Stars at Sea...the real stars

On 7/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, CPT Trips said:

One clear night on a small, <100 pax, ship several of us were enjoying a drink on the upper deck. The hotel director came up to see if there was anything we needed and “shoot the bull.” We were talking about how great the stars were even with the lights when he said that he might be able to arrange a special treat as he headed off.

A few minutes later he returned with the captain told us to put a hand on the railing so we didn’t get disoriented and the deck went dark. The captain gave us a great astronomy lesson. Just spectacular!

What a wonderful opportunity! I keep looking at those small ships/boats, kind of like the Windjammers. I think doing that would be cool and they're able to anchor in such far away places that the light pollution may not be terrible. 

On 7/16/2022 at 3:10 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Our feeling is that being on a cruise is to enjoy as much as possible and not for sleeping .We were out till 1AM ,went to bed close to 2 AM and would get up at 6 AM

When I was younger (25'ish) I felt that sleep was for the dead. Then I hit 35 and suddenly loved sleeping. While I could do what you do, I feel that I would be extremely cranky and not a nice person to be around. 

I cruise to relax which is why I always get the thermal spa. Those loungers and pools are perfect. I'm not into the activities on board - maybe my next cruise I'll see some live music, but nothing more than that.

Hey - that's why cruise ships have it all though. For you and for I!!

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

My oldest son graduated from Utica College (now University, I believe) and another son attended before settling in Hoffmeister. 

You are right - it's university now. My office is less than a mile from campus. I live south of there surrounded by state land, so not quite as urban as Utica is. Being from VT, I suppose you would call Utica urban haha....I did love my four years living in your beautiful state and attending Norwich University for my masters later on. Never made it to Enosburg Falls, but I did spend quite a lot of time in Eden. Can you believe people there still don't have running water and electricity (well some people). I understand it's by choice, but I don't think I'd want to make that choice. 

Usually there is a platform on one of the upper decks best for viewing, ask your cruise line once onboard.  Before leaving home download the SkyView Lite app - you will have a blast.  We even use it in the city.

39 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You are right - it's university now. My office is less than a mile from campus. I live south of there surrounded by state land, so not quite as urban as Utica is. Being from VT, I suppose you would call Utica urban haha....I did love my four years living in your beautiful state and attending Norwich University for my masters later on. Never made it to Enosburg Falls, but I did spend quite a lot of time in Eden. Can you believe people there still don't have running water and electricity (well some people). I understand it's by choice, but I don't think I'd want to make that choice. 

My son was mad at the name change because it ruins the National Anthem before games when the students would sing "oh say can UC...". I am definitely not one that lives without the creature comforts but yes, Utica in my eyes is most definitely "urban", especially since our village only has about 1700 people. I did love the drive from here to Utica, upstate has its beauty for sure. 

43 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Usually there is a platform on one of the upper decks best for viewing, ask your cruise line once onboard.  Before leaving home download the SkyView Lite app - you will have a blast.  We even use it in the city.

What a phenomenal idea, thank you so, so much for the app suggestion! I'm totally doing this.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not the same, but I was always annoyed at those that insisted on having their flashlight on when camping. If you let your eyes adjust, y ou can see so much without any light. 

That is one of my pet peeves. Along with the “helpful” guy who gets to the top of the dark stairs, then turns his cell phone light on, and aims it down the stairs . . . right into everyone else’s eyes. 
If you’re going to use a flashlight and shine it all around, get a §@#&,% red filter!

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I used to live in Yellowstone, so traveled all over the western parks. The best evening I had was gazing at the stars from Swan Lake Flats near Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone. We were able to turn the car off, kill all the lights and just stare for hours with minimal traffic that late at night. 

I canoed the Green River through Canyonlands one week with friends and the stars there, deep in the canyon were mesmerizing. Since we were camping, there were no super late nights, but I remember around 10 or 11 and oh, the view was just stunning. Thanks for reminding me about those epic nights! 

Canyonlands may be one of the most underrated of the national parks. I drove that Shafer Trail there last year. Took all day but what an amazing ride.

5 minutes ago, smears said:

Canyonlands may be one of the most underrated of the national parks. I drove that Shafer Trail there last year. Took all day but what an amazing ride.

Big Bend, Fort Davis and the Guadalupe aren’t bad either.  Those clear desert skies are excellent. Go in the winter 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

That is one of my pet peeves. Along with the “helpful” guy who gets to the top of the dark stairs, then turns his cell phone light on, and aims it down the stairs . . . right into everyone else’s eyes. 
If you’re going to use a flashlight and shine it all around, get a §@#&,% red filter!

Yessssss!!!! UGH I'm so glad others know the struggle. I once was walking out of the Grand Canyon at the North Rim - I made it just past Ribbon Falls when I turned back for the day - and my eyes had adjusted to the dark. There was a group of people at the top waiting for their friends to return...they had at least 5 flashlights shining right in my eyes when I got there. I was forced to use my flashlight for the last mile to the campground. I was so upset! 

7 minutes ago, smears said:

Did you ride, like bike ride, the Shafer Trail? That's insane if you did, and good for you! 

If you drove, are you sure you didn't drive the White Rim Trail along the river? That could take all day, or a few days! The Shafer Trail took my buddies and I about an hour. We did have a four-wheel drive Nissan X-Terra, so I could see if you took a sedan how it would take forever to not scrape the undercarriage. 

Thanks for the reminder of that glorious place! Every time I go to Moab I think I could live there, then after a day or two I realize how insane an idea that is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Big Bend, Fort Davis and the Guadalupe aren’t bad either.  Those clear desert skies are excellent. Go in the winter 

Thanks! I will have to add them to the list. I haven't been to those three. 

On more than one occasion I’ve witnessed a ranger “educating” a visitor about appropriate light discipline. 

The North Rim has great dark skies as long as you don’t want to see the western sky. @$#&* Las Vegas

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

THIS!! I don't know if Bermuda is far enough south to see a different sky. I remember seeing the southern cross a very, very long time ago (I was 16 in Chile). I definitely want to see the southern hemisphere stars again. If not in Bermuda, then sometime in the future. 

Bermuda isn't far enough south to see the Southern Cross--I've seen it several times now in trips below the equator.  I'd love to visit Bermuda some time though!

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Did you ride, like bike ride, the Shafer Trail? That's insane if you did, and good for you! 

If you drove, are you sure you didn't drive the White Rim Trail along the river? That could take all day, or a few days! The Shafer Trail took my buddies and I about an hour. We did have a four-wheel drive Nissan X-Terra, so I could see if you took a sedan how it would take forever to not scrape the undercarriage. 

Thanks for the reminder of that glorious place! Every time I go to Moab I think I could live there, then after a day or two I realize how insane an idea that is. 

Took a honda hrv, which is basically a jacked up honda fit made into a tiny suv. A bit smaller than the crv. I we came in and went down those switchbacks at the beginning and killed some time along the way and ended up coming out of the other side of the park. 

10 hours ago, smears said:

Took a honda hrv, which is basically a jacked up honda fit made into a tiny suv. A bit smaller than the crv. I we came in and went down those switchbacks at the beginning and killed some time along the way and ended up coming out of the other side of the park. 

Shafer Trail it is - sorry about that! Just didn't think you could spend so much time on the trail...although stepping out to explore the desert would be amazing. I've done that at a few places - I felt like a darned 8 year old at Capital Reef jumping from red rock to red rock. 

I was trying to find a cruise connection...but I couldn't haha

11 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Bermuda isn't far enough south to see the Southern Cross--I've seen it several times now in trips below the equator.  I'd love to visit Bermuda some time though!

Thanks! I definitely wasn't sure given it's not exactly close to the equator. 🙂

Bermuda is a lovely country, full of such wonderful and hospitable people. The beaches are quite lovely too - just beware the man o' war in the spring. 

19 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not the same, but I was always annoyed at those that insisted on having their flashlight on when camping. If you let your eyes adjust, y ou can see so much without any light. 

I"ve been a "covid camper" for the last two years.  Some of the campsites are lit up like a fast food joint!  

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

THIS!! I don't know if Bermuda is far enough south to see a different sky. I remember seeing the southern cross a very, very long time ago (I was 16 in Chile). I definitely want to see the southern hemisphere stars again. If not in Bermuda, then sometime in the future. 

The Southern Cross (Crux) can be seen from the northern hemisphere, but Bermuda's latitude puts it too far north. We used to see it from the tropics, so below 23 N. Best guess is that it is visible from south of about 25N. Hawaii should work.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:14 PM, Mary229 said:

I don't know what the SkyView Lite app is, but you just reminded me of a cruise we did during which a special moon was to appear.  A few of us were out on deck to watch for it.  We knew the direction in which it was to rise.   A woman behind us called out "There it is!"  We looked, we didn't see anything.  "It's right there, wow, it's beautiful!"  Still nothing.  Eventually we learned that she was watching something on her phone, presumably from a different location.  When we did finally see the real thing, it was worth the wait.

• Haha 1