Post Viking Promos

Clay Clayton

12 hours ago, bigcritic said:

I got this one too! I was excited when I saw the new itineraries, but I'm too used to free international airfare now.

We might have to get used to paying more for air. I checked a few Viking Ocean Europe itineraries and noticed that air was increased this month. Med Odyssey and British Isles went from $1,299 to $1,499; Iceland’s Natural Beauty increased from $999 to $1,299; and there are probably more.

• Thanks 1

SUM23 drops the price of my PV2 on November Hawaii sailing by $3kpp.  Shouldn't be surprised as my TA's website currently shows at least 75 available cabins.  Will have my TA call and request price adjustment or cancel/rebook (we're outside 120 days so penalty is only $100pp).  Anyone have experience with how VO handles these situations?  We had applied $400 voucher which might be at risk on cancellation but double past guest credit is a +.  Will also lose SS bev pkg but $6k buys a lot of drinks.  Assume Tripmate carries over.

35 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

SUM23 drops the price of my PV2 on November Hawaii sailing by $3kpp.  Shouldn't be surprised as my TA's website currently shows at least 75 available cabins.  Will have my TA call and request price adjustment or cancel/rebook (we're outside 120 days so penalty is only $100pp).  Anyone have experience with how VO handles these situations?  We had applied $400 voucher which might be at risk on cancellation but double past guest credit is a +.  Will also lose SS bev pkg but $6k buys a lot of drinks.  Assume Tripmate carries over.

Are you on the Hawaii and Polynesian cruise?  I don’t see a cruise just to Hawaii in November?  And in either case, SUM23 didn’t show a reduction in Price on the longer cruise and didn’t apply on the one just to Hawaii in December. 🤔

19 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Are you on the Hawaii and Polynesian cruise?  I don’t see a cruise just to Hawaii in November?  And in either case, SUM23 didn’t show a reduction in Price on the longer cruise and didn’t apply on the one just to Hawaii in December. 🤔

Just tried code for November 2023, 33 day Hawaii Polynesia, and it worked.  Free Air, double past pax discount, reduced fare s, v2 gty 6999.  Nice price.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

30 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Just tried code for November 2023, 33 day Hawaii Polynesia, and it worked.  Free Air, double past pax discount, reduced fare s, v2 gty 6999.  Nice price.

Isn’t that the price it’s been all along? Or is that reduced? 

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Clay,

Yes Hawaii and Polynesia.  We're in a PV2 that was $17,299 earlier this year.  Memorial Day sale dropped the price to $14,299 which is where we booked.  Under the new promo it's now $11,299.  

Tom T

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Clay,

Yes Hawaii and Polynesia.  We're in a PV2 that was $17,299 earlier this year.  Memorial Day sale dropped the price to $14,299 which is where we booked.  Under the new promo it's now $11,299.  

Tom T

The fare may be discounted due to the time of year. November is the start of the wet season in French Polynesia. And it can get very wet. We know — we were there in November 1987.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Clay,

Tom T

In this case, does Viking adjust the price you paid?

53 minutes ago, zelker said:

In this case, does Viking adjust the price you paid?

No.  Just like Airlines don't adjust when prices go down.

Viking also does not adjust your fare upwards when/if the prices go up, so it goes both ways.

There are ways to get around it.  If you have a good cabin you want it might not be worth it, but you can if greater than 120 days (and in USA) away, you can cancel, pay the $100 penalty, and rebook (unless you did TripMate which we never do).  You can also transfer the booking to a dummy cruise far in the future and then book fresh at the new price.  But likely won't get same cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

No.  Just like Airlines don't adjust when prices go down.

Viking also does not adjust your fare upwards when/if the prices go up, so it goes both ways.

There are ways to get around it.  If you have a good cabin you want it might not be worth it, but you can if greater than 120 days (and in USA) away, you can cancel, pay the $100 penalty, and rebook (unless you did TripMate which we never do).  You can also transfer the booking to a dummy cruise far in the future and then book fresh at the new price.  But likely won't get same cabin.

Please explain your point on TripMate.  Viking did allow us a 25% rate reduction from a new promo last year on Grand European Tour three months before sailing.  Even threw in beverage package.  Others in our roll call obtained reductions as well.   If this was only a couple of hundred $ I wouldn't ask, but the difference is substantial.  Have no problem canceling, paying the $100 and re-booking.  Lots of cabins available.  Emailed TA.  She's not in until Thursday so will let you know how we make out. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Please explain your point on TripMate.  Viking did allow us a 25% rate reduction from a new promo last year on Grand European Tour three months before sailing.  Even threw in beverage package.  Others in our roll call obtained reductions as well.   If this was only a couple of hundred $ I wouldn't ask, but the difference is substantial.  Have no problem canceling, paying the $100 and re-booking.  Lots of cabins available.  Emailed TA.  She's not in until Thursday so will let you know how we make out. 

I had heard from friends who cancelled and rebooked or transferred, that they didn't get back the Tripmate insurance and/or couldn't move it to a new cruise.  Viking might have changed that now.

We always use 3rd party insurance (via TheTrip Insurance Store) and can move the insurance around to rebooked or transferred cruises.  Have done it quite often actually.

We have been able to change cruises since 2019  and we never lost the cost of  the Trip mate insurance.  It followed to the new cruise.  But we never did this after final payment;  maybe that is the difference. 

• Like 1

Spent the afternoon back and forth on the phone with my TA.  We ended up doing cancel / rebook and paying the $200 cancellation fee.  Had to immediately pay in full so now VO has my money twice pending refund.  TA tried to get TripMate policy rolled over to new sailing but Viking wouldn't budge.  I emailed TripMate directly to see if they can help (they only accept modification requests via email).  Did not purchase Tripmate today.  If they don't roll over original policy I'll purchase new one at Insuremytrip.  In the end I saved $6k ($4k if I have to buy new insurance).   

• Like 5

Just got this:

INDEPENDENCE DAY SALE

FREE Airfare* & Reduced Fares on 2023 Voyages

Ask for offer J4S • Expires July 11, 2023

http://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/vrc/contentlibrary/2023_campaigns/july_2023/230701_allproduct_j4s/hero.png

FEATURED VOYAGES

http://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/vrc/contentlibrary/2023_campaigns/july_2023/230701_allproduct_j4s/itin_01.jpg
Classic Panama Canal Passage

Panama City to Ft. Lauderdale

ASK FOR OFFER: J4S

DAYS

TOURS

COUNTRIES

LEARN MORE

http://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/vrc/contentlibrary/2023_campaigns/july_2023/230701_allproduct_j4s/itin_03.jpg
Grand European Tour

Amsterdam to Budapest

DAYS

TOURS

COUNTRIES

LEARN MORE
http://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/vrc/contentlibrary/2023_campaigns/july_2023/230701_allproduct_j4s/itin_04.png
New Orleans & Southern Charms

New Orleans to New Orleans

DAYS

TOURS

COUNTRY

LEARN MORE

• Like 1

Well, I'm interested in the Panama Canal cruise someday and have been tracking prices to see how they run. Interestingly, the Dec 2023 cruises which are part of the J4S deal have the same cabin pricing as they did in June, so the only deal here is the free airfare. We typically book our own, so not a deal for us. I checked the prices with EBD also and they are same as J4S, just that airfare is listed as from $799 for those dates. As always, YMMV, and it might be a good deal for some people, but I saw cabins disappearing as I was checking and many more categories are now sold out than just a month ago. 

3 minutes ago, BluebonnetTexan said:

Well, I'm interested in the Panama Canal cruise someday and have been tracking prices to see how they run. Interestingly, the Dec 2023 cruises which are part of the J4S deal have the same cabin pricing as they did in June, so the only deal here is the free airfare. We typically book our own, so not a deal for us. I checked the prices with EBD also and they are same as J4S, just that airfare is listed as from $799 for those dates. As always, YMMV, and it might be a good deal for some people, but I saw cabins disappearing as I was checking and many more categories are now sold out than just a month ago. 

Promo SUM23 has been extended and it gives a double past guest discount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2023 at 1:32 PM, HUNKY said:

OneSixtyToOne - Was there a promo code for the Egypt 2025 river cruise?

I'm tracking this cruise, but the fares have not changed.

Received mailing for 2024 & 2025 VRC.

Pharaohs & Pyramids (12 days)

Standard $6,499

Veranda $8,499 -> $7,999

Veranda Suite $10,999 -> $9,999

Explorer Suite $13,999 -> $12,999

Based on select Aug 2025 depatures

Air Fare $1,899 -> $1,299 pp (for Aug Sep 2025 departures)

Ask for EBD (expires 7/31/2023)