A current affair accuracy again.

Good old A Current Affair gets it wrong again.Apart from having the daughter in law of  a man who actually had covid on board the Coral Princess ( she wasn’t )  but claimed “many”  guests had covid,  4 people apparently have covid on board according to nine news. They also said that “ ironically  the Coral Princess  is  a “ sister ship” to the Ruby Princess. 
Where  is Mick Fuller when you need him. 

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 3

I felt that the Current Affair report was reasonably accurate and did not sensationalize the outbreak. It's reasonable to say that the Coral is a sister ship to the Ruby Princess because they both belong to the same cruise line. I agree that we could say the ships aren't 'sisters' because they are different in design, but to someone not involved in cruising, this difference wouldn't mean they weren't sisters. (Sorry if that reasoning is convoluted!)

Late this afternoon I was speaking on the phone to my brother who told me the Channel 7 early news had a crawler referring to "100 passengers stranded on the COVID ship".

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Good old A Current Affair gets it wrong again.Apart from having the daughter in law of  a man who actually had covid on board the Coral Princess ( she wasn’t )  but claimed “many”  guests had covid,  4 people apparently have covid on board according to nine news. They also said that “ ironically  the Coral Princess  is  a “ sister ship” to the Ruby Princess. 
Where  is Mick Fuller when you need him. 

Mick has retired, lol, enjoying his 500k per annum police pension, lol. Karen is now commish, rarely seen, not popular with the rank and file,

Edited by NSWP

The statement on the news tonight that I liked was:-

"Coral Princess cruise ship is riddled with covid, of the 2300 passengers & Crew, 100 passenger's & crew are sick and isolated."

Not sure where they get their facts,  but even using their figures, 4.3% I would not have thought would represented riddled with covid????

• Like 2

I am sorry to say, the title of the thread is an oxymoron.

ACA has always been a bottom feeder, so it wont change the opinion of anyone that matters. The good part is, that if this all settles down over the next couple of weeks and goes back to code yellow, it proves the protocols are working. The better part is they will all have a degree of immunity when we board next month.

• Like 3

I didn't see the story but read the headlines and expected the truth to be quite different from whatever was reported. In saying that, I was astounded when I was on the Coral last month that there was a self serve buffet and no policing of masks anywhere onboard. I guess I was expecting a much bigger outbreak, and sooner. But by having short cruises initially I figured people were off the ship before their symptoms showed so it couldn't be blamed on cruising but as cruises get longer, they have a more captive audience and it'll make for a better news beat up.

For the record, my concerns re the slack covid "protocols" onboard were not meant as a whinge, but more about the risk that cruising would be paused again and that I would miss out for another 2 years 🥺

• Like 2

The Today show just had a segment on the Coral Princess, and said it slip in under the cover of darkness. (Most cruise ships come in when the sun is raising).

Will be interesting to see if they report any positive comments.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mum and son said:

In saying that, I was astounded when I was on the Coral last month that there was a self serve buffet and no policing of masks anywhere onboard

Sorry, but I must disagree about the self serve buffet on Coral.

Yes …… there were a few self serve benches, but these were predominately hot foods.

Elsewhere, throughout the buffet there were individual bowls of salad, fruit salad, sandwiches, cheese, etc. Absolutely no reason why you couldn’t grab an untouched individual plate. If you wanted more choice, the MDR or other venues were available. 
And, the responsibility of making sure your hands were washed / sanitised before you ate is your own. 
Personally, I am over the need to have anything to do with Covid “Policed”. The crew are there to be of service, not to police personal choices.

High time that personal responsibility became a “thing”.

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Sorry, but I must disagree about the self serve buffet on Coral.

Yes …… there were a few self serve benches, but these were predominately hot foods.

Elsewhere, throughout the buffet there were individual bowls of salad, fruit salad, sandwiches, cheese, etc. Absolutely no reason why you couldn’t grab an untouched individual plate. If you wanted more choice, the MDR or other venues were available. 
And, the responsibility of making sure your hands were washed / sanitised before you ate is your own. 
Personally, I am over the need to have anything to do with Covid “Policed”. The crew are there to be of service, not to police personal choices.

High time that personal responsibility became a “thing”.

I don't disagree with you at all about personal responsibility. As I was saying, my concern is that cruising will be shut down again because it is so easy to pinpoint an "outbreak" on a ship. 

Ships are so used to switching to staff served buffets when there is a noro outbreak I'm just surprised they didn't take that option for the restart.

Covid outbreaks on a ship may not phase hardened cruisers like us but the bad press will stop of lot of others from going, and that in turn stops cruising. The ships won't keep sailing if passengers aren't making bookings. I don't want to see that happen.

Half of this country still think covid was invented by the Diamond Princess!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mum and son said:

I don't disagree with you at all about personal responsibility. As I was saying, my concern is that cruising will be shut down again because it is so easy to pinpoint an "outbreak" on a ship. 

Ships are so used to switching to staff served buffets when there is a noro outbreak I'm just surprised they didn't take that option for the restart.

Covid outbreaks on a ship may not phase hardened cruisers like us but the bad press will stop of lot of others from going, and that in turn stops cruising. The ships won't keep sailing if passengers aren't making bookings. I don't want to see that happen.

Half of this country still think covid was invented by the Diamond Princess!

You are right in what you say re; the impression that the media stories are giving the general public. Finger crossed it doesn’t cancel cruising again 🤞

But I think that the service of passengers in the buffet on Coral could be due to the lack of staff and inexperience of the current crew. I truly thought the way they had laid out individual plates solved the problem of not yet having the staffing to provide personal service in a buffet section.

Hope that you enjoyed your cruise anyway and get to enjoy many more 😎

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

But I think that the service of passengers in the buffet on Coral could be due to the lack of staff and inexperience of the current crew.

Look what lack of staff and inexperience has done to the airlines. Cruising has certainly done a much better job than that! 

Cruise on! 😃

Edited by mum and son
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I felt that the Current Affair report was reasonably accurate and did not sensationalize the outbreak. It's reasonable to say that the Coral is a sister ship to the Ruby Princess because they both belong to the same cruise line. I agree that we could say the ships aren't 'sisters' because they are different in design, but to someone not involved in cruising, this difference wouldn't mean they weren't sisters. (Sorry if that reasoning is convoluted!)

Late this afternoon I was speaking on the phone to my brother who told me the Channel 7 early news had a crawler referring to "100 passengers stranded on the COVID ship".

According to the definitions that I looked up ( something  ACA never does)  sister ships are two ships of the same class.  The Coral and the Ruby are not.However, their ill informed comment creates a “ guilty by association” thought in the minds of the public who do not know any different.

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

You are right in what you say re; the impression that the media stories are giving the general public. Finger crossed it doesn’t cancel cruising again 🤞

But I think that the service of passengers in the buffet on Coral could be due to the lack of staff and inexperience of the current crew. I truly thought the way they had laid out individual plates solved the problem of not yet having the staffing to provide personal service in a buffet section.

Hope that you enjoyed your cruise anyway and get to enjoy many more 😎

We generally avoid the buffet like the plague. OK, bad pun that one.

It is more than sanitising and individual serves though. A simple cough can contaminate those individual serves, so it is a loose protocol to not have separation between passengers and the food. Although the food choice/quality might be down a notch, P&O Pantry works really well in these times. The only self serve was for wrapped rolls/wraps and individual desserts you had to reach under a covering glass shelf for.

Maybe Princess have it right though. It is mostly crew infected ATM, so it is what is happening below deck that will be under most scrutiny.

ABC Breakfast reported just the facts, 118 cases on board as it arrives in Sydney, most are crew. 

Then a comment - at least they are not bringing the virus as there are many many more cases already all over Sydney

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

According to the definitions that I looked up ( something  ACA never does)  sister ships are two ships of the same class.  The Coral and the Ruby are not.However, their ill informed comment creates a “ guilty by association” thought in the minds of the public who do not know any different.

All good for us nuffies, and we will continue to cringe over their inaccuracies. They are getting better though, as at least they named the correct ship. Stories of the past couldn't tell the difference between Pacific Dawn & Princess Dawn (aka Dawn Princess). They were both big and white and looked the same to them.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

All good for us nuffies, and we will continue to cringe over their inaccuracies. They are getting better though, as at least they named the correct ship. Stories of the past couldn't tell the difference between Pacific Dawn & Princess Dawn (aka Dawn Princess). They were both big and white and looked the same to them.

I reckon you could make a quid here Geoff…Run a training course for the stupid media..Subject: Identification of cruise ships. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I reckon you could make a quid here Geoff…Run a training course for the stupid media..Subject: Identification of cruise ships. 

Yeah, nah. Bit like

giphy.gif.0dafaf02a8e4f370dbc2ca52eeb924d8.gif

• Haha 4

We have a much higher standard of journalism in the Hunter. Backed by plenty of investigative journalism, covid is no longer the number 1 concern to the residents of Newcastle, with a much more dangerous outbreak exceeding the daily covid numbers. Check out The Daily Blue - they haven't picked on cruising .... yet.

DB.jpg.24cd05c5b72a8d1fda0fbb4b4afba598.jpg

• Haha 5