Can I move a booking FROM a TA to Celebrity

Sox Fan Cruiser

Just had a really bad experience with my travel agent and my booking was almost really messed up.  Luckily I caught their mistake and had it corrected.  

I know that people book with Celebrity sometimes and then move it to a travel agent.  But I can do it the other way around?  Could the travel agent just delete my booking?  Will they charge me a penalty?

I never use a TA and would rather deal with my Celebrity Planner who is much more proactive and responsive.  (I didn't have a Planner at the time and needed some help.)  They didn't give me any special deal or anything like that.  It's the straight Celebrity pricing from the website. 

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

3 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Just had a really bad experience with my travel agent and my booking was almost really messed up.  Luckily I caught their mistake and had it corrected.  

I know that people book with Celebrity sometimes and then move it to a travel agent.  But I can do it the other way around?  Could the travel agent just delete my booking?  Will they charge me a penalty?

I never use a TA and would rather deal with my Celebrity Planner who is much more proactive and responsive.  (I didn't have a Planner at the time and needed some help.)  They didn't give me any special deal or anything like that.  It's the straight Celebrity pricing from the website. 

I am booked both ways and find the TA much better than calling Celebrity. Ridiculous hold times to get someone on the phone, and you have the buying power of just yourself. TAs, especially those that specialize in celebrity cruises, are able to buy rooms in bulk and often offer incentives that you won’t get directly from the Celebrity because they are booking hundreds…thousands of rooms, not one. It sounds like you have a terrible TA. None of this answers to the question you asked 😒

I don’t believe that I will ever keep a reservation with any cruise line based on my experience in the Crystal bankruptcy. I had a reservation with Crystal using one of their agents. Their offices were closed and all agents lost their jobs leaving  me on my own. A private TA could have been an asset.

Edited by Orator

1 hour ago, letsgogogo said:

I am booked both ways and find the TA much better than calling Celebrity. Ridiculous hold times to get someone on the phone, and you have the buying power of just yourself. TAs, especially those that specialize in celebrity cruises, are able to buy rooms in bulk and often offer incentives that you won’t get directly from the Celebrity because they are booking hundreds…thousands of rooms, not one. It sounds like you have a terrible TA. None of this answers to the question you asked 😒

I have a GREAT cruise planner with Celebrity (as well as one with Princess). He calls me back right right away and there is no sitting on hold for hours. 

And  to be honest, I had a horrible experience with a bulk purchaser.  A so called “weathly cruiser” agency told me that “these are the cabins I have, either take them or don't. I’m not doing extra work for you”. Not the “wealthy” experience I was looking for or willing to pay extra for. 

I booked this through them because I have a bunch of cabins that I’m paying for myself. I wish I did it myself now. 

hard call these days...if you have a contact (planner) and communication is good I would say do all possible to get it turned back to a direct booking. TAs these days vary greatly in expertise...some are

really valuable and some have not even cruised.  Lots of caution needs to be taken if booking with an agent. I also like to book air directly with the airline to control route/seating and have direct access to the booking to note changes as airlines are not informing passengers let alone cruise lines of changes. good luck.

Read your fine print with the TA.  Sometimes you have a certain amount of time to do it in, sometimes not at all, sometimes with a fee.  Going the otherway around, X to TA you have only 30 days from booking to move from X to a TA.  They are firm on that.

18 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I've changed TA's mid stream and relatively painless.  Some paperwork to fill out and about a 2 week lead time.  Amazing how I got a phone call, finally, from my TA asking if everything was alright!!!!!

So how did you do it?  Talk to Celebrity?  Talk to the agent?

2 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

So how did you do it?  Talk to Celebrity?  Talk to the agent?

I had called them to see what I had to do.  I was to fill out a form and fax it into them.  They would contact the agent and say that they are being removed as the booking agent.  The agent then called me to find out why and I told them bluntly that "I've tried to contact you multiple time regarding different issues and you basically ignored me".  I'm in a workshop, I'm on a cruise, I'm doing something but I'll call you: but you never did.  I didn't like doing that but if I'm spending almost 10k with you, I expect professionalism instead of being brushed off.  Also, I'm not talking about little things; I'm talking about saving hundreds of dollars on the same room; I'm talking about moving up to a better suite etc.

The TA has to agree to give up the booking or X otherwise has to figure out that they're not reliable.  There has to be a valid reason.  If X tried to contact the TA in the example above and didn't get an answer back, there you go.  That to me seems different than you finding a mistake before the TA did.  That is just my opinion, though.  You ultimately have to contact X to get the process started but be prepared with a solid rationale.

We’ve only booked with a TA once and that was enough for us. A complete disaster she could never get the booking right. We never changed anything that would have complicated the booking.

We always book directly through Celebrity with our contact and never had an issue. But a lot of cruisers have good TA’s but of course can’t share on CC.

Like everyone has said on here just contact Celebrity and get the ball rolling.