RETREAT Frustrations

10 hours ago, canderson said:

No.  Think of a CS as a larger SS.  Additional stuff doesn't kick in until you book RS or above.

You should receive contact from a shoreside concierge about reservations, however.  If not, reach out to them at the Retreat number.

Since you have to pay for your reservations and can do it on line, why would a shoreside concierge call to make reservations?  Or are you talking about some other type of reservations?

Guest 4-2-N-8
1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Since you have to pay for your reservations and can do it on line, why would a shoreside concierge call to make reservations?  Or are you talking about some other type of reservations?

Booked an Edge Villa on Beyond for a 7-night Caribbean cruise in a few months and same Edge Villa for an 11-night Mediterranean cruise over the summer.

Don't need or want attention of a "butler" or Retreat Host for anything pretentious. No need to parade me anywhere. I am pretty good with directions and communicating on my own.

Having said this, please, fetching drinks will do fine. And at regular intervals.

Can I count on a "butler" (or someone  else) to deliver drinks?

It's sometimes the simple things that matter most. 🙂

Edited by 4-2-N-8

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Both.

It's possible that the shoreside concierge will be able to make a dining reservation for a date/time that does not appear in the planner.  If in a RS or above, you can wait to deal with this aboard, but they can help you out with it in advance.

They can arrange reservations for other events that aren't available in the online planner.

As an example, I thought it would be fun to take 'the kids' on a Behind the Scenes tour on their first S class cruise, and those don't show up anywhere in the cruise planner for our cruise - not under Excursions, and not under Onboard Activities.  Shoreside was able to find out from the ship when these would be held and got us a reservation for a specific date/time.

They can also straighten out screw-ups with other reservations - like when you make a spa appointment for something like 2:30pm on embarkation day and the confirmation email comes back with 11:30am - and boarding doesn't start until 11:30am!  I'll never do THAT online again!

If you get a good shoreside concierge, they can manage a fair number of things in advance other than reservations, too.  I had a B2B for 15nts that would have involved a bar setup of 2L x 2 of some liquor or another.  No way we could go through a gallon in 15 nts!  Traded half of it for a couple of bottles of a specific and VERY serviceable Barolo that went for a good bit more than the 1L bottles of hooch.

1 hour ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Booked an Edge Villa on Beyond for a 7-night Caribbean cruise in a few months and same Edge Villa for an 11-night Mediterranean cruise over the summer.

Don't need or want attention of a "butler" or Retreat Host for anything pretentious. No need to parade me anywhere. I am pretty good with directions and communicating on my own.

Having said this, please, fetching drinks will do fine. And at regular intervals.

I've been in an Edge Villa many times and they've never offered to deliver drinks, and I've never asked. Some have reported getting an occasional cocktail from their butler, but it is not a standard service. 'Regular intervals' would be extraordinary.  You will be very close to the Retreat bars where you can get as many drinks as you want.  I don't know how many other cabins your butler will be responsible for, but 10 or even 15 is not unheard of. You can have wine, beer and liquor with mixers stocked in your suite. 

• Like 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
11 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I've been in an Edge Villa many times and they've never offered to deliver drinks, and I've never asked. Some have reported getting an occasional cocktail from their butler, but it is not a standard service. 'Regular intervals' would be extraordinary.  You will be very close to the Retreat bars where you can get as many drinks as you want.  I don't know how many other cabins your butler will be responsible for, but 10 or even 15 is not unheard of. You can have wine, beer and liquor with mixers stocked in your suite. 

Mixers are a happy medium.

Would not seek time of "Butler" otherwise, so long as shoreside can line up my dining/spa schedule pre cruise.

Edited by 4-2-N-8
Duplicate answer

1 hour ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

Technically butlers do not deliver alcoholic beverages to your room no matter what suite you are in. If all suite guests (or even just upper suite guests) expected this all the time butlers would be run off their feet just delivering drinks. Personally, whilst we do use our butler to occasionally check or sort reservations for us if we want a drink not in our bar set up we will usually go and get it ourselves. 

However, many have reported that butlers will get beverages for them.

To help your butler I would suggest the following…

Obviously when choosing your bar set up spirits and sodas pick the ones you are most likely going to enjoy in your suite. Ask at the start for any lemons, limes etc you may want. It can be an idea to choose one spirit you are likely to use as a cool mixer during the day and the other being your late at night tipple.

If you can predict what drinks you are likely to want and at what time of day then let the butler know in advance. For example, specific cocktails to be delivered at 5pm. If he knows in advance he can fit your requests around those of other suite guests. 

Be tolerant with timing, you could phone requesting drinks at a time he is serving other guests in room food service.

Avoid asking for service  at the time  the butlers have other duties. For example, serving afternoon tea in the Retreat Lounge at 4pm. Remember your butler does have some time each day off duty. If you phone your butler at that time another butler will take the call.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 hours ago, chemmo said:

Technically butlers do not deliver alcoholic beverages to your room no matter what suite you are in. If all suite guests (or even just upper suite guests) expected this all the time butlers would be run off their feet just delivering drinks. Personally, whilst we do use our butler to occasionally check or sort reservations for us if we want a drink not in our bar set up we will usually go and get it ourselves. 

However, many have reported that butlers will get beverages for them.

To help your butler I would suggest the following…

Obviously when choosing your bar set up spirits and sodas pick the ones you are most likely going to enjoy in your suite. Ask at the start for any lemons, limes etc you may want. It can be an idea to choose one spirit you are likely to use as a cool mixer during the day and the other being your late at night tipple.

If you can predict what drinks you are likely to want and at what time of day then let the butler know in advance. For example, specific cocktails to be delivered at 5pm. If he knows in advance he can fit your requests around those of other suite guests. 

Be tolerant with timing, you could phone requesting drinks at a time he is serving other guests in room food service.

Avoid asking for service  at the time  the butlers have other duties. For example, serving afternoon tea in the Retreat Lounge at 4pm. Remember your butler does have some time each day off duty. If you phone your butler at that time another butler will take the call.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise.

I just hope servers around the ship aren't overwhelmed and have ample time to take orders/deliver drinks (by main pool, up on retreat deck, other bars, etc), as I've read in this forum that passengers have resorted to handling their own orders due to staff being MIA.

And hopefully, no chair hogs, especially in the Retreat area.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8
9 hours ago, JFontaine said:

You mention that you've stayed in many EVs. Which ships/room numbers, and did you find any one of them a better side of ship or location?

RE the plunge pool on the balcony, is it an actual pool or hot tub, able to maintain a constant temperature?

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I just hope servers around the ship aren't overwhelmed and have ample time to take orders/deliver drinks (by main pool, up on retreat deck, other bars, etc), as I've read in this forum that passengers have resorted to handling their own orders due to staff being MIA.

And hopefully, no chair hogs, especially in the Retreat area.

I have found the Retreat Servers up on the Retreat Deck to be extremely efficient.  Both cruises were Caribbean based (warm weather - so Retreat Deck was full) and the Retreat was sold out for both cruises.  I never felt like I had to wait an uncomfortable amount of time for a refill. 

As far as chair hogs, sadly they are an issue all aspects of cruising - including the Retreat Pool Deck.  One morning about 7:00 am, I went there after visiting the gym for a stretch and little mediation & there were already people putting personal towels, shirts, books and other items to "claim their space" before heading off for whatever else they wanted to do.  When I came back at 9:30 am; sure enough, no one was sitting in their claimed areas and their setup looked the same as it did 2 hours prior.  Oh Well.  

• Like 2

Guest 4-2-N-8
17 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

I have found the Retreat Servers up on the Retreat Deck to be extremely efficient.  Both cruises were Caribbean based (warm weather - so Retreat Deck was full) and the Retreat was sold out for both cruises.  I never felt like I had to wait an uncomfortable amount of time for a refill. 

As far as chair hogs, sadly they are an issue all aspects of cruising - including the Retreat Pool Deck.  One morning about 7:00 am, I went there after visiting the gym for a stretch and little mediation & there were already people putting personal towels, shirts, books and other items to "claim their space" before heading off for whatever else they wanted to do.  When I came back at 9:30 am; sure enough, no one was sitting in their claimed areas and their setup looked the same as it did 2 hours prior.  Oh Well.  

If they are let to feel no shame, the bad behavior will not stop.

I think this applies to any aspect of society, but why are chair hogs tolerated?

Shameful behavior.

Not that it should be up to crew to solve it, but are there signs or do crew ever move away unattended belongings?

1 hour ago, canderson said:

A couple if these might be fun to play with ... one per abandoned chair.  Point them out to attendants when set to 60...

41fqAC+cyKL._AC_SY780_.jpg

This. Right. Here.

This would be awesome. Sadly it would only be entertaining to the people who set it there since the culprits would of course be no where in sight.

3 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

You mention that you've stayed in many EVs. Which ships/room numbers, and did you find any one of them a better side of ship or location?

RE the plunge pool on the balcony, is it an actual pool or hot tub, able to maintain a constant temperature?

Thank you.

Frankly I don't remember cabin numbers, but I've stayed on both sides of the ship. I'm a sun lover, and the EV gets sun only part of the day.  It's hard to predict which side in port.  I don't have a favorite cabin.  They are all very quiet, I've never heard a neighbor inside or outside. 

It's a pool, not a hot tub capable of maintaining heat. It is drained every night.  I've been told not to fill it myself. I ask that it be filled at 2.  It's too hot for me then, but by about 3 or 3:30 it is good,  until about 6:30.  

Guest 4-2-N-8
28 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Frankly I don't remember cabin numbers, but I've stayed on both sides of the ship. I'm a sun lover, and the EV gets sun only part of the day.  It's hard to predict which side in port.  I don't have a favorite cabin.  They are all very quiet, I've never heard a neighbor inside or outside. 

It's a pool, not a hot tub capable of maintaining heat. It is drained every night.  I've been told not to fill it myself. I ask that it be filled at 2.  It's too hot for me then, but by about 3 or 3:30 it is good,  until about 6:30.  

Good to know. Appreciate your feedback.

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

This. Right. Here.

This would be awesome. Sadly it would only be entertaining to the people who set it there since the culprits would of course be no where in sight.

Might be entertaining for all present when the whatever has been parked on the chair (other than the owner's keister) is whisked away! 😏  DING!  Crew might even get some applause for responding.  If you let them know ahead that the timers are set, it's at least slightly more likely they'll feel obligated to respond.

Guest 4-2-N-8
34 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I am never going to book in the Retreat section of Celebrity 

From what I read it appears it is a living hell ! 😱

I'm skeered.

20 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

AGREE 100%. The Celebrity Suite was a one and done for us. The bathroom is terrible and the "bedroom" is very tight. I would much rather be in a SS or RS (if budget allows).

An RS....sure...  an SS, I don't think compares at all to a CS.  Its more than a little extra space, I am referring to the "S" class ships with a walk in closet, huge balcony, large living area (albeit with an over large coffee table), 2 entrances to the bath, 2 TV's. What's not to love?  

We are about to experience our first on an "E" class ship when we sail on the Apex, but expect we will love it too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, canderson said:

Both.

It's possible that the shoreside concierge will be able to make a dining reservation for a date/time that does not appear in the planner.  If in a RS or above, you can wait to deal with this aboard, but they can help you out with it in advance.

They can arrange reservations for other events that aren't available in the online planner.

As an example, I thought it would be fun to take 'the kids' on a Behind the Scenes tour on their first S class cruise, and those don't show up anywhere in the cruise planner for our cruise - not under Excursions, and not under Onboard Activities.  Shoreside was able to find out from the ship when these would be held and got us a reservation for a specific date/time.

They can also straighten out screw-ups with other reservations - like when you make a spa appointment for something like 2:30pm on embarkation day and the confirmation email comes back with 11:30am - and boarding doesn't start until 11:30am!  I'll never do THAT online again!

If you get a good shoreside concierge, they can manage a fair number of things in advance other than reservations, too.  I had a B2B for 15nts that would have involved a bar setup of 2L x 2 of some liquor or another.  No way we could go through a gallon in 15 nts!  Traded half of it for a couple of bottles of a specific and VERY serviceable Barolo that went for a good bit more than the 1L bottles of hooch.

Sorry, I was asking about your comment related to a CS booking.  When I stay in a RS, I never make my own reservation in advance myself (because I do not want to be charged and then refunded).   It is done by the shoreside concierge.    

Edited by jagoffee

18 hours ago, 4-2-N-8 said:

I have only stayed in an Edge  Villa once and I could not have been any closer to the Retreat Bar.  I have never asked my Butler to deliver a drink, but I have not doubt that they would if I asked.

47 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

An RS....sure...  an SS, I don't think compares at all to a CS. 

Using that logic an RS in no way compares to a CS. The huge bathroom with separate tub/shower, the separate guest bath, large dining table and unlimited speciality restaurants and bar setup.

Isn’t it great we can all make our own choices for what is best for each of us?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
38 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I have only stayed in an Edge  Villa once and I could not have been any closer to the Retreat Bar.  I have never asked my Butler to deliver a drink, but I have not doubt that they would if I asked.

I was more asking if enough servers exist to handle drink orders in retreat spaces, not my cabin.