Reporting Smoking

JFontaine

By the way, to the original poster, if you were traveling alone and the other party made you feel uncomfortable, Celebrity has some major liability. They never should have let the other party know you or your suite was the origination of the complaint. 

• Like 19

A few separate issues here…

The OP not fully following up on board as she clearly felt intimidated by the smoking guests and was concerned that following up further could make the situation worse. No one in any cabin should feel like this. If any problem is ongoing you should feel confident that Celebrity will do everything necessary to resolve. The snag with not taking it further at the time, however, is that management can assume there is no longer an issue…

The fact she has now posted on CC expresses it is still on her mind. Incidents like this do ‘shake confidence’.

How her complaint was handled. If a smoker is reported in a cabin then staff should be alerted to be extra observant, not just at the time but throughout the cruise. If a second complaint comes in they should have someone there asap. As others have said, because of the significant fire risk as well as the discomfort of fellow cruisers. Re the cabin steward in the suspected cabin… what a difficult position for him…Firstly the smokers may be good at hiding evidence but secondly he risks his tip and a poor report if he voices ‘suspicions’. I wonder if security asked other cabins in the vicinity if they had experienced any smoke issues (obviously without indicating the suspected cabin)?  I would think that would be a reasonable level of response with the suggestion of frequent smoking and smoking other than cigarettes…In the OPs position, perhaps a call to the Suite Manager may have resulted in a better response…

Whilst taking things further on board would/could possibly have resulted in the offensive guests getting their comeuppance I totally understand why the OP didn’t take it further. I can only agree with others that now you are home, OP, you should report the facts to the executive for the benefit of improving protocols for future cruisers.

OP my main concern is for you…what should have been a wonderful relaxing break has clearly left you shaken. From the number of posts you have made you are obviously a seasoned cruiser. Try to focus on all those previous cruises where the only guests you have met are nice ones…Report your experiences and try to put this experience behind you…

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Not an either or situation.  I think the point is being missed.  Smoking on a ship, of any kind is against the rules for the pleasure and safety of other passengers.  If smoking is important to you, choose another vacation.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, chemmo said:

A few separate issues here…

The OP not fully following up on board as she clearly felt intimidated by the smoking guests and was concerned that following up further could make the situation worse. No one in any cabin should feel like this. If any problem is ongoing you should feel confident that Celebrity will do everything necessary to resolve. The snag with not taking it further at the time, however, is that management can assume there is no longer an issue…

The fact she has now posted on CC expresses it is still on her mind. Incidents like this do ‘shake confidence’.

How her complaint was handled. If a smoker is reported in a cabin then staff should be alerted to be extra observant, not just at the time but throughout the cruise. If a second complaint comes in they should have someone there asap. As others have said, because of the significant fire risk as well as the discomfort of fellow cruisers. Re the cabin steward in the suspected cabin… what a difficult position for him…Firstly the smokers may be good at hiding evidence but secondly he risks his tip and a poor report if he voices ‘suspicions’. I wonder if security asked other cabins in the vicinity if they had experienced any smoke issues (obviously without indicating the suspected cabin)?  I would think that would be a reasonable level of response with the suggestion of frequent smoking and smoking other than cigarettes…In the OPs position, perhaps a call to the Suite Manager may have resulted in a better response…

Whilst taking things further on board would/could possibly have resulted in the offensive guests getting their comeuppance I totally understand why the OP didn’t take it further. I can only agree with others that now you are home, OP, you should report the facts to the executive for the benefit of improving protocols for future cruisers.

OP my main concern is for you…what should have been a wonderful relaxing break has clearly left you shaken. From the number of posts you have made you are obviously a seasoned cruiser. Try to focus on all those previous cruises where the only guests you have met are nice ones…Report your experiences and try to put this experience behind you…

Couldn't agree more.  Well said. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

There’s been numerous posts about staff not properly responding to smoking complaints. My experience is the opposite. But I was able to identify the specific SR and security took immediate action. The idiot stepped out and leaned over his balcony smoking. I smelled it, saw him, took a photo and called, and within 20min they were there. He denied but a bit hard when I showed the staff a photo of him standing there with his cig when they reported to me. 

I’ve fought ship fires. Thy killed me shipmates than combat. Just picture yourself in a hotel that is locked up and no getting out and a fire breaks out. 

Den 

Unfortunately for the majority of the non-suite balconies, it's near impossible to get photo as there isn't a clear line of sight

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Sure it does, as far as the passenger is concerned,  who doesn't find, read or care about the rules.  It doesn't have to be permitted for it to happen. Similar to the people who bring aboard irons, knives etc. despite the rules. 

And some get busted! I didn't say some won't attempt to smuggle marijuana onboard. Some do get away with it.  I was clearly pointing out it is prohibited on any Celerity ship no matter where it embarks. Doesn't matter if it's part of their lives. I could care less who smokes what. But on their balcony and we smell the stench I'll guarantee you I will be a huge PITA with Celebrity until the violators where made to stop. I didn't pay for a smoking balcony and no one else has either. Also I would have filed a complaint with Celebrity that they according to you advised the offenders who filed a complaint against them. Solo cruiser or not. How would the offenders even know that. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Here's the photo that explains why there's no smoking on balconies.  Period.

The blackened outside of the Star Princess shows that the fire covered several floors of the cruise ship.

Is this the Princess ship?  If so we were anchored right next to it in Grand Cayman on Century during the day where it caught fire after we left.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Is this the Princess ship?  If so we were anchored right next to it in Grand Cayman on Century during the day where it caught fire after we left.

Yes, the Star Princess.  It caused every cruise line to ban smoking on balconies.  That's a "ban," not a suggestion.  BTW, a person died in that fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

Yes, the Star Princess.  It caused every cruise line to ban smoking on balconies.  That's a "ban," not a suggestion.  BTW, a person died in that fire.

Hubby is a retired fire investigator. The vast majority of  fires he investigated involving deaths were caused by smoking. The rest were candles. 

His final fire death was a 12 year-old girl, trapped in her home and screaming via 911 for help until she was overcome. Hubby heard it all. Mom's boyfriend didn't properly dispose of his cigarette.

Banning smoking on balconies is fine by us. So is reporting it for the safety of eveyone onboard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Sure it does, as far as the passenger is concerned,  who doesn't find, read or care about the rules.  It doesn't have to be permitted for it to happen. Similar to the people who bring aboard irons, knives etc. despite the rules. 

An iron gets confiscated...but drugs... even weed can get you kicked off the ship and arrested... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I respect smokers as long as they smoke in the "designated" smoking areas; a balcony is not one of them.  And in those instances, the smokers are the ones being disrespectful.  I guarantee I will continue to report balcony smokers, vociferously and often.  It's a safety issue.

My apologies a smile has come up against your post it was supposed to be an agree…

• Like 4

This post was very disturbing.  The (apparent) lack of ability or desire of Celebrity to stop the smokers is bad enough.  To have someone throwing garbage on to your balcony?!?!!!  Totally unacceptable.  I am shocked beyond belief with how the OP says Celebrity did (or didn't) handle this!   I shouldn't chastise the victim here, but I have to say had it been me I would have never accepted Celebrity's handling of this.  Traveling alone or not I would have kept moving up the ladder to anyone who would listen.  Keep in mind there are cameras all over the ship, and if not the smoking for sure they should have been able to document someone throwing garbage onto a balcony!  And even if you can't take a photo of the actual smoking, you can certainly record the things they were saying on your cell phone.  It is also a fire hazard and against the rules to throw anything overboard (and I think onto another person's balcony qualifies).  

We had a smoking situation in the cabin next to us on a recent cruise.  Fortunately they were dumb enough to leave cigarette butts on their balcony table.  They were warned once.  Still did it.  Second warning in writing and the security person told us they were told that if they did it again they would be disembarked at the next port and banned from Celebrity.  It stopped then.  I think that is more in line with how Celebrity usually handles it.  Smoking in the cabin is harder to prove I think (unless the odor is excessive), but on a balcony cameras should be catching it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This post was very disturbing.  The (apparent) lack of ability or desire of Celebrity to stop the smokers is bad enough.  To have someone throwing garbage on to your balcony?!?!!!  Totally unacceptable.  I am shocked beyond belief with how the OP says Celebrity did (or didn't) handle this!   I shouldn't chastise the victim here, but I have to say had it been me I would have never accepted Celebrity's handling of this.  Traveling alone or not I would have kept moving up the ladder to anyone who would listen.  Keep in mind there are cameras all over the ship, and if not the smoking for sure they should have been able to document someone throwing garbage onto a balcony!  And even if you can't take a photo of the actual smoking, you can certainly record the things they were saying on your cell phone.  It is also a fire hazard and against the rules to throw anything overboard (and I think onto another person's balcony qualifies).  

We had a smoking situation in the cabin next to us on a recent cruise.  Fortunately they were dumb enough to leave cigarette butts on their balcony table.  They were warned once.  Still did it.  Second warning in writing and the security person told us they were told that if they did it again they would be disembarked at the next port and banned from Celebrity.  It stopped then.  I think that is more in line with how Celebrity usually handles it.  Smoking in the cabin is harder to prove I think (unless the odor is excessive), but on a balcony cameras should be catching it.  

I've spoke with Carnival customer service concerning cameras showing a balcony. It is against 

the law for privacy to use them.

1 hour ago, kearney said:

An iron gets confiscated...but drugs... even weed can get you kicked off the ship and arrested... 

When you are getting off the ship, there will be several tables of items confiscated.  I saw irons, knives, swords, handcuffs, weapons, etc.  I would be more worried about those items  on a ship.  People to smoke weed on the ship but most do it discreetly.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dthomas1 said:

No, It's against the law for privacy concerns.

I don't know if that's completely true.  In the cabins, yes, but on balconies I don't think it's against the law.  And what law would that be?  They are not subject to US laws for example.  The cameras don't zero in on the individual balconies - perhaps that is not legal.  But my understanding is that they do scan along the sides of the ship.  Don't they use them for investigation of person overboard situations and the like?  If that is the case, then they would certainly be able to capture someone leaning over the railing and dropping garbage.  

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I find it sad that these passengers get a verbal warning, followed by a written warning before any attempt is made to disembark them when they knew the rules on boarding the ship. Why do these selfish people get so many warnings before action is possibly taken. No wonder they continue to flaunt the rules. Frustrating for sure 🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, keesar said:

When you are getting off the ship, there will be several tables of items confiscated.  I saw irons, knives, swords, handcuffs, weapons, etc.  I would be more worried about those items  on a ship.  People to smoke weed on the ship but most do it discreetly.

Discreetly...🤣😂

Edited by davekathy

I agree that "traditional" cigarettes should not be allowed on anywhere but the smoking areas because of fire risk and others. What are everyone's thoughts on vaping? There is no fire, just vape (like a fog) and is usually smelling like fruit or some kind of air freshener. I am not sure I agree that vaping should not be allowed on a balcony or open air area.

6 minutes ago, samplecd02 said:

I agree that "traditional" cigarettes should not be allowed on anywhere but the smoking areas because of fire risk and others. What are everyone's thoughts on vaping? There is no fire, just vape (like a fog) and is usually smelling like fruit or some kind of air freshener. I am not sure I agree that vaping should not be allowed on a balcony or open air area.

Smoking areas only. Including cigars and pipes. 

16 minutes ago, samplecd02 said:

Given the lack of regulation and potential carcinogens, I want to know where such vapors exist so I can exert some control over my own exposure, so I agree with davekathy:

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Smoking areas only. Including cigars and pipes. 

• Like 2