Princess Plus question

Samkitty1

Hello, 

I have a Princess Plus question..Do all adults in the cabin need to purchase Princess plus?

We are booked on the Regal British Isles in the spring.  The fine print on the website does not specify

Thanks

1 hour ago, Sunset329 said:

If I book a room at the basic rate without Princess Plus package, can I purchase a drink package for one person when I board the ship?

IIRC correctly yes.

But do the maths. The drinks package is expensive. As princess plus includes autogratuities,  you will need to factor those into your costing,  plus the fact that your companion may want specialty drinks, mocktails etc. Wifi may or may  not be of value to you, but again, if you buy it,  it is an additional cost. 

So it may be that an individual drinks package,  plus autotips, plus drinks for your companion plus possible wifi usage will be more expensive than two PP packages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If they sold the package to only 1 person in a cabin I'd venture to say they wouldn't sell near as many packages since most people never come near the 15 drink max allotment. 

Why reference the 15 drinks? I think the fact that both have to purchase is factored into Plus pricing. Don't see where 15 drinks is a factor. Just trying to follow your logic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Why reference the 15 drinks? I think the fact that both have to purchase is factored into Plus pricing. Don't see where 15 drinks is a factor. Just trying to follow your logic.

I believe they are saying that people would share the 15 drinks if only one could get Princess Plus

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

I believe they are saying that people would share the 15 drinks if only one could get Princess Plus

True. Many people can't justify the package when they only drink 3 or 4 drinks daily. 

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

True. Many people can't justify the package when they only drink 3 or 4 drinks daily. 

Once the tips and WiFi are added in, you only need about 3 drinks to break even with purchasing the plus package.  But, the plus package also allows for unlimited specialty coffees, sodas, waters, mock tails,  etc. 

But, I understand your point.  It is hard to justify if you don’t drink any alcohol or use WiFi.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Once the tips and WiFi are added in, you only need about 3 drinks to break even with purchasing the plus package.  But, the plus package also allows for unlimited specialty coffees, sodas, waters, mock tails,  etc. 

But, I understand your point.  It is hard to justify if you don’t drink any alcohol or use WiFi.  

Besides the actual cost of 3 drinks, coffees etc., there is an 18% service charge on each you don't pay, it is covered as well with the package.    Worth it.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just chatting, not arguing, I think there are a couple of factors in play. 3 -4 drinks plus gratuities just about breaks even. Forcing both pax to take package makes it even more viable for Princess AND eliminates sharing. The 15 drink total is not a factor in this dynamic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

I've seen you post that before and still don't quite believe it. But if it's true, than they surly must have lost money (or at least broke even with my husband & myself last cruise). 🤩 Between practically reaching the max of 15 drinks almost every day , we both ordered cappuccino's & so many waters  I lost count. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Just chatting, not arguing, I think there are a couple of factors in play. 3 -4 drinks plus gratuities just about breaks even. Forcing both pax to take package makes it even more viable for Princess AND eliminates sharing. The 15 drink total is not a factor in this dynamic. 

Well, not completely, but it does put a cap on it for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

I've seen you post that before and still don't quite believe it. But if it's true, than they surly must have lost money (or at least broke even with my husband & myself last cruise). 🤩 Between practically reaching the max of 15 drinks almost every day , we both ordered cappuccino's & so many waters  I lost count. 

Don't forget that every drink costs Princess less than $1, so even at 15 drinks per day they still make a profit.

• Like 3

I had the drink package for 25 days.  I was in a suite with 4 mini-bars and water daily.  I rarely ordered more than 3 drinks a day.  My steward and dining staff got most of the mini-bar contents.  

In my opinion, it was worth getting Princess Plus.  It was not a port intensive b2b cruise.  I loved the option to try different drinks (mostly virgins/not a drinker).  The best I can say for it is that I didn’t have to be concerned about my onboard account (that had OBC).  

i will be doing it again, but also have bookings that will not include PP.  Variety is the spice of life.  Nice to have options. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

When I booked my 10 day cruise last Feb, it was $500 more for plus pkg. Deduct $145 for Crew Appreciation, $99.20 for WiFi, that leaves $255.80 for the drinks, divided by 10 days, comes out to $25.58 pd for all my drinks, coffee, soda, etc per day. That's a steal!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I think I’ve posted that you only needed two drinks to break even in the past … but a month or so back, they raises the price to $50 a day pp.  We are trying the premier package on a couple of our shorter upcoming cruises.  It will be a good way to try out the new offerings.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Don't forget that every drink costs Princess less than $1, so even at 15 drinks per day they still make a profit.

That may be true with some of the mixed drinks but not for wines.  Even at wholesale, I think many of the wines we’ve had onboard are more like a cost of $5 to $10 a drink. Of course, we pay the upcharge for those but not $5 to-$10 .. more like $3- $6.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

When I booked my 10 day cruise last Feb, it was $500 more for plus pkg. Deduct $145 for Crew Appreciation, $99.20 for WiFi, that leaves $255.80 for the drinks, divided by 10 days, comes out to $25.58 pd for all my drinks, coffee, soda, etc per day. That's a steal!

When you break it down like that, it sounds better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Splitting hairs here...if you are elite, wi-fi will only cost you $5 a day (the other $5 is returned as useless non-refundable OBC).

But as I mentioned, I do it on non-port intensive cruises so that I don't have to worry about being nickeled and dimed.  I understand that there are some cruisers who carefully need to watch their cruise budget.  I only have to pay for myself (cabin mate pays for their own fare).  My cutbacks are on other things in life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

That may be true with some of the mixed drinks but not for wines.  Even at wholesale, I think many of the wines we’ve had onboard are more like a cost of $5 to $10 a drink. Of course, we pay the upcharge for those but not $5 to-$10 .. more like $3- $6.  

It is always difficult to make a direct comparison,  but most of the wines in Vines are from bottles that would cost around $6 or $7 retail.  Obviously Princess buy in bulk, and pay no tax, so the nett cost will be no more than $4. Six glasses of wine from a bottle = 70c (roughly) a glass. 

So even on wine Princess make a profit. 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

LOL, did you float off the boat?  15 per day is hard to achieve.  

I know we had 2 drinks at lunch, 2 at dinner, 2 wines, 2 special coffees, plus 1 water daily each.   Maybe another cocktail between, still only 10 drinks.    I would be hard pressed to reach 15. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pris993 said:

LOL, did you float off the boat?  15 per day is hard to achieve.  

I know we had 2 drinks at lunch, 2 at dinner, 2 wines, 2 special coffees, plus 1 water daily each.   Maybe another cocktail between, still only 10 drinks.    I would be hard pressed to reach 15. 

Well, on a port day, two beers before lunch,  two wines with lunch, a beer around 16:00, followed by a couple of glasses of wine. Back to cabin to get ready for dinner,  with a glass of wine from room service. 

Vines,  couple of glasses of wine,  then the same for dinner,  and a couple more as a nightcap.

So 14 - pretty easy really! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, on a port day, two beers before lunch,  two wines with lunch, a beer around 16:00, followed by a couple of glasses of wine. Back to cabin to get ready for dinner,  with a glass of wine from room service. 

Vines,  couple of glasses of wine,  then the same for dinner,  and a couple more as a nightcap.

So 14 - pretty easy really! 

Good for you.   More power to you.   I was drinking martinis at lunch and dinner, plus... so guess that explains the difference.  It is all good.  By the way, the martinis are not that strong, maybe I could drink a couple of more.  We will see.