How is anyone managing the chaos of Air travel and getting to the ship on time?

jonthomas

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

yes that is why we are glad we opted for O air....at this uncertain time....

but you would think it would be better for them and for us to make sure we go early enough to allow for  flight cancellations...wearing rose colored glasses would make me think that all will be well as soon as summer travel is over....I just dont own a pair.....

They do allow you to fly in earlier   you just have to pay the deviation fee 😉

If you miss the flight/ship  they will do what they can to get you to the ship BUT  remember they have no control over the airlines  & if there are no flights out to the next port  or no seats  available  there is not much Oceania can do about  that

I agree with Orv  you are putting too much faith in what O can do for you  when things go pear shaped

Hopefully by the time of your cruise  things are better  in the world of travel

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It can be done

You just need to plan carefully & do laundry along the way or send it out  😉

Lots of accessories for basic switchable separates and lots of layers worn onto the plane (Canadians know all about layers, right? 😉 ); wear you bulky shoes and bring small slippers...it can be done! No formal nights make it easier. We do 3 carry-ons (1 checked) and 2 personal items which is traveling heavy for us (no cruise = no checked bags).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Lots of accessories for basic switchable separates and lots of layers worn onto the plane (Canadians know all about layers, right? 😉 ); wear you bulky shoes and bring small slippers...it can be done! No formal nights make it easier. We do 3 carry-ons (1 checked) and 2 personal items which is traveling heavy for us (no cruise = no checked bags).

After doing many motorcycle road trips  I DO know how to pack light 

Wash n wear,  mix & match

YMMV

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

After doing many motorcycle road trips  I DO know how to pack light 

Wash n wear,  mix & match

YMMV

Or as I like to say, "I could bring everything I wanted, but Daddy made me carry everything I wanted" (literally). Too many things get heavy after half a mile 😉

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:16 AM, jonthomas said:

With the ongoing chaos of Air travel, should cruise lines extend the amount of time before leaving port?

Are people finding that with cancelled air and delays, they are not making it onto the ship?

And what about all the luggage that never makes it onto the ship? 

Outside of making good on any cruise line arranged airline travel, we do not see why the cruise line should be held accountable for whether you reach the ship or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I should also start a new topic...how to go on a 15 day cruise with only carry on luggage...yup that is what our airport is recommending...

Much better than hijacking someone else's thread... 😉

For our May-June Oceania Sirena cruise from Istanbul to Southampton with an additional 5 days in Madrid we had no missing flights but issues with luggage. Not missing or delayed luggage but Miami airport issues. Even though we had arranged for a wheelchair for Kate to help with the distance from airbridge to our transportation home, there were only 2 wheelchairs for 7 passengers who reserved in advance. We were told Emirates had snagged them all!  After waiting 40 minutes we just gave up and walked. Hit the dreaded zig zag customs  lines that wheelchairs bypass. When we finally got to the carousel the luggage was just arriving. 
In that we had a lot of luggage for our 6 week vacation we looked for a porter. Guess what. Covid strikes again. Not fully staffed. None to be found. Fortunately all 6 bags had wheels so Kate would walk 30 paces ahead and wait while I shuttled them 2 by 2, never letting them out of site. After about 10 of these relays we got to the waiting car. 
I know this is nothing compared to lost luggage or missed connections but not being young anymore it’s great to travel on Oceania. Truly worth the hassles. But make sure your luggage has wheels. 

• Thanks 1

Well right from the horses mouth so to speak, we had flights booked for this morning to travel from Schiphol to Copenhagen before boarding our cruise ship on Saturday. 
We decided to change our flights to last night, canceled flights SAS and booked new ones with KLM. We paid $$$$$$ and one ended up in economy one in business (its not but just an empty seat in the middle). Changed parking, booked an extra night in hotel, added an extra carry on and made sure if we missed our cases we would survive.

We decided this way there would be more chance to arrive on time if there were cancellations/delays/strikes.!
Yesterday we went to the airport and it was total mayhem queues of people everywhere, we managed to get through (via business class) and spent some time relaxing in the Aspire lounge. Going to the plane there were piles of luggage everywhere, baggage carts full.

Flight was uneventful and in Copenhagen there were also piles of luggage/buggy’s everywhere, when I saw our cases on the baggage band I cheered and we were in our hotel in less than 1/2 hour.

There are plenty of horror stories on our roll call of cancelled flights, and missing luggage, many were on SAS as they fly directly from US to Copenhagen. 
How to avoid this I really don’t know, will it get better no idea but the stress this last week was no fun and I definitely want to avoid this sort of thing in future.

The foto is at Schiphol yesterday

Rosalyn

B65F9F6E-AD68-44ED-953D-C92137A551DC.jpeg

@cruiseaholic78 … Rosalyn, so happy to hear you made it to Copenhagen OK.  WE have upcoming trips that will take us up to Canada and after an Arctic expedition to Switzerland for a river cruise.  We gave ourselves 3 days before each cruise to get where we are going.  Hopefully this plan works.  Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Well I can only assume that there are very few people on CC, or very few travelling right now. So many screaming all over the world of the horrors of air travel right now, but no mention here...all is rosy and happy here. Not a single post of how someone has missed the cruise since so many flights are cancelled forcing travelers to spend countless nights and days at the airports waiting to be rebooked. 

I don't think we can make your assumption.

Those who scream tend to be ones with very negative situations. And they'll tend to get upset at the cause of the situation. So, if it an airline or airport, then that is the source, not the cruise line.

The smart traveler knows that if their cruise ship leaves on Monday, they might plan to arrive on Saturday. Or no later than Sunday. Those who push things to the limit of timing often get burned.

19 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Well I can only assume that there are very few people on CC, or very few travelling right now. 

So many screaming all over the world of the horrors of air travel right now, but no mention here...all is rosy and happy here. Not a  single post of how someone has missed the cruise since so many flights are cancelled forcing travelers to spend countless nights and days at the airports waiting to be rebooked. 

Someone might even mention that I should post evidence if this. Just read the news. 

Has anyone spoken to cruise line reps to see what cruise lines are doing about ensuring their passengers get onto the ship? I havent since our cruise is in November, but surely there are those who are cruising now or about to be cruising. 

I guess I really have my answer, there is no interest in this topic and no one is having any issues. All is well and all are happy, 

Think of it as a venn diagram.  90% of people flying to Europe have no issues (other than longer lines), some small percentage of people flying to Europe are taking a cruise <5%, and then 5% of people who take cruises are on Cruise Critic.  That means only those people in the intersection of these three circles would post here.  In other words, not many. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Outside of making good on any cruise line arranged airline travel, we do not see why the cruise line should be held accountable for whether you reach the ship or not.

We are using Os air...they will advise us as to what is the best course of action. Since they are doing the advising, that puts the accountability on them. Seems simple to me. If they feel we should go in 3 days earlier, then they should wave the deviation fee. 

15 hours ago, ChadnKate said:

For our May-June Oceania Sirena cruise from Istanbul to Southampton with an additional 5 days in Madrid we had no missing flights but issues with luggage. Not missing or delayed luggage but Miami airport issues. Even though we had arranged for a wheelchair for Kate to help with the distance from airbridge to our transportation home, there were only 2 wheelchairs for 7 passengers who reserved in advance. We were told Emirates had snagged them all!  After waiting 40 minutes we just gave up and walked. Hit the dreaded zig zag customs  lines that wheelchairs bypass. When we finally got to the carousel the luggage was just arriving. 
In that we had a lot of luggage for our 6 week vacation we looked for a porter. Guess what. Covid strikes again. Not fully staffed. None to be found. Fortunately all 6 bags had wheels so Kate would walk 30 paces ahead and wait while I shuttled them 2 by 2, never letting them out of site. After about 10 of these relays we got to the waiting car. 
I know this is nothing compared to lost luggage or missed connections but not being young anymore it’s great to travel on Oceania. Truly worth the hassles. But make sure your luggage has wheels. 

I think May/June things were still ok...they certainly were ok when we travelled in March...

3 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We are using Os air...they will advise us as to what is the best course of action. Since they are doing the advising, that puts the accountability on them. Seems simple to me. If they feel we should go in 3 days earlier, then they should wave the deviation fee. 

When is your cruise?

12 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Well right from the horses mouth so to speak, we had flights booked for this morning to travel from Schiphol to Copenhagen before boarding our cruise ship on Saturday. 
We decided to change our flights to last night, canceled flights SAS and booked new ones with KLM. We paid $$$$$$ and one ended up in economy one in business (its not but just an empty seat in the middle). Changed parking, booked an extra night in hotel, added an extra carry on and made sure if we missed our cases we would survive.

We decided this way there would be more chance to arrive on time if there were cancellations/delays/strikes.!
Yesterday we went to the airport and it was total mayhem queues of people everywhere, we managed to get through (via business class) and spent some time relaxing in the Aspire lounge. Going to the plane there were piles of luggage everywhere, baggage carts full.

Flight was uneventful and in Copenhagen there were also piles of luggage/buggy’s everywhere, when I saw our cases on the baggage band I cheered and we were in our hotel in less than 1/2 hour.

There are plenty of horror stories on our roll call of cancelled flights, and missing luggage, many were on SAS as they fly directly from US to Copenhagen. 
How to avoid this I really don’t know, will it get better no idea but the stress this last week was no fun and I definitely want to avoid this sort of thing in future.

The foto is at Schiphol yesterday

Rosalyn

B65F9F6E-AD68-44ED-953D-C92137A551DC.jpeg

Thank you for posting this. Some here will say it is way overblown by media.  And some will say you are making this all up. 

3 hours ago, KS&amp;JW said:

Think of it as a venn diagram.  90% of people flying to Europe have no issues (other than longer lines), some small percentage of people flying to Europe are taking a cruise <5%, and then 5% of people who take cruises are on Cruise Critic.  That means only those people in the intersection of these three circles would post here.  In other words, not many. 

Where are you getting your statistics from and if just off the top of your head, then I can just as easily say, 90% of the people flying to Europe right now have huge issues. In other words, way too many. Mine is probably closer to the mark.

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

When is your cruise?

Cruise is in November and hope by then most of these issues are cleared up. But no one can say to me in October, why didnt you raise this issue much sooner. But probably some will, just the nature of the beast.

We are scheduled to fly to Miami on December 24th for our December 28th cruise. If our flight is cancelled, I have reserve a rental car and we will drive from Seattle to Miami to get on our cruise. I am hoping that 4 days of cushion allows us to fly to Miami.

I really don't want to drive that distance in 4 days during the winter. We could do it, but I don't want to.

Pack a couple of changes of clothing in your carry-ons. And for goodness sake, pack all prescription meds in your carry-ons!!

1 hour ago, halfapair said:

We are scheduled to fly to Miami on December 24th for our December 28th cruise. If our flight is cancelled, I have reserve a rental car and we will drive from Seattle to Miami to get on our cruise. I am hoping that 4 days of cushion allows us to fly to Miami.

I really don't want to drive that distance in 4 days during the winter. We could do it, but I don't want to.

Pack a couple of changes of clothing in your carry-ons. And for goodness sake, pack all prescription meds in your carry-ons!!

Good plan and good advice.