Lunch options (retreat guest) on Beyond

talljules1

Hi all

Now, I think this is probably a minor thing. When we sailed on the Silhouette last year we could have lunch in Luminae or in places like Sushi on 5, The Porch every day - regardless of whether a sea or port day. This was a UK seacation cruise.

This year, during our Norway cruise, this generally wasn't an option which meant that lunch was either in Oceanview (where we just didn't find things we liked), Mast grill or Retreat deck. This was OK, but felt like quite a step down. (I think, perhaps, because it was cold and sometimes rainy).

So, how do things work for lunch at the moment on the Beyond? Is Luminae open for lunch? Are places like Raw on 5 open for lunch?  (I am less concerned re OV/Mast Grill/Retreat deck as in the vids we have seen it looks a lot nicer and of course the weather is going to be a lot better!)

My other question, whilst I am here, is: I know there is priority embarkation for the retreat on embarkation day, and I know there is priority disembarkation for tendering in ports. Is there priority embarkation on port days for retreat guests, and does this depend on whether there is tendering or not?

BW

Jules

p.s. I know some of this might be available on the app, but we found that often the app said things were open for lunch when they were not, when we went to Norway. It became quite frustrating.

p.p.s  I do know how snobbish all this sounds.  What I am trying to do is to make sure we board with the right expectations. (I find that what upsets me most is when expectations are not met, rather than what is actually delivered, and so I am trying to make sure my expectations are reasonable 🙂)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Typically, the MDR, Sushi on 5, and Luminae are only open for lunch on sea days. The fact that they were open on port days during your UK staycation is unusual.

Thanks, Rich! That's good to know. We can happily adjust our expectations accordingly and be content!

1 hour ago, talljules1 said:

Hi all

Now, I think this is probably a minor thing. When we sailed on the Silhouette last year we could have lunch in Luminae or in places like Sushi on 5, The Porch every day - regardless of whether a sea or port day. This was a UK seacation cruise.

This year, during our Norway cruise, this generally wasn't an option which meant that lunch was either in Oceanview (where we just didn't find things we liked), Mast grill or Retreat deck. This was OK, but felt like quite a step down. (I think, perhaps, because it was cold and sometimes rainy).

So, how do things work for lunch at the moment on the Beyond? Is Luminae open for lunch? Are places like Raw on 5 open for lunch?  (I am less concerned re OV/Mast Grill/Retreat deck as in the vids we have seen it looks a lot nicer and of course the weather is going to be a lot better!)

My other question, whilst I am here, is: I know there is priority embarkation for the retreat on embarkation day, and I know there is priority disembarkation for tendering in ports. Is there priority embarkation on port days for retreat guests, and does this depend on whether there is tendering or not?

BW

Jules

Hello again, I am following your posts!

I honestly think you may not know until you board and then even then things may change part way through your cruise. I would think a lot will depend on % occupancy, staff possibly in quarantine…Please note my comments are general, we haven’t traveled on E class yet.

Historically, in our experience, there are few options open on port days in the Med. Quite simply most guests do go on excursions or at least walk around the ports. Sushi on five on a couple our cruises on port days opened at 2pm and was the busiest we ever saw it at about 4/5pm on those days. I guess a lot of people had returned from excursions  tired and hungry and decided on having a late lunch early dinner (Lunner?!?)…A lot to be said for this strategy…head there as you return, enjoy a few nice cold beers as you wait for your meal then later bathe, rest, enjoy a bar and dine late if you want or just grab a late night snack…

On sea days I would expect Luminae and Raw on Five to be open…

One option you have not mentioned for lunchtime is room service…In our experience the standard menu is fine for a lightish lunchtime balcony meal. Mix and match…chicken noodle soup, Caesar Salad, Club Sandwiches…

Whilst you are not fans of the buffet I must confess that once or twice per cruise it is nice to graze….Move from station to station putting bits and pieces together or head for a reliable favourite like the Indian selection…

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

Thanks, Chemmo!

It's odd - I used to love the OVC. I think being in a Royal last year spoiled us too much. On our first cruise this year, the OVC felt like a real step down (and it was crowded). Went round it a few times and didn't see much that was appealing. Lunch in Luminae was super! That being said, the weather makes a difference to alfresco dining, and a hotdog or burger in the cold and damp isn't very appealing. Room service during our last Silly cruise was v v slow.

Maybe as well this time we will be a little more relaxed about COVID.  Still taking and planning to wear FFP2 masks on flights, coaches (inc transfers and excursions) and indoors on Ship (except when eating/drinking or in our own room). We did that last time and were fine. One of those travelling with us last time did not - and guess which one of us got COVID.

For me, at least, this is about expectation management. I get upset if a) things are not as promised/advertised - I don't like being lied to (who does?) and/or b) if things don't meet expectations.  Can't do too much about (a), but (b) is in my control - I want to make sure my expectations are fair and reasonable. That way, I can be nice and chilled about it all.  This time the weather is going to be warm/hot, so outdoor eating is going to be much more appealing 🙂 

In other good news, I have finally found my sunglasses! Yay! I will be easy to spot on board - I will be the one covered up in the shade lathered in SPF50, or lobster-red. Either way, keep me supplied with an alternating ginger ale/long island ice tea and I will be happy.

I'm struggling to get really excited about this cruise at the mo, due to worries re actually getting to the ship - but if we do get there, it will be amazing I am sure. (So sorry for my fretting)

• Like 1

We will be on the Reflection from Rome in a month and in the Retreat. We no longer like eating any meals in the buffets, we do not ever go to a buffet land restaurant. On sea days as other have said Luminae is open for lunch, and we love lunch there. On port days in Europe, we will either book a shore excursion that includes lunch, or we do lunch on our own ashore as we prefer to try local cuisines. 

Last year on the Equinox in the Caribbean we found on a couple of port days, when our shore excursions got canceled and you couldn't get off the ship without one, we stayed onboard for lunch. Luminae was closed on those days, but the Retreat lounge had cold cuts and cheese assortments for guests, it was way too hot to spend any time on the Retreat sun deck. We also just ordered the shrimp cocktail and crab cakes from room service to enjoy from our aft Sky corner suite balcony.

It would be nice if Luminae would be open for port days, at least in some limited capacity for lunch. I understand on the E Class ships the Retreat has a much better lunch option for port days.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We will be on the Reflection from Rome in a month and in the Retreat. We no longer like eating any meals in the buffets, we do not ever go to a buffet land restaurant. On sea days as other have said Luminae is open for lunch, and we love lunch there. On port days in Europe, we will either book a shore excursion that includes lunch, or we do lunch on our own ashore as we prefer to try local cuisines. 

Last year on the Equinox in the Caribbean we found on a couple of port days, when our shore excursions got canceled and you couldn't get off the ship without one, we stayed onboard for lunch. Luminae was closed on those days, but the Retreat lounge had cold cuts and cheese assortments for guests, it was way too hot to spend any time on the Retreat sun deck. We also just ordered the shrimp cocktail and crab cakes from room service to enjoy from our aft Sky corner suite balcony.

It would be nice if Luminae would be open for port days, at least in some limited capacity for lunch. I understand on the E Class ships the Retreat has a much better lunch option for port days.

Thanks Terry - I'm glad to know it is not just me!!

14 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I had no idea the Retreat had this option at lunch time. Have never been there at that time of day…usually it’s a pre dinner visit for us.  Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

On the app for our Edge cruise in September, it shows lunch times for Luminae on all days except day 5.  

You will find the app is not 100% accurate until you board. We are on the Reflection for 10 days next month and the App shows Luminae closed for dinner and breakfast after day 7 and closed for lunch on one of our two sea days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re spending a sea day on the retreat deck on Beyond, where’s the closest place to get lunch to bring back to your seats? Are there servers on the retreat deck offering you a lunch food menu?  Cam I get room service delivery to the retreat deck?

2 hours ago, talljules1 said:

Hi all

BW

Jules

What about Spa Cafe and Eden Cafe for lunch on Beyond?  Anybody know?

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

You will find the app is not 100% accurate until you board. We are on the Reflection for 10 days next month and the App shows Luminae closed for dinner and breakfast after day 7 and closed for lunch on one of our two sea days. 

On our most recent cruise we found the app was not accurate even when on board. Had a day where the app said The Porch was open for lunch so we went and sat there like lemons for a while until we were told it was not actually open after all!  So I don't trust the app, particularly. That was the day we ended up at the Retreat sundeck and were served mostly raw burgers - which was the straw that broke the camel's back.  (We now know we need to specify we want them well done!)

Just now, mfs2k said:

If you’re spending a sea day on the retreat deck on Beyond, where’s the closest place to get lunch to bring back to your seats? Are there servers on the retreat deck offering you a lunch food menu?  Cam I get room service delivery to the retreat deck?

There is food available for lunch on the retreat deck. In Norway this wasn't a particularly appealing option as it was cold. But on the Beyond in Greece I'm betting this will be a much better option, and looking forward to it. I also like Terry's suggestion of getting off and going somewhere local for lunch.

I don't think they deliver room service to the retreat sundeck. 

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

There is a limited lunch menu at the Retreat Sundeck.  I can’t remember all the choices I know there is the burger,  a wrap, a chicken sandwich and I think a salad.

DH isn’t one to hang at the Sundeck but we’re would meet me there for lunch occasionally.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Why are the restaurants open and closed is such odd and inconsistent hours? On our last two Celebrity cruises, the Luminae was open three meals and 7 days per week.

Was that pre Covid?  A lot has changed Post Covid shutdowns.

34 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Why are the restaurants open and closed is such odd and inconsistent hours? On our last two Celebrity cruises, the Luminae was open three meals and 7 days per week.

I'm glad to know it's not just me. I was beginning to think that the regressed false memory therapy was working too well.  We can adapt to whatever the reality is. I just want to have realistic expectations before we board again. (Disappointment tending to stem from when reality does not meet expectations!  We will expect that Luminae etc generally not open for lunch, and then will be pleasantly surprised if they are! Honestly we book and board hoping for a good experience!)

24 minutes ago, talljules1 said:

I'm glad to know it's not just me. I was beginning to think that the regressed false memory therapy was working too well.  We can adapt to whatever the reality is. I just want to have realistic expectations before we board again. (Disappointment tending to stem from when reality does not meet expectations!  We will expect that Luminae etc generally not open for lunch, and then will be pleasantly surprised if they are! Honestly we book and board hoping for a good experience!)

I have never been on a cruise yet when Luminae  has not been open lunchtime on boarding day and on all sea days. I would be very surprised if this was not the case on your cruise. I would also guess the days one or other of the other restaurants are generally open at lunch are sea days too. 

So,  if on port days you don’t fancy the standard on board offerings, just a few alternative ideas…

Go on the roll call for your cruise and see if anyone has any ‘foodie’ ideas for the ports where you are not planning on doing much. Many posters will be seasoned cruisers who can offer advice on anything from a local ice cream shop to a wine tasting and gourmet meal and all in between. They may already have some plans you can join in.

Look at the Celebrity itineraries and see if there is a Chef’s Culinary Tour. Not available always but friends of ours have really enjoyed this. You go to the local market with a chef and then return to the ship and the group enjoy a special meal, usually using some of the ingredients seen.

Go to the port of calls section and look up a variety of bars and restaurants and gather a few ideas…If you look for a variety of venues (bar with a view, snack bar, full meal) then you can simply decide on the day what type of dining you want. Simply walk off the ship and enjoy some local food and ambiance…

We do have limited mobility now and what we can do on a day often depends on how we feel. If you pre plan and then settle for a snack on the Retreat Deck on a port day it is no big deal but if you don’t plan then fancy something and just walk of the ship with no ideas you can often end up missing something special and paying a lot of money for a poor experience.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, talljules1 said:

We have been  in a suite on the Edge 2x, Reflection 2x and Apex once since the restart and Luminae was not open for lunch on port days.   It was open every day for breakfast & dinner.  Suites were fully booked on the Edge & Apex  so Luminae was very busy at breakfast and from 6 - 8:15 each evening.  

• Like 2