NCL ships completely running out of types of alcohol

JGmf

I can't believe the people in this thread making excuses or otherwise seemingly trying to justify a cruise ship being out of a type of spirit.  

I understand all the supply chain issues, but, if NCL is going to insist on Just In Time provisioning they put themselves at risk of not having what they need.  Now that it's happened, I would hope they are adjusting their model and they start stockpiling so it doesn't happen again.  Although I doubt they are.

• Like 1

It's not just NCL. When I cruised Carnival in Feb they had no chicken - none, anywhere on the ship. When I cruised in March there was no basil and no lemons. Friends who got back from an RCL cruise a few weeks ago reported there was no milk after day 3

• Like 1

while i feel your pain, if the only problem  you run into on your cruise, is running out of a certain type of liquor, youre doing ok and nothing to complain about. read some of the previous posts about not getting luggage, getting covid while onboard, cancelling a shore excursion that you were really looking forward to.

running out of booze, is fortunately only ,  a 1st world problem, so if it really does happen, take a chill pill and enjoy the rest of the  voyage, im sure there are so many other types of alcohol that you can try, especially since the booze package is free. by  the way, i prefer chivas, but if its not available, i can be just as satisfied with a mojito, or a manhattan, or whatever type of scotch happens to be available.

if not i can always fall back  on my true addiction, pepsi cola! (lol)

'

and yes chiefmate, i never have a bloody mary with breakfast, although i'll order a glass of champagne or mimosa

5 hours ago, JGmf said:

I'm rebranding the thread featured below (with the non-specific title that may not get the proper attention it deserves), to better alert, collect, and share information on all NCL ships, asking if entire categories of alcohol (vodka, tequila, etc.) are out of stock and largely not available on your ships. Yeah, if specific, select brand(s) are missing, fine....welcome to the new world we live in....but if there's no vodka (at all, regardless of the brand), then that's a real problem.  If that's the case for my upcoming cruises, it may force may hand to change plans.  Thanks for the information.

You you take one ship from one person's perspective and declare that the entire fleet has gone into prohibition. Sorry, rebranded it that NCL has declared prohibition. This is exactly what the main stream media does,,, called fake news. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JGmf said:

Thanks.  If you all could specify ship and month, that would be helpful for us.....

...plus then we can audit the trends, tease-out the supply chain snags, then send the helpful advice to the (seemingly stumped and paralyzed) NCL provision managers.

Now this is funny, thanks I needed the chuckle 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, complawyer said:

and yes chiefmate, i never have a bloody mary with breakfast, although i'll order a glass of champagne or mimosa

Oddly, I had never even tried a bloody Mary until about a year ago because I'm not a big fan of tomato juice.  It was actually my DD who encouraged me to try one, and a Grey Goose spicy bloody Mary is now a buffet breakfast staple. 😎  Hey, don't knock it until you try it! 🤣

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I'm just glad I turned down the "FREE UNLIMITED OPEN BAR" which still costs $20 per person per day, or $400.00 for 2 people on a 10-day cruise. 

Thank you!!  If others follow your lead, it should alleviate the shortages for the rest of us 🐀🐀🐀.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I'm just glad I turned down the "FREE UNLIMITED OPEN BAR" which still costs $20 per person per day, or $400.00 for 2 people on a 10-day cruise. 

If you don’t drink, it’s a no brainer..if you do, it’s a no brainer to take it.  Math ain’t hard. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Now that it's happened, I would hope they are adjusting their model and they start stockpiling so it doesn't happen again.

Clearly a comment by someone lacking business experience.  Inventories have carrying costs, costs NCL can ill afford to pay as the cruise economy is still so tight.  And it is not a single inventory, but multiple departure ports would need to be covered.  As a shareholder and a passenger, I can live without any one particular liquor on a cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nothing surprises me about establishments running out of items.  Once went to Friendly's Ice Cream store and they were out of chocolate syrup.  KFC, out of chicken.  They had boneless items, but nothing with bones in them.  Subway, no bread.  You could have a salad.  I've been a part of events, and we've drank the hotel bar out of rum.  That may have happened twice.

Honestly, with the shipping issues we're having in the US.  I could completely see a truck not making it to a pier in time for the ship to load up on an item before leaving.  Maybe that's what happened to the vodka truck.

13 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I can't believe the people in this thread making excuses or otherwise seemingly trying to justify a cruise ship being out of a type of spirit.

Hey, I'm not making excuses for NCL! Lord knows, after one cruise with them I have enough to whine about - I choose to dwell on the positive. And have booked a lovely suite in August!

I'm just confused why someone would actually cancel their cruise, or even consider it, if no vodka is present on board. 

1 hour ago, HuliHuli said:

As a shareholder and a passenger, I can live without any one particular liquor on a cruise.

I agree, except for Veuve. I have to have my Veuve! 😂🥂🐀

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WickedRed said:

Nothing surprises me about establishments running out of items.  Once went to Friendly's Ice Cream store and they were out of chocolate syrup.  KFC, out of chicken.  They had boneless items, but nothing with bones in them.  Subway, no bread.  You could have a salad.  I've been a part of events, and we've drank the hotel bar out of rum.  That may have happened twice.

Honestly, with the shipping issues we're having in the US.  I could completely see a truck not making it to a pier in time for the ship to load up on an item before leaving.  Maybe that's what happened to the vodka truck.

False comparison. 

You didn’t pay for your chicken and ice cream 120 days in advance.   

I have have no issues with a ship running out of a brand of alcohol.   However,  to run out of a mainstream type is not acceptable.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey, I'm not making excuses for NCL! Lord knows, after one cruise with them I have enough to whine about - I choose to dwell on the positive. And have booked a lovely suite in August!

I'm just confused why someone would actually cancel their cruise, or even consider it, if no vodka is present on board. 

I wouldn't cancel my cruise over it but my husband would definitely reconsider cruising with them again if their were other options available. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Twocoasts said:

United Business Class flight to Rome--no hard alcohol at all because catering forgot to stock it

i was on a united flight from a few years ago, flying business class from london to new york. i received a text eight hours before the flight saying there would be no ice cream on the flight, due to the unavailability of dry ice. 

2 hours ago, WickedRed said:

I could completely see a truck not making it to a pier in time for the ship to load up on an item before leaving.  Maybe that's what happened to the vodka truck.

i'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a "vodka truck." spirit distributors represent more than one brand and more than one type of spirit. so one truck is likely to deliver vodka, gin, whiskey, rum, cognac, champagne, tequila, as well as all manner of liqueurs and nonalcoholic beverage products.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twocoasts said:

United Business Class flight to Rome--no hard alcohol at all because catering forgot to stock it

I've had that happen before.  The real revolt happened on the flight I was on where catering failed to cater the ice cream 😉

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i received a text eight hours before the flight saying there would be no ice cream on the flight, due to the unavailability of dry ice.

At least you got notice ahead of time.  We were told after we were in-flight.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Haha 1