How is anyone managing the chaos of Air travel and getting to the ship on time?

jonthomas

15 hours ago, ORV said:

Could you post a link to where they show you their advantages. You did see the post letting you know that cut and paste you did is NOT from Oceania's site, but from a Travel Agent's site?

You posted all the rules and regulations why no one should feel confident using O air. I asked that you also post the rules and regs for why it is a good thing at a time like this to use O air, instead of taking the time it took you to post the opposite, you have turned it back to me to do so. Not helpful. 

Anyone else here have any info from O, that would make you use their air in these times of chaos?

The next time I speak to an O rep, I will ask them to send me the advantages in an email. They cant just give our that information without it being in writing, although I have been given all kinds of information from Ambassadors and reps that then management says they will not honour. Nothing new here, right hand does not  know what the left is doing. 

8 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

You posted all the rules and regulations why no one should feel confident using O air.

No, I just posted the Terms and Conditions, you're the one that interpreted it that you shouldn't feel confident. I'm trying to help you, not fight with you. I don't think what you're asking for exists, but if you think it does feel free to post a link to it. 

Yes, there are some advantages to using Oceania's air, just not the ones you seem to think. 

• Like 4

OP:  I can tell you what the advantage of booking air with Viking Ocean last November in the Med was. Yeah, I know it's not Oceania Air, but I assume that Oceania Air has an emergency number you call if you have trouble in the airport.

I booked my air with Viking Ocean last November because of the airport problems that were occurring. It was my first time booking air with a cruise line.  As DH and I were boarding our flight in MIA, American cancelled the flight and others.  Hundreds of people lined up for the American desk, couldn't get through on the phone and internet was swamped!

We got on the long line to speak to the American desk.  Then I called the emergency air number that Viking Air gave me.  They had me rebooked in a few minutes!  So it was definitely worth it for me at that time. Everyone on that line was listening to my call and asking me who I was talking to to get rebooked. 

Another option, if you are flying business or have access to your airline's lounge, people at the desk there will help you without the crowds. At some lounges you can buy a day pass to enter.  I highly recommend doing it.  

For my upcoming Oceania cruise to the med this August, I booked United Business, so will have access to their Polaris Lounge if I run into trouble. 😃

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

No, I just posted the Terms and Conditions, you're the one that interpreted it that you shouldn't feel confident. I'm trying to help you, not fight with you. I don't think what you're asking for exists, but if you think it does feel free to post a link to it. 

Yes, there are some advantages to using Oceania's air, just not the ones you seem to think. 

So what are the advantages and where can I find them in print?

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

So what are the advantages and where can I find them in print?

Some advantages are;

Convenience, someone else taking care of the booking for you, good prices on one-way flights to Europe and other destinations. Included transfers from airport to ship and vice versa when flying in the day of cruise & departing on disembarkation day.  Good prices on Premium Economy. 

As far as finding them in print it's scattered throughout the marketing literature and the Oceania website.  Links have been posted to the Oceania website. Dig into it yourself, you might learn something. I also once again refer you to the Cruise Air section here on Cruise Critic. 

Oceania air will help you when things go sideways, but there is no guarantee that they can or will fix it. Once again it appears you want someone to produce something that doesn't exist. 

• Like 1

thank you for posting this....it is more than I can get booking my own air at this time...I would not hesitate to book my own air and have done so on most of my travels...it is only the chaos that has me spooked now....

there are those here that now because of the crazy covid world we live in, have stopped all air travel..I understand that...we are still doing all we can to travel....this latest chaos is making it very difficult....

when I posted the original topic, I had hoped to hear from those who are still trying to travel as we are....seems many have cancelled, they are writing to me directly rather than posting here....

anyway, thank you for your help....it is much appreciated.....

20 hours ago, jonthomas said:

My research  found that it will be at least 6 months till airlines and airports get back to some kind of normal....

so not much hope that November will be far away enough for that to happen....

As soon as our air with O will be available for choosing, we will see what they will offer us. Yes, they do try and give you options. We have been very happy with the options in the past. 

Has anyone recently talked  with O air  reps?. Did they accommodate you in light of the current chaos?

I noticed that no one has responded that they pay for their deviation. So all the comments made here about my, defensiveness, lack of calmness etc was made by people whose deviation is included. Easy to make those comments when you are not in the same shoes.

I still maintain that during this time, in order to make the ship, O should wave the deviation and we will book a hotel in order to come in 2 or 3 days ahead of time. Otherwise O may face having to get us to the next port. Surely that is more expensive and problematic for them. 

Has anyone had their deviation waved?

We do not qualify for a free deviation and have not had the deviation waved so my comments were from the "same shoes" as you....bad assumption on your part.  

If you search this forum you will find threads complaining about the lack of benefits using Oceania air for Business class, along with a cogent explanation of why Oceania doesn't really try to compete against some other cruise lines' air offerings.  That may help explain to you why Oceania isn't being flexible with your request that they waive the fees spelled out in their T&C.

• Like 1

Sorry Basor, easy to misinterpret here...

Host, not business class, too rich for my blood....

and not complaining, as I have said O is now our preferred line...

it is just that in these unprecedented chaotic times, I would like to think, cruise lines in general would do all they can to make it easier on themselves by encouraging patrons to go earlier. Nothing would encourage a cruiser to go earlier like waiving a deviation fee. 

I know O wont do it. I have written to Corporate giving them all the reasons why they should. They will respond by saying you are right and very wise but we wont do it because we are not as wise. lol....

Ill be lucky to even get a response. Not holding my breath. 

On 7/12/2022 at 10:30 AM, Mary229 said:

Don’t fly on holidays, don’t fly July and August particularly to Europe, go at least one day early and plan to stay one extra day.  Try not to fly on Sunday regardless. 

I would add have Global Entry, or at least TSA pre-check. If you have a connection be sure you have a generous amount of time between flights. If you are not traveling with carryon luggage only (I have not mastered that skill) be sure to pack items that it would be difficult to replace on arrival in your carryons.(We pack some shoes since we both have irregular shoe sizes.Also some underwear. Again, irregular sizes .) 

Most of our problems recently have been on return flights, so we pack our carryons with items that we would need for 1 or 2 days. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2022 at 11:45 PM, alcpa1 said:

Be proactive if you need to adjust your flight schedule. When you call (always best) have options ready to discuss with your agent. Have patience.

I couldn’t agree more with this.  I already have a list of options (including driving to airports 3 hours away) for alternate flights for our flight to SEA in a few weeks.  The more information you have, the better your results will be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tipsygirl said:

I would add have Global Entry, or at least TSA pre-check. If you have a connection be sure you have a generous amount of time between flights. If you are not traveling with carryon luggage only (I have not mastered that skill) be sure to pack items that it would be difficult to replace on arrival in your carryons.(We pack some shoes since we both have irregular shoe sizes.Also some underwear. Again, irregular sizes .) 

Most of our problems recently have been on return flights, so we pack our carryons with items that we would need for 1 or 2 days. 

TSA pre check is great.  HOWEVER, if you are returning from overseas you cannot use pre-check at any US airport to continue onward.  A good example is IAH.  American and United, and possibly other airlines, are routed through TSA at one very small TSA checkpoint.  There is NO TSA pre-check.  It does move quickly probably because TSA puts their more experienced agents there.  So, you have to do it the usual way: shoes off, liquids out, etc.  Also, however, Global Entry is worth every penny and you get TSA Pre-Check automatically.

9 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

TSA pre check is great.  HOWEVER, if you are returning from overseas you cannot use pre-check at any US airport to continue onward.  A good example is IAH.  American and United, and possibly other airlines, are routed through TSA at one very small TSA checkpoint.  There is NO TSA pre-check.  It does move quickly probably because TSA puts their more experienced agents there.  So, you have to do it the usual way: shoes off, liquids out, etc.  Also, however, Global Entry is worth every penny and you get TSA Pre-Check automatically.

That is not the case.  When you fly into a US Airport and are making a domestic connection, the usual procedure is to pass through Immigration and then you must retrieve your luggage (from the carrousel) and re-check it for your domestic flight.  The next step is that you must then go through a TSA security check.  Several International airports do have a separate line for those with "pre-check" similar to what you have when flying out of most domestic airports.   We have also had a situation where there was only a single long queue, but when the TSA employee checked our ID (and boarding pass) he would give us a "pre-check" card which got us through the security check without removing our shoes, laptop, etc.  But all this is hit/miss depending on the airport and how many TSA folks are working.  So while they may not have a separate line at IAH, they do at IAD :).

Hank

• Like 1

Just back from a cruise in the Med.  Flying home on American we were issued "Pre-Check" hard copy tickets for use in Philly (which is becoming American's east coast hub).  However, in Philly after rechecking bags the "Pre-check" line was closed.  I asked the TSA rep why since we pay for pre-check screening.  Answer:  "because its closed."  Second time this has happened at PHL.

All the whining about flying is truly amazing.  Its as if no one has even flown before.  Never been impacted by weather.  Its only a very tiny percentage of airline passengers who have been displaced.  Airlines are doing a good job getting passengers to destinations on time.  No doubt about it.  And, its simple logic that you fly in to an international destination a day or more early to make a cruise connection (or a business meeting or other scheduled event).  Have been flying internationally since prop-jobs across the Pond.  Weather, mechanicals, etc, all can impact air travel.  Don't complain - practice good travel protocols.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

All the whining about flying is truly amazing.  Its as if no one has even flown before.  Never been impacted by weather.  Its only a very tiny percentage of airline passengers who have been displaced.  Airlines are doing a good job getting passengers to destinations on time.  No doubt about it.  And, its simple logic that you fly in to an international destination a day or more early to make a cruise connection 

We are currently in transit for an international cruise, missed the first overseas flight due to delays (in spite of a 3 hour connection window), same overseas flight was sold out for the next day, but was open for the 3rd day getting us to the port on embarkment day.  No good options.  If we do this again, we will fly in at least 3 days in advance.  Flying in on same day is crazy, one day in advance still a big risk, two days if fine if everything works as it used to.  Three days to be more safe.

• Like 1

TSA pre check is great.  HOWEVER, if you are returning from overseas you cannot use pre-check at any US airport to continue onward.  A good example is IAH.  American and United, and possibly other airlines, are routed through TSA at one very small TSA checkpoint.  There is NO TSA pre-check. “

If you have TSA pre-check and are connecting from an int’l flight to a domestic flight and there is no pre-check option, you can exit, go up to ticketing level/area and go through a Pre-Check or Clear line there.  I do this at DTW and SEA (though Seattle has recently improved their int’l arrival area and it may be better now).  Saves time if the regular TSA line is long.