Covid quarantine on the Apex

quicklabs

I believe their are different strengths one can take?  I have a mild kidney issue, so that would be my choice according to my doctor...just wonder if there would be a difference in the taste issue?

Edited by Lastdance

On 7/7/2022 at 3:14 PM, quicklabs said:

I will say that I feel like a perfect idiot for self identifying.   I ruined my vacation for nothing.  

As has been said, all on board are vaxxed, boosted, and very aware of their own personal health conditions - meaning, if they are immunocompromised they aren't onboard at all, or are taking their own precautions - taking responsibility for their own health.  And most importantly, the covid of today is not the covid of January 2020 - not even close.  Don't feel like an idiot, but more and more, to self-report, well - self-report what?  That you have a cold, scratchy throat and maybe a low fever?  If so, as with any cold, you won't want to spend a lot of time around others and you would additionally want to wear a mask to save someone else from getting a cold.  Covid has evolved, which is why testing to board is being dropped by more lines - Viking Ocean has dropped it altogether, and NCL has dropped it for cruises departing from countries other than the USA.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I believe their are different strengths one can take?  I have a mild kidney issue, so that would be my choice according to my doctor...just wonder if there would be a difference in the taste issue?

Hopefully there would be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Not to get too far off topic, but the Bard put those words in the mouth of Polonius, a man who spied on his own children and essentially caused his daughter to commit suicide. Not sure I'd take them without a grain of salt. 😉

Party pooper! 😉

6 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

If everything tastes like poop when taking Paxlovid what do the altoids and jolly rancher candy taste like? Just curious 🧐 

Well to borrow the Altoid slogan, I supposed it would take like Curiously Strong Poop....

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Explain please

Your cruise fare is reimbursed for every day that you are in isolation/quarantine. So while you still may be on board the ship, you are no longer a "paying" customer.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 4:49 PM, drarill said:

Patients are supposed to start Paxlovid within five days from symptoms onset, you shouldn't  wait until your symptoms get worse.  Paxlovid stops the replication of the virus, and is the best tool we have right now to avoid being hospitalized.  Besides that, COVID is not a cold, COVID is an inflammatory disease with serious cardiovascular and neurological sequelae.  If there is a drug that will stop the replication of the virus in my body, I'll take it! BTW, I already took it after getting infected on the Edge.

About the rebound, on the original Paxlovid studies, this "rebound" was also seen on patients taking the placebo. This phenomenon is called COVID rebound and  has  been seen in patients that didn't take Paxlovid.  As a matter of fact, it happened to a good friend of mine, a doctor, that got infected back in December 2021.  A week after testing negative he was feeling better, decided to play some tennis and all the symptoms came back with a vengeance.  If you want to read a little bit more about the topic, here are some links.  

https://www.bmj.com/content/377/bmj.o1365

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/study-finds-few-covid-19-patients-get-rebound-symptoms-after-paxlovid-treatment/

Piggybacking onto Drarill, Paxlovid has a number of drug-drug interactions- it’s method of action is notorious for that - so it should only be prescribed, especially for just in case use, by someone who is very familiar with the drug and familiar with the medical history of the person taking it. I’m not trying to scare anyone, used correctly the drug is safe, most of these interactions aren’t that significant over a brief 5 day course, but a few are, one being St John’s Wort, which many people wouldn’t think to report as something they are taking.

I truly think that’s why cruise ships aren’t going to stock it - I know from a personal experience that the MDs onboard are very reluctant to administer a lot of meds that seem relatively innocuous- I don’t think they want the legal liability, they want sick folk off the ship.

Any lay people out there whose doctor has stocked with Paxlovid for travel, I hope the provider emphasized don’t share it or give to someone else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Your cruise fare is reimbursed for every day that you are in isolation/quarantine. So while you still may be on board the ship, you are no longer a "paying" customer.

I would rather not have a refund and remain "a paying" customer in the Balcony cabin I paid for to sit outside and get some fresh air while in quarantine!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Loracpin2 said:

I would rather not have a refund and remain "a paying" customer in the Balcony cabin I paid for to sit outside and get some fresh air while in quarantine!

If you self-report your runny nose to medical, you won't be given a choice.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

If you self-report your runny nose to medical, you won't be given a choice.

The more I read all the posts about quarantineing, the more concerned I am about or January 3rd & 8th back to back on the Beyond. These will be our first sailings after 5 (last one was for yesterday on RCI t Oasis to celebrate our 55th Anniversary with entire Family of 16) cancellations and we're countng on  January to be stressless back to cruising experience.    

1 minute ago, Loracpin2 said:

The more I read all the posts about quarantineing, the more concerned I am

What is your concern? Being forced to isolate? Or that most others will not self report? Both are valid concerns but you can only control one, not the other.

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

What is your concern? Being forced to isolate? Or that most others will not self report? Both are valid concerns but you can only control one, not the other.

Most concerned if we couldn't stay in our AQ balcony cabin if we had to isolate.  I can't imagine not being able to sit in the fresh air! 

• Like 1

Just now, Loracpin2 said:

Most concerned if we couldn't stay in our AQ balcony cabin if we had to isolate.  I can't imagine not being able to sit in the fresh air! 

Indeed.  Even included in the CDC recommendations for cruise lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

That's the "in your control" scenario.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, Turtles06 said:

This is one of the most disturbing things I've read in any of the isolation threads.   If a guest is placed in isolation because of a medical issue, then medical staff should be checking on them daily.  At the very least, with covid, there should be daily temperature and pulse-ox checks.   

@quicklabs -- you mentioned you have your own thermometer.  Does medical even know that?  (Even if they do, it's still no excuse for medical not checking up on guests.) 

I hope you and your DH are feeling better!

Surprised to hear.    Some one from medical dropped by just after testing to take 02 and temperature .  Late afternoon she was back to take our temps again.   Both times we were normal.   I bring a infrared thermometer and Oxiometer with us so also taking it regularly.   We never did run a temperature.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Surprised to hear.    Some one from medical dropped by just after testing to take 02 and temperature .  Late afternoon she was back to take our temps again.   Both times we were normal.   I bring a infrared thermometer and Oxiometer with us so also taking it regularly.   We never did run a temperature.

No one came to see my my wife for  the 9 days she was in quarantine, except for the test on day 6 

I believe Celebrity treated people differently depending on the cabins they booked 

• Like 1

That's a pretty tall claim to make that Celeb is treating those in quarantine differently based on cabin/status.  I think differences may come down to staff levels onboard / how many covid cases there are, but it sounds a bit far fetched to think the company factors in your loyalty status or cabin in the onboard care. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

No one came to see my my wife for  the 9 days she was in quarantine, except for the test on day 6 

I believe Celebrity treated people differently depending on the cabins they booked 

9 hours ago, calicakes said:

Or their "status". 

Well the OP was in a Celebrity Suite so I don't think that's true. Also, a few weeks ago there was a thread about a couple that was in a Royal Suite and wound up in an OV too....  

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 9:16 AM, Loracpin2 said:

There was a post a few weeks ago about how they were handeling quarantining on an S-class ship.

Instead of isolating covid passengers on deck 6 in balcony cabins where they  would have the opportunity to sit outside and get some fresh air, they were down on deck 3. 

They used deck 6 to quarantine new crew for 2 weeks. I'm sure they enjoyed their balcony rooms!!

We were quarantined in Deck 6 balcony cabins on the Solstice in June.

16 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Piggybacking onto Drarill, Paxlovid has a number of drug-drug interactions- it’s method of action is notorious for that - so it should only be prescribed, especially for just in case use, by someone who is very familiar with the drug and familiar with the medical history of the person taking it. I’m not trying to scare anyone, used correctly the drug is safe, most of these interactions aren’t that significant over a brief 5 day course, but a few are, one being St John’s Wort, which many people wouldn’t think to report as something they are taking.

I truly think that’s why cruise ships aren’t going to stock it - I know from a personal experience that the MDs onboard are very reluctant to administer a lot of meds that seem relatively innocuous- I don’t think they want the legal liability, they want sick folk off the ship.

Any lay people out there whose doctor has stocked with Paxlovid for travel, I hope the provider emphasized don’t share it or give to someone else.

For all of your reasons, I do not expect to see Paxlovid used on cruise ships.  If in the very rare case (these days) that somebody is really ill with COVID they will be taken to a hospital at the next port (or Medivac if necessary).  Shipboard doctors will not risk just trying Paxlovid in these cases that have advanced to needing true medical care in a hospital.  Also it is still in EUA stage and not fully approved.  I don't see people very often (if ever) convincing their doctors to prescribe it pre-vacation "just in case".

Edited by TeeRick