Covid quarantine on the Apex

quicklabs

Number of cases are underreported.  Only reported if a medical facility reports it.  You get a supervised test. You call a doctor. You get Covid med like paxlovid at a pharmacy.  If you self test, it’s not counted.  Wouldn’t be surprised if people on ships self test and avoid the infirmary.  If you are mildly uncomfortable, you might choose to lay low. If you are very sick, you’re likely to seek medical help.  Once you test positive in the infirmary, you may be given unpleasant options.  Quarantine or disembark.  On some cruise lines, not X yet, positive guests are disembarked at the next port. Since the cdc protocols expired for cruises, expect more people to disembark. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, Lastdance said:

So sorry you got big C.  Even if your symptoms are mild it is still a shame that you and your DH cannot stay on your CS.  I am bringing Paxlovid onboard, hoping that I might escape the dungeon earlier if infected; however, no guarantee of that.  It is the chance we all have to take to cruise.  Do you have any idea how you might have caught it?  

Thank you for sharing!

How did you get Paxlovid without being ill? I don't mean that in a smart alec way, just curious way. We have an African safari and I was wishing we could have it "just in case" since we would be away from medical care. Thanks

2 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

How did you get Paxlovid without being ill? I don't mean that in a smart alec way, just curious way. We have an African safari and I was wishing we could have it "just in case" since we would be away from medical care. Thanks

Someone on another current thread( Summit???) said they asked their rheumatologist for a script and they obliged.  I plan to ask mine too, I have an auto-immune disease, thus I'm at a higher risk. 

3 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

My doctor is giving us a prescription for it, so we can fill it before we leave.  He is a concierge doctor and wants us to have it just in case we need it.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Someone on another current thread( Summit???) said they asked their rheumatologist for a script and they obliged.  I plan to ask mine too, I have an auto-immune disease, thus I'm at a higher risk. 

Mine actually recommended it.

I was refused Paxlovid because I would have to stop my heart medications and blood thinners.   He said it was too much of a risk and since I was faxed and double boosted I would successfully fight the virus on my own.   I have no lung issues so that could be the reason I didn’t receive the prescription.    Two days after the onset of symptoms I am feeling better.

17 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I was refused Paxlovid because I would have to stop my heart medications and blood thinners.   He said it was too much of a risk and since I was faxed and double boosted I would successfully fight the virus on my own.   I have no lung issues so that could be the reason I didn’t receive the prescription.    Two days after the onset of symptoms I am feeling better.

Isn’t 1/2 the population over 60 is on blood thinners 🤔😉

22 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

My husband is 74 with no other risk factors other than age. Only takes the lowest dose statin. His doctor did not recommend Paxlovid. He was double boosted. Only symptoms were mild congestion……a 3 out of 10 on the cold scale according to him. I’m not sure it should be prescribed to everyone. 

8 hours ago, calicakes said:

Me, too. I have celiac disease and not everyone recognizes it as an autoimmune disease. Thanks for the responses!!

19 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

If you want it to take along on a trip as a precaution, discuss it with your personal doctor who knows your conditions, prescriptions and medical history.  Even then, many MD's will not prescribe it as it would be an off-label use and they are following the rules.  But it is clear from these boards that some people ask and their doctor goes along with it.

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If you want it to take along on a trip as a precaution, discuss it with your personal doctor who knows your conditions, prescriptions and medical history.  Even then, many MD's will not prescribe it as it would be an off-label use and they are following the rules.  But it is clear from these boards that some people ask and their doctor goes along with it.

I'm not all that worried about getting COVID on my next cruise this fall.  Though just out of curiosity I did ask my Dr. about this exactly.  I'm not going anywhere exotic, a few island stops during a TA, and she said unless there was a compelling reason for her to do so, and she does not feel that there is, there would be no need to prescribe this for me.  She did say to call her a couple weeks before the cruise so that if something were to drastically change we could discuss it further.  I am perfectly fine with her professional judgment.  Besides, the new "booster" may be available by then as well.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

I'm not all that worried about getting COVID on my next cruise this fall.  Though just out of curiosity I did ask my Dr. about this exactly.  I'm not going anywhere exotic, a few island stops during a TA, and she said unless there was a compelling reason for her to do so, and she does not feel that there is, there would be no need to prescribe this for me.  She did say to call her a couple weeks before the cruise so that if something were to drastically change we could discuss it further.  I am perfectly fine with her professional judgment.  Besides, the new "booster" may be available by then as well.

I had the same experience and response when I asked my personal doctor this question.  I am very satisfied that I have the right doctor (for me).  Perhaps if I were going to a region highly endemic with COVID and that had spotty or remote medical care and facilities, I might have another conversation.  But honestly I would not go to such a region right now.

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Perhaps if I were going to a region highly endemic with COVID and that had spotty or remote medical care and facilities, I might have another conversation.

Or a TA with many consecutive at-sea days, perhaps?  Our family foursome, all good with regard to history and meds, will have one course with us 'just in case'.

On 7/11/2022 at 5:58 PM, Twigster said:

As is the socially responsible decision to self isolate should one become ill on a cruise.  Despite the claims by some CC posters that they would do so, I am doubtful.  

I think it boils down to many people not wanting to be isolating in an OV cabin & X turning a blind eye because they'd rather not refund those in quarantine (given RCL's current financial woes).  And then sprinkle on top of that a bit of selfishness (those not reporting but ALSO not taking sufficient precautions) and you get our current status quo.  

Having said that, we're still excited about our cruise on Millie this month (originally planned for 2020).  We'll be the silly-looking ones wearing masks indoors/on tours (more to avoid that OV quarantine scenario rather than being worried about catching covid again).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I think it boils down to many people not wanting to be isolating in an OV cabin & X turning a blind eye because they'd rather not refund those in quarantine (given RCL's current financial woes).  And then sprinkle on top of that a bit of selfishness (those not reporting but ALSO not taking sufficient precautions) and you get our current status quo.  

Having said that, we're still excited about our cruise on Millie this month (originally planned for 2020).  We'll be the silly-looking ones wearing masks indoors/on tours (more to avoid that OV quarantine scenario rather than being worried about catching covid again).

COVID rates on a ship are no more than we are experiencing on land.  Other than when I ride the subway here, I very rarely wear a mask anymore.  On the ship I will most likely be doing the same, though I will make that final decision once I am on-board.  I will though be wearing my mask when on a tour bus, like I do here on the subway, will be in close proximity to others so I will be prudent with that.  As to turning a "blind eye", I will be honest and say that I don't right now, know exactly what I'd do in that situation, but again, it is probably a decision I'll make if/when I need to once on-board.  

I did a self test onboard a cruise in May because of a scratchy throat and tested positive. I self quarantined in the cabin for the days before departure. Other than being very tired I was fine. I feel I took sufficient precautions.

Laura

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

I did a self test onboard a cruise in May because of a scratchy throat and tested positive. I self quarantined in the cabin for the days before departure. Other than being very tired I was fine. I feel I took sufficient precautions.

Laura

Not judging just asking.  Did your other cabin mates isolate with you?   Did you get room service delivery for food/drink?  Did you suspend cabin service by the stateroom attendant?  If any of the above did anyone from Celebrity question you about your situation?