wireless so perhaps you mean wifi?   Never tried them, but I would never trust those on a ship.  Wifi could freeze and you may not even know it.  

As for the regular monitors, we have Motorola and they are the good one's even for that brand so they work really well (I think many types don’t work near as well so take that into account).  They worked plenty well enough to use from the cabin directly next door.  We too can connecting cabin and had the baby sleeping next door.  Worked perfect every time. If there is any issue, put the camera near the balcony door and the monitor by the other balcony door.  If you do that the range will likely be much longer.  

We bring them every time.  Never an issue.  

I’m sure the issue is they don’t want parents leaving kids behind and watching them remotely from around the ship.  That is obviously different than being in the room next door while they nap or whatever.  

Ive tried the wifi monitors on board - the network blocks them.

The Infant Optics DXR-8 performed best for us on board.   It uses a different frequency than other monitors and seems to perform much better.   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

The main reason it would not be allowed, is they would wonder why you need a baby monitor?  The fear is that you plan on leaving a kid alone, when they should not be alone.   

6 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

We planned on putting our infant twins to sleep in the loft suite, then eating dinner a short distance away at coastal kitchen. 

2 hours ago, topnole said:

I’m sure the issue is they don’t want parents leaving kids behind and watching them remotely from around the ship.

I see the problem.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

I see the problem.

They are are not a problem when used appropriately (as in not being used to abandon a baby in the room alone when you are not in a nearby cabin).  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, topnole said:

They are are not a problem when used appropriately (as in not being used to abandon a baby in the room alone when you are not in a nearby cabin).  

Like this:  

We planned on putting our infant twins to sleep in the loft suite, then eating dinner a short distance away at coastal kitchen. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, topnole said:

How exactly do you use something appropriately if it is on the prohibited list?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

I see the problem.

It worked great.  Trust me, there are bigger issues to judge others about.  

You can turn an old iphone into a monitor using an app called Presence.  We used it the second and third cruises with little ones.  They slept peacefully while we had dinner at CC.   

Edited by TheMastodon

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

Like this:  

I wouldn’t call that appropriate.  Totally different than when people have connected cabins or a cabin across the hall.  

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

It worked great.  Trust me, there are bigger issues to judge others about.  

You can turn an old iphone into a monitor using an app called Presence.  We used it the second and third cruises with little ones.  They slept peacefully while we had dinner at CC.   

I probably wouldn’t admit that.   

10 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Baby monitors are listed as not allowed on the cruise line's website.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Weird.  So the answer is just to bring a non baby monitor?   Very odd language to use for such a list.   Phones, tablets, and laptops can replicate exactly what they do. So these can all easily serve as baby monitors too.  

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

How exactly do you use something appropriately if it is on the prohibited list?

What if it is just a monitor and camera?   These aren’t on the banned list.  No where on mine does it say baby monitor.  So I think that answers the question.