Who else thinks world Europa is a copy of the Oasis Class

The more and more I see MSC world Europa I just think more and more there’s a copy of the oasis class I know there’s an msc forum I. Thought that it’s better to post here. I just saw some new pictures of the ship from the shipyard and she looks more and more like the oasis class ships promande, park (mabye?), boardwalk, dry slide. All of the things the oasis class made famous. But after seeing the entrance to the slide today (Snake Themed) it seems more and more like this is a “sure u can copy my homework but just change a few answers” kind of deal. Thoughts? 

80664966-DC02-4E1A-A58C-05245B3DD4F0.jpeg

518B896E-928A-465E-A61F-C1C9E0ED101B.jpeg

B831DC01-58B1-45BA-882F-13B01703AC34.jpeg

24 minutes ago, gatour said:

The different cruise lines have adopted ideas from each other for years and years.  This no different.

I know they have, but this is more than copying sure copying one idea from a ship has been done many times, but the cruise industry is about innovation and nothing about this ship is innovative 

31 minutes ago, JP350 said:

nothing about this ship is innovative 

It may be just a little premature to make such a bold statement.  Or have the full details of the ship been released?  I haven't paid a lot of attention to Europa.

For years many Royal ships didn't have water slides.  Then they retrofitted them onto many different ships.  That wasn't innovative but understanding the market and adding features that guests were asking for.  It was also copying other cruise lines that did usually put water slides on their ships.  

Some of what we are seeing may simply be the natural direction a ship designer is led when tasked with creating a larger platform.  Ships can't go taller without become less stable.  Length also has limitations based on the ports that are visited.  Going bigger naturally takes a designer in the direction of going wider.  Once you go wider there are still design constraints to keep weight distributed to end up with a stable platform.   What do you do with the extra space on a wider ship?   The air space in between may be a forced limitation of going wider.

Absolutely there is a lot of copying in ship design. They all copy each other.   That doesn't mean they haven't innovated in other areas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It may be just a little premature to make such a bold statement.  Or have the full details of the ship been released?  I haven't paid a lot of attention to Europa.

For years many Royal ships didn't have water slides.  Then they retrofitted them onto many different ships.  That wasn't innovative but understanding the market and adding features that guests were asking for.  It was also copying other cruise lines that did usually put water slides on their ships.  

Some of what we are seeing may simply be the natural direction a ship designer is led when tasked with creating a larger platform.  Ships can't go taller without become less stable.  Length also has limitations based on the ports that are visited.  Going bigger naturally takes a designer in the direction of going wider.  Once you go wider there are still design constraints to keep weight distributed to end up with a stable platform.   What do you do with the extra space on a wider ship?   The air space in between may be a forced limitation of going wider.

Absolutely there is a lot of copying in ship design. They all copy each other.   That doesn't mean they haven't innovated in other areas. 

That was my fault I should’ve said that most of the ship isn’t innovative because their definitely are some msc staples on this ship. But I will say that if we just copied the boardwalk or just Central Park or just the slide the I would say fine, but the culmination of the things Royal has done seems a bit fishy to me. I will admit that I never thought that ship companies used the same designers. 

6 hours ago, JP350 said:

That was my fault I should’ve said that most of the ship isn’t innovative because their definitely are some msc staples on this ship. But I will say that if we just copied the boardwalk or just Central Park or just the slide the I would say fine, but the culmination of the things Royal has done seems a bit fishy to me. I will admit that I never thought that ship companies used the same designers. 

Google "Carnival Project Pinnacle".  During the same time that Oasis class was in the early design phases Carnival was working on a similar mega ship design but they ended up cancelling their project.  Who copied who?   We will probably never know or perhaps the aft air gap space between port and starboard is the natural conclusion when going wider.  

Considering that Oasis design started around 5 years before it launched into service the dry slides came well over a decade later.  Carnival Pinnacle Project included water slides on the aft dropping the equivalent of what became The Abyss on Royal.  Water is heavy and moving all that water that height for water slides would have an engineering challenge so a dry slide may be an inevitable conclusion.  That is likely where Carnival would have ended up if their project proceeded beyond the initial proposal phase.

As mentioned up thread at least the MSC dry slide isn't fully aft destroying the view for those inward facing balcony cabins. 

The good news is the competition will force Royal to innovate even more looking at Icon class and beyond because right now they may be starting to gather concepts and ideas for the next class beyond Icon.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw a you tube video of the MSC Meraviglia and thought it was very nice .

Their promenade with the lit up ceiling was impressive .

Looked like a very classy ship . Im inclined to give it a go one day .

8 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

Reminds me of how RCL copied this Ferry,  MS Silja Symphony for their promenades/esplanades. Guess everyone copies everyone.

Very true.  I wish they had copied it further and included a skylight.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, twangster said:

We will probably never know or perhaps the aft air gap space between port and starboard is the natural conclusion when going wider.  

Thank you for bringing this up. I was going to post that I was watching a YouTube video that was explaining how Carnival's ship designers had a design that looks eerily similar to what we now know as the Oasis class of ships. There are sources out there claiming that this design was happening as early as 2004 by the designer Joe Farcus.

I imagine that there are some engineering limits that might require this kind of design, combined with wanting passenger experience not to feel claustrophobic or overcrowded (imagine how many interior staterooms cold fit in that gap!).

Not sure, but I do know that the QN-class ships were originally supposed to be Celebrity ships (which is why there is no Viking Crown Lounge and you can still see "X"s in the windows of the Royal Esplanade.) But, during the process, Celebrity decided they didn't want them, so the design got bought by MSC...who then dropped them for the Vista Project design (which is really similar). 

Finally, Royal Caribbean signed on and got the ships built.  It's pretty obvious they're not like other RCL ships...and this is why.

57 minutes ago, miraflores said:

Not sure, but I do know that the QN-class ships were originally supposed to be Celebrity ships (which is why there is no Viking Crown Lounge and you can still see "X"s in the windows of the Royal Esplanade.) But, during the process, Celebrity decided they didn't want them, so the design got bought by MSC...who then dropped them for the Vista Project design (which is really similar). 

Finally, Royal Caribbean signed on and got the ships built.  It's pretty obvious they're not like other RCL ships...and this is why.

I didn't know that. That's a really cool fact. I've always wondered why there was no viking crown and there were x's in the windows, but all I summed it up to be was that they were built for different parts of the world. 

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Google "Carnival Project Pinnacle".  During the same time that Oasis class was in the early design phases Carnival was working on a similar mega ship design but they ended up cancelling their project.  Who copied who?   We will probably never know or perhaps the aft air gap space between port and starboard is the natural conclusion when going wider.  

Considering that Oasis design started around 5 years before it launched into service the dry slides came well over a decade later.  Carnival Pinnacle Project included water slides on the aft dropping the equivalent of what became The Abyss on Royal.  Water is heavy and moving all that water that height for water slides would have an engineering challenge so a dry slide may be an inevitable conclusion.  That is likely where Carnival would have ended up if their project proceeded beyond the initial proposal phase.

As mentioned up thread at least the MSC dry slide isn't fully aft destroying the view for those inward facing balcony cabins. 

The good news is the competition will force Royal to innovate even more looking at Icon class and beyond because right now they may be starting to gather concepts and ideas for the next class beyond Icon.   

I will have to give my props to msc's designers because ultimate abyss blocks views of the aqua theater for most of the boardwalk balconies. Royal's designers are you looking at that. 

4 hours ago, alexgtp said:

Reminds me of how RCL copied this Ferry,  MS Silja Symphony for their promenades/esplanades. Guess everyone copies everyone.

Architects have always copied the past

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the photo.    That snake is definitely ugly.     Why would they use that as an attraction?

The Abyss fish head is pretty ugly.

It does look good lit up at night

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notscb said:

Thank you for bringing this up. I was going to post that I was watching a YouTube video that was explaining how Carnival's ship designers had a design that looks eerily similar to what we now know as the Oasis class of ships. There are sources out there claiming that this design was happening as early as 2004 by the designer Joe Farcus.

I imagine that there are some engineering limits that might require this kind of design, combined with wanting passenger experience not to feel claustrophobic or overcrowded (imagine how many interior staterooms cold fit in that gap!).

There is also the lifeboat requirements.  If you fill that space with cabins, there is just so much space to add lifeboats or life rafts to accomdate the additional passengers and the additional crew that services those cabins

5 hours ago, alexgtp said:

that ship is older than Oasis and Emma Cruises did a nice video on You Tube.  Wow really impressed with that ferry.  

I think a lot of great minds have the same idea around the same time and whoever gets it done first gets the credit.  But to me that ferry had a narrow and nicer promenade than any Oasis or Voyager ship.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lilalila said:

I also read that the Europa will have infinite-type balconies like on the Celebrity Edge class ships.   

That's what I though I heard but I could never find it again.