Airport transfers from Trieste to Venice

Medeba

We are on a Vista cruise next May and, after we booked, the disembarkation port was changed from Venice to Trieste.  Can anyone tell me if Oceania is offering airport transfers from Trieste to Venice? I'm not expecting a complimentary transfer but was wondering if a transfer is offered and how much it would be.  We are trying to decide whether to go to Ljubljana, Slovenia for a couple of days after the cruise and fly home from there.

We ended up in Trieste twice on Oceania cruises that were originally going to Venice in the last year. In both cases there were free transfers offered by Oceania to the Venice airport. Please note, however, there were not free transfers into Venice proper. If you end up in Trieste and are planing to fly out that morning you want to schedule a flight out of Venice and it is a better idea to schedule a late morning or early afternoon flight out of Venice because the transfer time to Venice to be safe in catching you flight is about an hour of driving and  leaving yourself two hours at the Venice airport before tour flight, you can fly out of Trieste but the airport is smaller and this likely will force you to fly to another European city to catch a trans Atlantic flight back to the US.

if you are not flying out that day but are planning to visit Venice for a few days after the flight I saw people taking the airport transfer and then because their bags transferred with them just taking a fairly easy transfer from the airport into Venice. Not sure if they did this legitimately or just gave a fake flight number and time to Oceania to get the free transfer. Oceania did not offer free transfers into Venice only to the airport. If we ported into Trieste and had a day on ship Before we disembarked Oceania did offer ship  tours that day to Venice. I will tell you if you’ve been to Venice previously and don’t buy the Oceania tour to Venice Trieste is, absolutely, worth a visit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HiFi43 said:

Medea, I should have added since you are in the UK their are flights to the UK from Trieste airport if you don’t want to fly from Venice.

Thank you for your replies.  Flights to the UK from Trieste don't go to London Gatwick which is close to us.  The alternatives involve long taxi rides or many public transport changes which we don't fancy with our luggage.

We are departing on the cruise from Lisbon and plan to stay a few days there pre cruise.  Flight to Lisbon already booked.  So, if we go home from Trieste (having been to Venice a number of times) we are just interested in the airport transfer.

On Riviera now, with cruise ending in Trieste (changed from Venice like yours).

Disembarkation questionnaire offers a complimentary coach transfer to either Venice or Trieste airport.

See option 3:

3 hours ago, Medeba said:

Can anyone tell me if Oceania is offering airport transfers from Trieste to Venice

1DD33042-454C-40BC-BE58-35BA5E80DD45.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beagle5 said:

On Riviera now, with cruise ending in Trieste (changed from Venice like yours).

Disembarkation questionnaire offers a complimentary coach transfer to either Venice or Trieste airport.

Thank you for this.  Oceania gave us almost a year of notification about the change to Trieste.  They gave us $250 OBC to compensate for this.  So, if they do charge for the coach transfer next year we'll use the OBC.  You never know, it might be a complimentary transfer!

Medeba - we are on a cruise next year from Venice/now Trieste.  The Venice option looked a little difficult so we are flying directly into Ljubiano (from Australia via Helsinki).   LJU has a lot of direct international flight options.

It looks a lovely city to have few relaxing days after a long flight before the cruise - and takes any stress out the transfers.  

Hilary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We board the Vista in Trieste next May 20th. We arrive in Venice on the 17th and need to get to Trieste by noon on the 20th. Because we (always) have too many luggages we need a nonscheduled transfer. The train is definitely out for us. I have arranged a transfer leaving Venice by 9am with water transport to the minibus that will drive us to Trieste. It's expensive (@ $500USD). I know Oceania will give us a $250 OBC but am hoping that someone who will also be staying pre-cruise in Venice will want to share. 

Please let us know.

4 minutes ago, ChadnKate said:

We board the Vista in Trieste next May 20th. We arrive in Venice on the 17th and need to get to Trieste by noon on the 20th. Because we (always) have too many luggages we need a nonscheduled transfer. The train is definitely out for us. I have arranged a transfer leaving Venice by 9am with water transport to the minibus that will drive us to Trieste. It's expensive (@ $500USD). I know Oceania will give us a $250 OBC but am hoping that someone who will also be staying pre-cruise in Venice will want to share. 

Please let us know.

The best place to ask about sharing  is on the ROLL CALL for your cruise

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2534-vista-roll-calls/

Look for the sailing date 

• 6 months later...

Hi.  Our concern is that our Venice flight leaves a little after 8 am.  This is the flight that Oceania is booking as the first leg of our return to the states.  My question would be whether O will ensure that we are able to make that flight.  Any info is appreciated.

You may want to have your TA double check with O.  They may move your flight.

Ljubljana is a really pretty pedestrian only city.  Lake Bled is beautiful and well worth a trip if you spend a few days in Ljubljana.

Last year, a water taxi from Marco Polo to center city Venice was $120 for 2 to 6 people.  I just looked at the taxi website and it is still the same.  O’s $599 for four is a bit out of line.

2 hours ago, ElvisTheCat said:

Hi.  Our concern is that our Venice flight leaves a little after 8 am.  This is the flight that Oceania is booking as the first leg of our return to the states.  My question would be whether O will ensure that we are able to make that flight.  Any info is appreciated.

Does the ship overnight ?

Where?

I would not want a flight that early

To reply, yes the ship overnights in Trieste.  We are thinking if O doesn't provide a transfer for us (not sure about this as of yet) we will go to Venice and spend the night prior to the flight.  Looking at hotels in Venice close to the airport they seem pretty reasonably priced.  

On 2/3/2023 at 1:48 PM, ElvisTheCat said:

To reply, yes the ship overnights in Trieste.  We are thinking if O doesn't provide a transfer for us (not sure about this as of yet) we will go to Venice and spend the night prior to the flight.  Looking at hotels in Venice close to the airport they seem pretty reasonably priced.  

Last year we cruised from Trieste with HAL and took a private transport for our group of 4, it was 433 Euro total and picked us up at the car parking lot in Venice island. It is took us almost 2 hours by transport and trying to make an 8am flight is not going to be possible IMO. coming home we spent the night at the Courtyard by Marriot at the airport and it was reasonably priced with free breakfast. It was an older hotel but very nice and the private onsite restaurant was fantastic, one of the best diners we had in Italy. Our cab driver even recommended the restaurant when he dropped us off at the hotel.  Our ship had docked in the Venice industrial port on the return so we took a cab to the hotel. We had a 9am flight home the next morning and it took almost 2 hours to check in and go through security for our flight. The hotel has a shuttle for 5 Euros to the airport, it takes about 5 minutes.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 3:40 PM, RD64 said:

Unless your ship overnights in Trieste there is no possible way you can make an 8AM flight from Marco Polo.

I agree, you would have to leave the ship by 4:00am to catch that 8am flight. Marco Polo is a small and crowded airport that takes at least 2 hours to check in and go through customs and security.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I agree, you would have to leave the ship by 4:00am to catch that 8am flight. Marco Polo is a small and crowded airport that takes at least 2 hours to check in and go through customs and security.

Sounds like torture!! Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Sounds like torture!! Thanks for the heads up!

Even if the ship docked in Venice, it would be next to impossible to catch a flight before 11:00am. Unfortunately, most direct flights back to the States leave much earlier.

Edited by terrydtx

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Even if the ship docked in Venice, it would be next to impossible to catch a flight before 11:00am. Unfortunately, most direct flights back to the States leave much earlier.

Luckily my flight is 4:30 PM, which I'm thinking will be enough time on debarkation day, but good to know it will take two hours once there to check in and get through security. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Luckily my flight is 4:30 PM, which I'm thinking will be enough time on debarkation day, but good to know it will take two hours once there to check in and get through security. 

That is plenty of time you will be fine. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

We are arriving at Trieste on Vista next May and need to get to Murano.  I would like to get a private Oceania transfer to the Piazzale Roma in Venice but I didn't see anything like that listed on their info sheet posted above...   I know I can take the Alilaguna line from the airport to Murano Museo but would rather have the hotel get us in Venice (so I don't have to deal with the bags!). Has anyone had any experience of an oceania transfer to Venice itself ??

On 7/2/2022 at 4:15 AM, Medeba said:

We are on a Vista cruise next May and, after we booked, the disembarkation port was changed from Venice to Trieste.  Can anyone tell me if Oceania is offering airport transfers from Trieste to Venice? I'm not expecting a complimentary transfer but was wondering if a transfer is offered and how much it would be.  We are trying to decide whether to go to Ljubljana, Slovenia for a couple of days after the cruise and fly home from there.

Ljubljana is a must visit, IMO.  A beautiful city, well worth any time there that you can spare. 

When we disembarked in Trieste, we took the Oceania provided transfer to the Venice airport.  Then, a relatively inexpensive bus ticket from the airport to the Main Bus Station in Venice (across the bridge), where it is easy to find a vaporetto to anywhere in the city.

• Thanks 1

We embarked in Trieste in 2021 after staying in Venice. Also an option, an alilaguna, hotel shuttle, or private boat transfer right from the airport. The dock is a few blocks walk (enclosed but not heated iirc) from the terminal, there are moving walkways and luggage carts. 

We disembarked in Trieste from the Riviera in April.  Oceania offered a bus transfer to the Venice airport for $69 per person.  I looked at private transfer and the prices were about £340.  I took the bus which is first for me.  Part of my reasoning was that I was also staying in Murano just around the corner from the museum and the hotel I chose had a shuttle from the airport to the hotel for their guests.  All water transports I looked at had a 1 bag per person limit—even the hotel shuttle.  After a bit of back and forth they did agree to handle all of my luggage—5 checked bags and 2 roller bags.  After the bus ride, while you walk to the terminal (about 5 minutes) the luggage is taken to the front of the terminal for you to pick up. From there there is about a 15 minute walk (with moving sidewalk assistance) on the 2nd level of the terminal to the water taxi docks.  At the end of the walkway you take an elevator down to the ground level and all of the water taxi options are there.  You cannot take the luggage trolleys on the moving sidewalk so if you have to use trolley you have to walk all the way.  It’s covered and smooth surface but slightly “uphill”. 

• Thanks 1