Post Viking Promos

Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

In my experience, when getting info for a specific cruise --  from a V agent -- one must give promo code to agent.  They will not tell you if a promo exists on that cruise.

Additionally, V will not combine promos, as @Squawkman has stated above.

You are absolutely correct. I’ve been using the same Viking agent for several years and not only won’t they tell you the code - they often don’t know they exist until a customer tells them.

2 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

I have sailed Viking Ocean using two promos in the past.  Just read the small print to find out if it's eligible.   The second promo was $500 OBC called WOV (world of viking).

My second time writing this.

I guess OBC is a different animal as I have also combined OBC offers with promo codes. I didn’t realize they used designated promo codes. If you book on board or within 2 weeks of disembarkation you’ll get OBC on top of promo code perks.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:44 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

This message appeared in MVJ today. First time I ever saw this.

Promo FV424, usable on website if you already have a booking.

IMG_6341.thumb.jpeg.5038ad71069184dd1f398152c953ecdd.jpeg

FYI, this FV424 promo code did NOT work for me online, even though I was eligible (had an existing booking). I had to call a Viking agent to book it, and it worked first time. Others might have the same experience.

22 minutes ago, Valdinger said:

FYI, this FV424 promo code did NOT work for me online, even though I was eligible (had an existing booking). I had to call a Viking agent to book it, and it worked first time. Others might have the same experience.

I clicked on the link in MVJ and it populated the promo code in the booking screen. Maybe the link is required.

12 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I clicked on the link in MVJ and it populated the promo code in the booking screen. Maybe the link is required.

Yes, that could be it — I didn’t do that, and wish I had known. I received a letter in the U.S. Mail, and tried to use the code in Price & Build on the Viking Ocean website (that didn’t work). If I had been able to book it myself, I wouldn’t have been talked into adding the travel insurance for a cruise that isn’t until 2026. I don’t have any pre-existing conditions, so I could have waited, and had the option to cancel the cruise, if necessary.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Valdinger said:

Yes, that could be it — I didn’t do that, and wish I had known. I received a letter in the U.S. Mail, and tried to use the code in Price & Build on the Viking Ocean website (that didn’t work). If I had been able to book it myself, I wouldn’t have been talked into adding the travel insurance for a cruise that isn’t until 2026. I don’t have any pre-existing conditions, so I could have waited, and had the option to cancel the cruise, if necessary.

Even with preexisting conditions you can find plans to insure you for that if you just buy a minimum amount to cover the deposit and then increase coverage once you pay the balance. We did this for our Japan trip next year. All you need to do is take out coverage within X days of your initial payment and you are covered. The minimum coverage cost us about $100 so if we need to cancel, we only lose that. Check out the explainer at TheTripInsuranceStore

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Even with preexisting conditions you can find plans to insure you for that if you just buy a minimum amount to cover the deposit and then increase coverage once you pay the balance. We did this for our Japan trip next year. All you need to do is take out coverage within X days of your initial payment and you are covered. The minimum coverage cost us about $100 so if we need to cancel, we only lose that. Check out the explainer at TheTripInsuranceStore

I was just thinking about how to do that.  So if our deposit is only 10%, and we have 180+ days to cancel (which is close to when balance is due), and only stand to lose $1k each if we cancel prior to 180 days, do we only need to insure $2k for now and then of course increase the coverage when we pay the balance?  BTW, no preexisting and not looking at Viking insurance.

2 hours ago, Valdinger said:

When we used that code to book a month ago, the text specifically said you had to call for the offer. I’m not sure what your documentation said in the small print. 

47 minutes ago, zelker said:

I was just thinking about how to do that.  So if our deposit is only 10%, and we have 180+ days to cancel (which is close to when balance is due), and only stand to lose $1k each if we cancel prior to 180 days, do we only need to insure $2k for now and then of course increase the coverage when we pay the balance?  BTW, no preexisting and not looking at Viking insurance.

It’s a complex question above my pay grade. I suggest contacting the folks at the Trip Insurance Store. They can answer your question as they did mine.

I believe the minimum coverage is for $1000 and is sold in $1000 increments. You need to insure whatever your initial out of pocket cost was. Ours was only $50 but I had to buy the minimum (1K of coverage) to ensure pre-existing coverage.

You can also purchase optional CFAR  (Cancel for any reason) that will cover any out of pocket loss. It tends to be expensive (30% of the trip?) and the standard coverage cancellation reasons are fine for us. There are also other optional coverage items like increased baggage coverage, increased medical, rental car, etc.

48 minutes ago, formernuke said:

When we used that code to book a month ago, the text specifically said you had to call for the offer. I’m not sure what your documentation said in the small print. 

We also received an email and letter about the deal that contained that language but this promo was in a message in MVJ that I never saw before. It explicitly states you can book from the website and it has a link. I tried the link and it indeed had the code pre populated on the booking page.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Thanks very much — good to know for future cruises.

21 hours ago, Squawkman said:

It’s my understanding that you can use only one promo code per booking. So - if the cruise you’re looking at has its own promo code, price both out.

The promo code you gave me for Hawaii was better than the FV424 I had received in the mail.  TY

Just saying thanks for this thread and the contributors. We have never cruised Viking and recently started getting snail mail flyers but usually end up throwing them away... only to find (ha ha) a few days later we want to price something out and don't remember the code. This thread is very helpful for that - cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pghflyer said:

Just saying thanks for this thread and the contributors. We have never cruised Viking and recently started getting snail mail flyers but usually end up throwing them away... only to find (ha ha) a few days later we want to price something out and don't remember the code. This thread is very helpful for that - cheers!

Of you're starting to get Viking mail, you'll be sure to get more.

And more.

And more.

• Haha 3

Just got offer FC524 in the mail.

$1000 off per couple for itineraries of 15 days or more, $500 for shorter

Past guest discount of $400 per couple.

The language is confusing - “If you secured a booking with us before 5/1/24”.

That MAY mean you have to have a current reservation on the books for a future cruise. It also could mean “If you’ve cruised with us in the past.”

Any insight would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

That MAY mean you have to have a current reservation on the books for a future cruise. It also could mean “If you’ve cruised with us in the past.”

This promo is for those with a current booking.

15 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

9 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

Thanks for sharing! Just the fact their preferred redemption technology is TELEPHONE, kind of tells me a lot about this company.

Telephone is only for this promo because you have to have an existing booking to use it. All other promo codes are supported on the website. If you have a current booking, there is a link in MVJ that can be used to get the same deal without using a telephone. They don’t want randos trying to use the code.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

Thanks for sharing! Just the fact their preferred redemption technology is TELEPHONE, kind of tells me a lot about this company.

What do you mean by this?

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 4:45 PM, zelker said:

No preexisting NOW. 

And remember the trip insurance companies include a change in your meds as a potential preexisting, even LOWERING your blood pressure meds! Or so I’ve read.

• Like 2