Lighting the Menorah

Yourpartylink

15 minutes ago, Yourpartylink said:

We will be on our cruise during Hanukkah. Will there be a communal candle lighting?

From our experience, most cruise ships ban candles because of the fire risk.  We were on a Celebrity ship one time during Chanukah and they supplied "electric" candles...

But I'm not sure about Princess.

Princess will set up a location for a service for every night of Chanukkah. It will need to be led by a passenger.

They will provide:

o Booklets for the service

o An electric menorah

o Wine

o Jelly doughnuts

o Latkes

On some ships the menorah is then relocated to a public area near the customer service desk all eight days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess will set up a location for a service for every night of Chanukkah. It will need to be led by a passenger.

They will provide:

o Booklets for the service

o An electric menorah

o Wine

o Jelly doughnuts

o Latkes

On some ships the menorah is then relocated to a public area near the customer service desk all eight days.

We just did this Last year on the Regal as Chanukkah started in the middle of the cruise. At first there was nothing mentioned in the patter or on the app, but I went and found the Cruise Director, and she had everything set up that day, and even made an announcement for the whole ship so people could join.

On our last cruise in 2019, we were on-board during Chanukah and there were services that observed each day.  There are also Bible-Study groups and in some cases Christian services on Sundays if there is someone on board to conduct them.  We were on a Panama cruise where the CD conducted the Sunday services, turned out he was also an ordained minister.  On a Hawaiian cruise, the person who led the bible-study also conducted the Sunday services, turned out he was a retired pastor, was formerly a member of our church, and he was formerly an engineer that worked at the same company as me; and his wife had worked with the church member who was picking us up at the pier in San Francisco.

Many years ago, the ship provided latkes and other treats for Hannukah.  I was appalled at how avid the guests were for "free food" while in the middle of a week-long cruise -- it was a feeding frenzy!   I think there were pill-dispensing-sized paper cups of wine.  This was in the Vista Lounge.  

My last Hannukah experience, there was an electric menorah, no latkes.  A prayer pamphlet.  I think they might have provided kippas, but I carry my own (one in every suit), so I am not sure if they provided any.  A passenger lead the service.  This was in the conference room aft of the Princess Theater instead of the Vista Lounge.  I don't think there was wine, but I am not sure.

8 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Many years ago, the ship provided latkes and other treats for Hannukah.  I was appalled at how avid the guests were for "free food" while in the middle of a week-long cruise -- it was a feeding frenzy!   I think there were pill-dispensing-sized paper cups of wine.  This was in the Vista Lounge.  

My last Hannukah experience, there was an electric menorah, no latkes.  A prayer pamphlet.  I think they might have provided kippas, but I carry my own (one in every suit), so I am not sure if they provided any.  A passenger lead the service.  This was in the conference room aft of the Princess Theater instead of the Vista Lounge.  I don't think there was wine, but I am not sure.

I think it might have been that people were just interested in seeing what the food was compared to the regular food served on a cruise ship. 

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:
11 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I was appalled at how avid the guests were for "free food" while in the middle of a week-long cruise -- it was a feeding frenzy! 

I think it might have been that people were just interested in seeing what the food was compared to the regular food served on a cruise ship. 

They did not serve latkes with applesauce & sour cream or sufganiyah in the dining room. So yeah, people wanted traditional foods. Unfortunately it was the same manishevitz wine (yuck) but regular wine glasses. Even more challah & same fruit / veggie platters. I think it was the community feeling of having dinner among ourselves. If it looked like a feeding frenzy then perhaps it was misunderstood. It was instead of the MDR

Yes, I was the point person

We were blessed to do a star princess south american cruise a few years ago during Hanukkah and Christmas (we are both religions for over 30 years) Raising our daughter Jewish I add I will say they performed a beautiful Service.  I do not attest to how it is today.  All I know is all the boys loved my daughter so as a dad it was a concern lol!  Seriously they did a magnificent service with a lot of attention and respect and I even went to Midnight Mass for Christmas.  I look forward to any questions you may have. Smooth sailing!