NCL ends pre-cruise testing (except where locally required, including U.S. and Canada)

Turtles06

Since the following is a pretty major step, I thought it would be of interest to folks here (especially since HAL is already trying out no pre-cruise testing on a few Rotterdam cruises this month).  NCLH, the parent company of NCL, Regent, and Oceania, today announced the end of pre-cruise testing effective August 1, 2022, except where required by "local regulations" (which NCLH says includes, among others, cruises departing from U.S. and Canadian ports).  Here's the relevant text of the press release:

"MIAMI, July 06, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (NYSE: NCLH) (the “Company”) today announced it will no longer require guests to complete pre-cruise COVID-19 testing unless required by local regulations. This policy will go into effect across Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises beginning August 1, 2022. The pre-embarkation testing requirement will remain in place for guests currently traveling on voyages departing from destinations with local testing regulations, including but not limited to the U.S., Canada, Greece and Bermuda. The relaxation of the testing policy is in line with the rest of the travel, leisure and hospitality industry worldwide as society continues to adapt and return to a state of normalcy. The Company continues to strongly recommend all guests be up to date on vaccination protocols and test at their convenience prior to travel."

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Since the following is a pretty major step, I thought it would be of interest to folks here (especially since HAL is already trying out no pre-cruise testing on a few Rotterdam cruises this month).  NCLH, the parent company of NCL, Regent, and Oceania, today announced the end of pre-cruise testing effective August 1, 2022, except where required by "local regulations" (which NCLH says includes, among others, cruises departing from U.S. and Canadian ports).  Here's the relevant text of the press release:

"MIAMI, July 06, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (NYSE: NCLH) (the “Company”) today announced it will no longer require guests to complete pre-cruise COVID-19 testing unless required by local regulations. This policy will go into effect across Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises beginning August 1, 2022. The pre-embarkation testing requirement will remain in place for guests currently traveling on voyages departing from destinations with local testing regulations, including but not limited to the U.S., Canada, Greece and Bermuda. The relaxation of the testing policy is in line with the rest of the travel, leisure and hospitality industry worldwide as society continues to adapt and return to a state of normalcy. The Company continues to strongly recommend all guests be up to date on vaccination protocols and test at their convenience prior to travel."

Is pre-cruise testing requiered in the US by the CDC, or is it only RECOMMENDED?

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is pre-cruise testing requiered in the US by the CDC, or is it only RECOMMENDED?

Depends on how you define “voluntary”. CDC says the cruise lines have voluntarily agreed to comply with its cruise requirements, but any cruise line that does not volunteer, while still allowed to sail, is flagged as not complying with CDC recommendations. It’s what we used to call “twisting the arm behind the back” volunteering. Why else would CLIA ask for CDC to change its requirements if they were truly “voluntary”?

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am fully vaccinated including two boosters.  I wore a KN95 mask on and off the ship except while eating.  I still got COVID during the cruise.  I strongly oppose eliminating the pre-cruise testing requirement.  COVID is still out there despite what many people would like to believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I am fully vaccinated including two boosters.  I wore a KN95 mask on and off the ship except while eating.  I still got COVID during the cruise.  I strongly oppose eliminating the pre-cruise testing requirement.  COVID is still out there despite what many people would like to believe.

Agreed.  I personally wish they would just do a rapid antigen test docside, using the free test kits.  It takes only a few minutes, and pull asside for retesting any positives.

The need for reports and paperwork is what causes so much hassle.  I could envision a quick swab, and then a brief wait, then board.  No testing at all is causing me to rethink a booked Regent Cruise.

But I think they dont want the lost revenue and would rather sail with Covid onboard

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, quack2 said:

But you are a perfect example of why pre-cruise testing is simply ineffective and ultimately unnecessary.  Yes, COVID is still out there and always will be.  But now that it is no more than a nuisance to most people (especially those who are vaccinated), it's time to stop treating it like ebola or the black plague.

• Like 11

Talked to our local pharmacist yesterday on getting our second booster.  He said that the thinking now is that the shots will not stop you from getting COVID, but rather they will reduce the chances of having to be hospitalized if you do get it.  This seems to mesh with local experiences, where while MANY people we know are catching COVID, the hospitalization numbers are way down from a year (ore even 6 months) ago.

I do think it is time we stopped the required testing, as it really does not seem to work anyway.

• Like 5

Progress.

In possibly related news, I received a mail promotion from HAL this week that did not contain any language concerning covid vaccine requirement. Previously, information concerning vaccine requirements was included as a footnote in all HAL promotional material.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:24 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

By your own admission you are quadruple jabbed and wore a mask, but still caught covid on a cruise ship. What seems utterly insane to me is the belief that any amount of precaution can stop this virus. 

Stop?  No.  Minimize?  Hell yes. 

The goal isn't perfection

• Thanks 1