Carnival Luminosa New Paint

JP350

On 7/7/2022 at 5:02 PM, F27TW said:

This new look reminds me of the funnel on the pre-Fantasy class ships  (original mardi Gras, Carnivale). 

Exactly what I thought when I saw it.  And to me its instantly recognizable as Carnival because of that.  I like it.  Gives it a retro look.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, tidecat said:

Luminosa basically gives us three generations of Carnival livery: the pre-1982 stovepipe funnel, the original livery from the Spirit class (the red riband and block lettering at the bow), and the whale tale logo on the hull from the current (2020-present) livery.

The lifeboats are still yellow, but out of Carnival Corp's mainstream lines (P&O, P&O AU, Costa, AIDA, and Carnival), yellow is surprisingly competitive.

Yellow life boats are a relatively new color. Orange is the traditional color, but when Disney launched in the 90s they wanted the lifeboats to be yellow something to do with mickey. They had to go to the cost guard and test to show that that yellow could be seen in the dark, fog, and other emergency situations. Then yellow became more popular after it was found that it could actually be seen better than orange.

8 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Yellow life boats are a relatively new color. Orange is the traditional color, but when Disney launched in the 90s they wanted the lifeboats to be yellow something to do with mickey. They had to go to the cost guard and test to show that that yellow could be seen in the dark, fog, and other emergency situations. Then yellow became more popular after it was found that it could actually be seen better than orange.

I think it was Mickey's shoes.

55 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Actually, yellow boats were around before Disney cruises.  But Disney wanted a specific shade of yellow, and they did not go to the USCG, they went to the Bahamian Maritime Authority, who appealed to the IMO for acceptance.  USCG really cannot say anything about what a foreign flag ship does as long as the flag state and IMO says it meets SOLAS.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, yellow boats were around before Disney cruises.  But Disney wanted a specific shade of yellow, and they did not go to the USCG, they went to the Bahamian Maritime Authority, who appealed to the IMO for acceptance.  USCG really cannot say anything about what a foreign flag ship does as long as the flag state and IMO says it meets SOLAS.

Would they have to get it approved if they flagged a ship somewhere else? (Not US)

2 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Would they have to get it approved if they flagged a ship somewhere else? (Not US)

Not completely sure what you're asking, but regardless of where the ship is flagged, that flag state would have to approve the color, and it would have to be submitted to IMO for approval.  Disney ships are not flagged in US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not completely sure what you're asking, but regardless of where the ship is flagged, that flag state would have to approve the color, and it would have to be submitted to IMO for approval.  Disney ships are not flagged in US.

I know they are not flagged in US but if they decided to flag one in Italy for whatever reason then wouldn't Italy have to approve

I think you answered my question

Edited by CarnivalShips480

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 1:42 PM, BlerkOne said:

Has cruising even restarted in Australia? Why throw away money?

Yes cruising has re-started in Australia, but no Carnival ships here yet. Just P&O (Pacific Explorer and this weekend the Pacific Encounter starts) and the Coral Princess.

Anyone got any more information on the Luminosa and it's start in Brisbane?

• Thanks 1

The OP has some good points though.  If you for example wish to hang out at Guy's, there pretty much has to be one aboard.  Renaming venues seems easy.  I personally would not require a Farcus makeover- some glue on plastic lobby decorations - fake columns and stuff to look like Rome?  

And - a Chengkp75 question- would a funnel modification require a trip to the shipyard ($$) and the whole class engineering approval thing?  Would a real Carnival funnel have to have the gas piping redirected to the wings of the funnel?  Would people howl and wail if the exhaust still went up and not sideways?  

We all have to remember pre 2020 the cruise industry was growing at six percent a year.  Anything that floated sailed full.  If the passenger counts keep rising, it would seem the order books would re-open.  

• 2 months later...

I rather like the interiors of the public areas of Luminosa. Classic Italian styling. I think the reason the ship was moved to Carnival brand is the increase in Alaska and Australia routes. There is also the recession and inflation in Europe affecting leisure dollars. 

They did do some cabin rehab. I understand each state room received a brand new 2022 shower curtain.🚿 

2 hours ago, Moviela said:

They did do some cabin rehab. I understand each state room received a brand new 2022 shower curtain.🚿 

What's great about the existing cabins is they added USB ports to the night stands and also upgraded large flat panel TVs mounted on the wall. The Spirit Class TVs are so small you can barely see anything.

• Like 2

I've booked the Luminosa for Alaska next year!!  I can't wait! Woo Hoo!!   (BTW, the very 1st Carnival Ship (Mardi Gras) didn't have a whale tail, so I'm not taken aback by it not being there! LOL  🙂  Looks like a nice ship from the pics I've seen.  Will be fun to try it out! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 11:11 PM, JP350 said:

I don’t care about the color of the life boats, but it’s a thing that differentiates itself from the rest of the fleet little things and little things lead to big things. I’ve seen it on the pride as well mantance cracked windows rust little things that shows the brand is struggling. Other lines while struggling aren’t sacrificing the mantance of their ships. Coupled with the fact that the corporation not the line has no new ships on order after next year. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth honestly.

I have been on 5 ships since the restart and the Pride was the only one that looked like that.  I do, however, agree with you on how the Pride looked, though...I think that is probably why it is going into dry dock next spring.

• Like 1