Seeking Help from Experienced MSC Cruisers Regarding Yacht Club Deposit Refund...MSC Says I'M OUT OF LUCK!

Georgia_Peaches

Hello all,

I have never sailed MSC but decided to book an October, 2022 seven nighter on Seashore in the Yacht Club.  We usually sail on NCL or Celebrity but MSC's Yacht Club rooms were going for less than the others so we decided to give them a try.  Shortly after placing a $398 deposit on the October cruise we learned that the dates will conflict with the estimated due date of our grandchild.  So, I booked the same ship and itinerary but for August, 2022 instead and asked my TA to cancel the October cruise.  She has been on the phone with them on and off for most of the day.  They will cancel the October cruise but will not refund the deposit.  The rep said that there is an "understanding" that Yacht Club rooms are non-refundable.  Sadly, I did not have that understanding since there was no disclosure on the booking that indicated the deposit was non-refundable....that I saw, anyway.

Edit to clarify:  I booked via my TA website, not directly with MSC.  Should the non-refundable part have been visible on the TA's site?

My questions:

1.  Is anyone aware of fine print that says these categories are non-refundable?  Apparently, I missed it.

2.  Do I have any recourse as a consumer?  Mind you, I've already paid for the August booking in full so they have my business...this time...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Did you receive an invoice from MSC?  We did and this was part of the invoice.  This was not Yacht Club, but I would think it was be similar.

DEPOSIT AND FINAL PAYMENT SCHEDULE
· Deposit Amount: 500.00
· Deposit Due Date: 08 APR 2022
· Final Payment Due Date: 25 JUN 2022
These deposits are non-refundable and a change fee of $100 USD per guest will apply for ship or sail date changes. The balance due must be paid in full by the final
payment due date of 25 JUN 2022 to prevent the booking from cancelling. Balance and payments may not reflect transactions made within the past 48 hours.
To facilitate the crew recognition process, a $14.50 USD gratuity ($17.50 USD for Suite guests) is added to each guest’s SeaPass account daily. This gratuity is shared
amongst the dining, bar and culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams.
CANCELLATION SCHEDULE
Cancellation Amount Date
Prior to Final Payment Due Date No Charge (except for Non-Refundable Deposit amounts)
89 to 75 Days Prior to Sailing
74 to 61 Days Prior to Sailing
60 to 31 Days Prior to Sailing
30 to 0 Days Prior to Sailing
25% Per Guest
50% Per Guest
75% Per Guest
100% Per Guest
26 JUN 2022
11 JUL 2022
25 JUL 2022
24 AUG 2022

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Did you receive an invoice from MSC?  We did and this was part of the invoice.  This was not Yacht Club, but I would think it was be similar.

No invoice from MSC but I do have one from my TA.  The TA's disclaimer is that "I agree to all the booking rules & regs set by the cruise line."  My TA has since sent me a copy of the timeline you posted from MSC.  It is a little different for Yacht Club in that the deposit is not refundable....which I now know.

But, I just learned that because I have status matched using my Celebrity points to their Gold tier, they have applied a 5% discount to the cruise fare in the form of OBC to my account.  It's not the $398 that I paid but it's something and leaves a little less bitter taste in my mouth.  

My mistake...but lesson learned.

I haven't tried it myself but aren't Yacht Club bookings given 1 free cruise change? 

I don't know what was in place when you booked or if this August is too soon. 

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise/msc-yacht-club

(under Inclusions)

• 1 free cruise change

* The free cruise change is applicable either on the cruise dates or on the destination. Such change needs to be performed up to 1 month before departure, for a new cruise to sail within 3 months from the original departure. Any cruise change shall be requested through our contact center.

In other words, were you given the opportunity to move the October cruise to August or does MSC see it as you booked 2 cruises and want to cancel the 2nd one?

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Yes that’s what I am finding on the UK site under Flexible or Stress Free Booking  for cruises booked by although our T&Cs are different.Book by 31st July and 1 free change up to March 31st 2023

Edited by emmas gran
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I haven't tried it myself but aren't Yacht Club bookings given 1 free cruise change? 

I don't know what was in place when you booked or if this August is too soon. 

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/cruise/msc-yacht-club

(under Inclusions)

• 1 free cruise change

* The free cruise change is applicable either on the cruise dates or on the destination. Such change needs to be performed up to 1 month before departure, for a new cruise to sail within 3 months from the original departure. Any cruise change shall be requested through our contact center.

In other words, were you given the opportunity to move the October cruise to August or does MSC see it as you booked 2 cruises and want to cancel the 2nd one?

They see it as two bookings.  I had a hold on the August cruise that was set to expire so I made the payment.  I shouldn't have done that.  They could have done the 1 free cruise change but since they see it as two separate bookings, that provision doesn't apply.  Jeezzz, you'd think I was a rookie at this...Just out of practice, I guess.

1 hour ago, jcathers1 said:

I believe the T&Cs say that YC deposits are non-refundable, but dates can be changed.

Yes, they do!  I should have read more carefully on their website but since I booked via a TA site, I didn't look.  That's on me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paphillyguy said:

This to me is on the TA since they should have made you aware of it.  

Yeah, I kinda think that too but I've read sooo many threads like these over the years, I should have known better.  Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future.  Especially now that so many people are getting back into cruising after being gone for a while.  I was attracted to MSC because their prices are quite a bit lower than my usual go to's.  My TA is offering me additional OBC to make up for it so between that and the 5% discount from the cruise fare (also in the form of OBC) I feel like I've been made whole again.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Had a couple of changes. TA has always been able transfer our nonrefundable $398 deposits to future new bookings. No $100 change fee like Celebrity. 
 P.S. Also our TA gives us about 5%obc.Many have posted they get 10% from theirs.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, there are too many passengers who do not do their research before booking a cruise on any cruise line but assume that a TA is obliged to tell them the information that  should have been researched before booking.

For anyone booking an MSC cruise, here is the information readily available on the US website:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/us/documents/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-050122.pdf

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Unfortunately, there are too many passengers who do not do their research before booking a cruise on any cruise line but assume that a TA is obliged to tell them the information that  should have been researched before booking.

For anyone booking an MSC cruise, here is the information readily available on the US website:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/us/documents/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-050122.pdf

The point of using a TA is that the TA is supposed to do the work for you.  Unfortunately many don't, which is why I don't use TAs.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My TA is offering me additional OBC to make up for it so between that and the 5% discount from the cruise fare (also in the form of OBC) I feel like I've been made whole again.

I'm glad that you reached a solution that you are happy with. 

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future. 

It should. 

If you were in the same situation again, you would have moved the original booking to August and all would have been well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KIMMER322 said:

Should be applied to your new booking if you're in the US.

I believe It needs to be ‘cruise move’.  The deposit is not transferred to a new booking.  A cruise move retains the original booking number. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

The point of using a TA is that the TA is supposed to do the work for you.  Unfortunately many don't, which is why I don't use TAs.

Oh, please.... We already had a similar conversation where you expressed displeasure at the idea of doing the research of reading twenty five pages of information before booking an MSC cruise that would have prevented you from making a similar mistake

59 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Oh, please.... We already had a similar conversation where you expressed displeasure at the idea of doing the research of reading twenty five pages of information before booking an MSC cruise that would have prevented you from making a similar mistake

Oh please.....going on a vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not a research project.  Most people don't have the time.  The TA gets paid a commission for something.  It's his job.

FYI...I wasn't "making a mistake".  I was trying to change cabins 10 months before final payment.  Only MSC makes it complex.  And I did get my refund within 2 weeks; booked the new cabin and had substantial (a relative term) savings!

15 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Oh please.....going on a vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing, not a research project.  Most people don't have the time.  The TA gets paid a commission for something.  It's his job.

I can't see how it can be the TAs job to mention everything. Maybe it's not good just to assume that the deposit is refundable?

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I can't see how it can be the TAs job to mention everything. Maybe it's not good just to assume that the deposit is refundable?

Nobody said to assume a deposit is refundable....I always ask before I give money.

What exactly is the TA being paid for if not to inform the client of the basics?  Personally, I don't use TA's because it's easier for me to deal directly with the cruiseline.  I've ended up "losing" more because the TA didn't do things in a timely manner.

Anyway, in this case the TA is compensating the client....which is paramount to admitting he was lax in his duties.

42 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Nobody said to assume a deposit is refundable....I always ask before I give money.

What exactly is the TA being paid for if not to inform the client of the basics?  Personally, I don't use TA's because it's easier for me to deal directly with the cruiseline.  I've ended up "losing" more because the TA didn't do things in a timely manner.

Anyway, in this case the TA is compensating the client....which is paramount to admitting he was lax in his duties.

Like you, I took the additional OBC from my TA as an "oopsie, I probably should have mentioned the deposit was nonrefundable before booking...let me throw in some OBC to keep this long time client..."

Ultimately, I agree with everyone who have said that doing homework first is paramount. For me, this is part of the cruise planning fun.  I'm just out of practice. 🙃 But I also understand why you would completely cut out the middle man (TA).  I typically book direct as well when planning vacays on land but always use this particular TA for cruising because of their exorbitant OBC offerings...which are refundable.   For example, my original booking gave an $875 refundable OBC.  Now it's up to $1000 with the additional kick in.  This brings the cost of my cruise down significantly...assuming we don't use any of it while on board.

Just verify once onboard.  I've read a few posts where people were told by their TA that OBC was refundable, only to find out once onboard that they had to use it or lose it.

We've been told our OBC is also refundable, but I'm going to make sure I check!

7 minutes ago, mafig said:

Just verify once onboard.  I've read a few posts where people were told by their TA that OBC was refundable, only to find out once onboard that they had to use it or lose it.

We've been told our OBC is also refundable, but I'm going to make sure I check!

Excellent point!  I will also add that if you have a combination of refundable/nonrefundable OBC, make sure your expenses are first applied to the nonrefundable part.

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I try to avoid nonrefundable deposits because things come up that sometimes warrant a change of plans.  I once booked a NFD on Celebrity but I knew what I was getting into because it was clearly marked on the price list.  I definitely assumed that because it didn't say nonrefundable, that it was refundable.  I won't do that again...lol.