Crown Princess - July 2, 2022 - live

ChimneyTenders

So after reading all the posts from the sky is falling people who have post counts in the thousands and all the marine engineers who specialize in naval propulsion, we still decided to go. 

Having a great time. 

No issues with internet, billing, service, rooms, or everything else people complained about while not actually being on the ship. 

Ship is doing 20knots, going to make all the ports. What told they made all the ports last week too. 

Club class is great. Never an issue seating for a feeding. 

Seems like the know it all twitter mentality is alive and well on cruise critic and I’m glad I didn’t listen to anyone here….well…at least the ones that have more than a couple of hundred posts. 

Matt on Dolphin Deck

Edited by ChimneyTenders
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

We were on the June 25ty sailing and had an incredible time! I had been panicking for weeks reading all the horror stories, but everything was wonderful. I hope you have a similar experience!

• Like 6

@ChimneyTenders  Thank you for starting a live on the Crown.  It is refreshing to hear from the new posters.  Don't discount the more seasoned posters.  They are sometimes a wealth of information.

Hope the Crown meets all of your expectations and you have a delightful cruise.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ChimneyTenders said:

Since the obligatory “prove you are on the ship, I don’t believe you” is coming. Here you go. 

C1386748-3B10-4632-A596-56E0EB6B9D06.jpeg

🤣 you can always go Logan Roy on everybody.

• Haha 2

Glad it is going well for you.

We were on the May 28th sailing. After multiple changes in ports and arrival times up to the day we sailed, unfortunately we missed several excursions we were excited about. We feel we went by Alaska not to Alaska.

Fortunately Princess has issued a 50% FCC so maybe we can go back and see what me missed.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this, I am booked in August and I am happy to read someone is enjoying their cruise.  Actually I have 3 cruises booked on the Crown between August and December and am looking forward to all of them.  Personally not worried about missed ports of delays but enjoy reading about the positive experiences people are having.

• Like 2

Chimney Tenders, appreciate your posting, too bad you needed to show proof.  Also on cruise next month and just happy to be going somewhere other than home.  Love Ketchikan, but we never cruise just for the ports.  We are looking forward to still being in the states or close to them, reason for choosing Alaska.  Any ship just like airlines can have issues at any time as well as ports and itinerary.  So happy you decided to go and are enjoying the cruise.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, ChimneyTenders said:

So after reading all the posts from the sky is falling people who have post counts in the thousands and all the marine engineers who specialize in naval propulsion, we still decided to go. 

Having a great time. 

No issues with internet, billing, service, rooms, or everything else people complained about while not actually being on the ship. 

Ship is doing 20knots, going to make all the ports. What told they made all the ports last week too. 

Club class is great. Never an issue seating for a feeding. 

Seems like the know it all twitter mentality is alive and well on cruise critic and I’m glad I didn’t listen to anyone here….well…at least the ones that have more than a couple of hundred posts. 

Matt on Dolphin Deck

Matt, could you please explain how the Arrivecan app worked? 

14 hours ago, ChimneyTenders said:

3:30 local time. Pulling in now

Hope you enjoy Juneau.  Was this your original arrival time at booking?  We are sailing next month and it still shows 12:30 arrival time.  If it is in fact 3:30, that means we'd miss our 2pm excursion.  I haven't heard of any arrivals in Juneau earlier than 3.

Is Ketchikan officially off the Crown Princess itinerary with the dock issues?  Or does it depend on how many ships in port?  

Thanks for any info you can provide and enjoy your cruise!

Great to hear the Crown is making the new itinerary, seems like the propulsion issues and plumbing issues are in the past.  Hopefully things continue to improve and the Crown can make the original itinerary in August and September.  We know some people who were on last weeks sailing and they made all of the ports as well.  Enjoy your cruise!

I just got off the Crown on Saturday July 1st.  I really did think about doing a live from thread but frankly I was too busy enjoying myself!  The crew was fantastic, the food in the main dining room was very good.  We made all the ports.  Every time I checked the speed, we were cruising along at around 20 knots.  The entertainers were very very good.  Had a chance to see Steve Morris twice.  He's so funny, one of my personal favorites.

There is a violin duo who perform with the orchestra for Encore but perform a lot in the Atrium.  The Ladies in Red.  Go listen to them.  They are utterly fantastic.  I told the CD that I would literally book another cruise if I knew they would be on board.  They will be on board for the rest of the season. My schedule doesn't allow for me to go again this year.

The only real problem I encountered on this trip was the weather.  It was so very hot in both Juneau and Skagway.  Not Princess fault.

Overall it was a great break for me.

• Like 8

I am going to be on the Crown for 28 days in March 2023 and I am in need of the service menu for the Hair and Nail salon on board.   Would anyone that has been on the Crown recently by any chance have a picture of such menu of services?

11 hours ago, miagirl said:

I just got off the Crown on Saturday July 1st.  I really did think about doing a live from thread but frankly I was too busy enjoying myself!  The crew was fantastic, the food in the main dining room was very good.  We made all the ports.  Every time I checked the speed, we were cruising along at around 20 knots.  The entertainers were very very good.  Had a chance to see Steve Morris twice.  He's so funny, one of my personal favorites.

There is a violin duo who perform with the orchestra for Encore but perform a lot in the Atrium.  The Ladies in Red.  Go listen to them.  They are utterly fantastic.  I told the CD that I would literally book another cruise if I knew they would be on board.  They will be on board for the rest of the season. My schedule doesn't allow for me to go again this year.

The only real problem I encountered on this trip was the weather.  It was so very hot in both Juneau and Skagway.  Not Princess fault.

Overall it was a great break for me.

Trying to get real information about the Arrivecan app. Can you share?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Userclown said:

the only time the arriveCan app mattered on our cruise was during check in. I filled it out a couple of days before, the arriveCan app gave me a number with a QR code. I showed that during check in, someone wrote it down and I was never asked about it again, even though it was mentioned several times during the cruise. I don't even remember showing my passport after check in.

The medallion seemed to cover everything onboard/offboarding security check.

Answering a bunch of questions here. 

booking time for Juneau was 12:00 but arrived at 3:00

princess uses two docks in Skagway. Broadway and railroad. The royal was on railroad where the slide was and crown was on broadway which was a 2 min walk to town. Not saying the crown doesn’t dock there, but we didn’t on this trip so no issues. There were 4 ships in port yesterday. Crown, Royal, konegsdamm and a celebrity ship. 

skagway arrival and departure were on the booked times of 600am to 8:30pm. Honestly more to do there than in Juneau. 

at glacier bay now and icy point tonight. Arriving in icy at 6:00pm and leaving at 9:00pm which sounds like 2 hours too many for that place. Staying on board and eating at the crown grill. 

crew is fantastic. No issues at all on board. Billing is fine.  Service is fine. Ship seems fine. 

nothing to complain about at all. 

Side Covid note. Lots more people coughing yesterday and today than when we boarding. Still don’t understand why pre-boarding testing is needed. Between the test and boarding we went to work, ate out, went to an airport, fly, another airport, skipped the transfer for an Uber, cruise terminal and was on board. Could have gotten sick at any point there. Also, why no testing to reboard in juneau or Skagway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Userclown said:

We had to show the code at check in and then our room attendant asked for the code as well later that day. 

on Monday, we had to fill out a customs declaration. 

That’s it so far. 

18 hours ago, Userclown said:

It is the railroad dock. The one closest to the mountain side. Almost all ships are tendering. I have done this cruise 16 times but have never tendered or even seen it done. It is a wonderful port. Hope we don’t miss it. 

We docked at broadway. Royal was already there at the railroad dock when we pulled in. 

don’t know if it’s like that all the time or if they rotate or it’s random. 

1 hour ago, ChimneyTenders said:

We docked at broadway. Royal was already there at the railroad dock when we pulled in. 

don’t know if it’s like that all the time or if they rotate or it’s random. 

Skagway has four cruise ship docks:

Ore dock (ORE), Broadway dock (BRD), Railroad Forward (RRF) and Railroad Aft (RRA).

The rock slide affected the Railroad Forward dock. Ships are still using the Railroad Aft dock, but passengers cannot walk north, via the Railroad Forward dock, to get to the city. They are using "water shuttles" (tenders for us oldies 😉) to the small boat harbor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChimneyTenders said:

Answering a bunch of questions here. 

booking time for Juneau was 12:00 but arrived at 3:00

princess uses two docks in Skagway. Broadway and railroad. The royal was on railroad where the slide was and crown was on broadway which was a 2 min walk to town. Not saying the crown doesn’t dock there, but we didn’t on this trip so no issues. There were 4 ships in port yesterday. Crown, Royal, konegsdamm and a celebrity ship. 

skagway arrival and departure were on the booked times of 600am to 8:30pm. Honestly more to do there than in Juneau. 

at glacier bay now and icy point tonight. Arriving in icy at 6:00pm and leaving at 9:00pm which sounds like 2 hours too many for that place. Staying on board and eating at the crown grill. 

crew is fantastic. No issues at all on board. Billing is fine.  Service is fine. Ship seems fine. 

nothing to complain about at all. 

Side Covid note. Lots more people coughing yesterday and today than when we boarding. Still don’t understand why pre-boarding testing is needed. Between the test and boarding we went to work, ate out, went to an airport, fly, another airport, skipped the transfer for an Uber, cruise terminal and was on board. Could have gotten sick at any point there. Also, why no testing to reboard in juneau or Skagway. 

Thanks for all the information. Your comments have been positive and helpful! Safe travels

9 hours ago, Userclown said:

As I wasn't planning on entering Canada, I didn't pay much attention to the ArriveCAN situation.  We did download the app the week before leaving and answered their questions and uploaded our proof of vax. Once you have completed that, ArriveCAN issues a "receipt" both on the app and emails the receipt to you.  I like to have backups so I took a screen shot of the receipt and printed out the email  We were desperately late boarding the ship and no one asked about our ArriveCAN status.  Sometime before dinner our cabin steward came and asked for our ArriveCan receipt number.  The receipt number is 6 digits (can be alpha-numeric, just alpha or just numeric).  He was filling out a chart.  The next 2 days they had a sort of workshop in the mornings on the ship in the conference room  for people who need help with the ArriveCan  app (6 forward, right in front of the entrance to the theatre).  These weren't listed in the Patter.  The CD must have announced them in her morning blast and likely on the Wake Show, although I didn't watch that either.  I didn't hear clearly what she said so it took me until Tuesday to figure out what was going in on that conference room.    

That's all I have to report.

• Like 1