Happy Birthday MS Nieuw Amsterdam

1ANGELCAT

23 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Our lovely BHB is turning 12 years old tomorrow. May she  have many more happy sailings.🍾🎉🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

I sailed on her during her Inaugural season and she was then--and remains--an excellent ship.  Captain Edward G. van Zaane was at the helm after several years as Master of our beloved Amsterdam.  His Officers and he helped to get Nieuw Amsterdam sailing on a "true course".  

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 7:00 PM, zounds said:

I give up.  What is BHB ?

Big HAL Boat.
At least that's the first thing that comes to mind every time I see those letters together. Not a very flattering mental image, either. 

• Haha 1

We had a wonderful 9 weeks (three separate boardings/cruises) fall 2021.  Honestly, we've never enjoyed cruising more.  The crew was fantastic, top notch, no problems at all.  Looking forward to boarding a similar ship Eurodam for two weeks in August.

16 hours ago, Crew News said:

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam's (SC-6164) first cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and stocked up on $5 t-shirts from her European ports.

Was that in November of 2010?  I am 99% sure we were also on that cruise. I remember they brought on a different captain. I believe the ship had some balance issues after crossing the Atlantic Ocean causing the aft to suddenly jolt unexpectedly. We remember dishes in the dining room having problems staying on the tables..... 

13 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Was that in November of 2010?  I am 99% sure we were also on that cruise. I remember they brought on a different captain. I believe the ship had some balance issues after crossing the Atlantic Ocean causing the aft to suddenly jolt unexpectedly. We remember dishes in the dining room having problems staying on the tables..... 

That was indeed my cruise.  I ate dinner in the Tamarind and the vibration was so strong that i had to hold onto my dishes to keep them from from going over the edge.  If I remember correctly, that was before they had the placements available.

With only two hands a several dishes, it was quite a challenge.

Edited by Crew News
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

I ate dinner in the Tamarind and the vibration was so strong that i had to hold onto my dishes to keep them from from going over the edge.

I thought that the vibration issue had been solved by the time the Nieuw Amsterdam entered service.  I didn't experience that.

I did experience it on the Zuiderdam when she entered service.  The reports were that in the aft section of the MDR along the windows on the lower deck, the vibration was quite noticeable at times.  My first morning's breakfast, I asked to be seated at one of those tables.  The Assistant Maitre'd discouraged me and wanted to sit me elsewhere.  I insisted.  The vibration was real.  Soon after I was seated, I watched my empty cup and saucer begin its march to the edge of my table.  Surely different, but, I can't say that it was an important negative.  

In my mid-ship Deck 5 veranda stateroom, there was no such vibration.  

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought that the vibration issue had been solved by the time the Nieuw Amsterdam entered service.  I didn't experience that.

I did experience it on the Zuiderdam when she entered service.  The reports were that in the aft section of the MDR along the windows on the lower deck, the vibration was quite noticeable at times.  My first morning's breakfast, I asked to be seated at one of those tables.  The Assistant Maitre'd discouraged me and wanted to sit me elsewhere.  I insisted.  The vibration was real.  Soon after I was seated, I watched my empty cup and saucer begin its march to the edge of my table.  Surely different, but, I can't say that it was an important negative.  

In my mid-ship Deck 5 veranda stateroom, there was no such vibration.  

If I remember correctly, the vibration was corrected by the time that I sailed on the NA in SC6175 in Nov 2012.

FWIW I visited the forward end of the Citizen watch counter in the Nieuw Statendam Shops last November and found a strong vibration coming from the deck, through my feet, and tickling my nose.  The salesperson asked what i thought of the vibration.  We both agreed that the feeling was a bit invigorating and the salesperson admitted that he spent many hours each day standing at that special spot. I visited that spot several more times during the cruise and never purchased a watch.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/4/2022 at 6:00 PM, zounds said:

I give up.  What is BHB ?

Interesting responses.  My wife and I have called each other BHB for quite sometime. During a trip to Australia one place had Baby Honey Bugs on the menu.  Ever since then we have called each other BHB!