CDC Ends Cruise Ship Protocols?

imacruiser99

The Sale Safe Banner has been removed on the EU Site and the one cant view the return to sail info which was available earlier , looks like they are updating it.

We are sailing to Bermuda from NY traveling from Ireland so this would be great if its one less thing to worry about. 

Edited by Keith.W
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

because some people do work for a living, they don't have time to constantly respond to every thread or read every thread for that matter. :-)...

Doesn't take much effort to scan the first 2 pages of threads to see if a possibly hot topic has been posted.  Instead, everyone wants to feel like they got "the scoop" and just click the "new thread" button...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

Doesn't take much effort to scan the first 2 pages of threads to see if a possibly hot topic has been posted.  Instead, everyone wants to feel like they got "the scoop" and just click the "new thread" button...

and it doesn't take much effort if you see a repeat thread to just overlook it instead of making a big deal about it, or trolling the OP who started the new thread.

Just now, spanishguy1970 said:

and it doesn't take much effort if you see a repeat thread to just overlook it instead of making a big deal about it, or trolling the OP who started the new thread.

I wasn't trolling anyone here, just commenting on the multiple threads comment...

• Like 2

Since Europe and (likely) the US will be dropping the test requirement, Bermuda might be the only remaining clunker on our upcoming transatlantic.  I'd rather NCL would dump them off our itinerary.  For most people who cruise out of NYC Bermuda is in the "been there done that" category.  I doubt Bermuda will change the requirement because, like Cayman, they are a wealthy island and can do nicely without tourist dollars.

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

I wasn't trolling anyone here, just commenting on the multiple threads comment...

Yeah.  I "started it," and it was posted in a joking manner (not critical, just observing human behavior which is often quite entertaining). 🤣  Can't we all just be delighted that the witch is dead? 🥳🎉🎈

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Keith.W said:

The Sale Safe Banner has been removed on the EU Site and the one cant view the return to sail info which was available earlier , looks like they are updating it.

We are sailing to Bermuda from NY traveling from Ireland so this would be great if its one less thing to worry about. 

Please let us know if/when they update the EU Site.

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

This is great news...hopefully no test for our September Alaska cruise 😎

Canada still requires vaccination and pre-cruise testing for any cruise ships in Canadian waters or ports. 

2 hours ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I have hope that as Bermuda become more of an outlier, they will be embarrassed enough into dropping the requirement.  Right now it is a foreign revenue stream that supports Travel Authority jobs.

Do you really believe that they will be embarrassed being the outlier?!  Trust me, they won’t, if/when they drop it will be on their terms.  I for one just won’t pay it, I find Bermuda boring anyway even if I don’t get off the ship, just won’t waste my time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

Interesting news today!   Will it change NCL?

There is still ArriveCan and Bermuda and who knows where else, but perhaps we are learning to live with it.

Canada has already updated their entry requirements. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry but cruise travel still requires testing.

Edited by reeinaz

5 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

The section you are quoting was recently updated for random arrival testing. The section for cruise travel is at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise and still shows vaccination and pre-departure testing required. 

5 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

The section you are quoting was recently updated for random arrival testing. The section for cruise travel is at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise and still shows vaccination and pre-departure testing required. 

I think we were posting at the same time. I already amended my post 🙂 

2 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

because some people do work for a living, they don't have time to constantly respond to every thread or read every thread for that matter. :-)...

Wow!

14 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

Lots of rejoicing and handwringing. Perhaps everyone should wait to see what the CDC actually says in their revised guidance when it is posted in a few days. 

CDC is still recommending cruisers are vaccinated and test 3 days before and 5 days after. It's in the hands of the cruise lines now. IMO cruise lines will slowly remove protocols to match those in other areas of the travel industry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

Yes, I think you are reading it correctly. The entire Cruise Ship Guidance section of the CDC website now has a banner that says :As of July 18, 2022, CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect and this page will no longer be updated."

NCL hasn't updated their Sail Safe web page yet, but they probably need some time to figure out what this all means for them.

they have to run everything by legal first and do some risk assessment (as do all the lines).  As of now their crews are relatively safe from getting covid (more safe than any retail/hospitality industry job), so they have to figure if it’s worth dropping it at the risk of having potential increases in staffing interruptions.

6 hours ago, Tippyton said:

But Canada....😒

Lemme see....August 28th departure.  Must test no earlier than August 25th, to ensure I dont bring Covid to Victoria on....September 3rd?  FFS.

Spot on ..... Canada is a thorn right now . It is so stupid ......

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hallux said:

i didn't mean you per se. I have been here since 2010 and is been my experience that some people spend their time on here complaining about repeat threads,  or even post rude comments when they don't like something an OP posts and i simply stated that if someone sees a repeat thread, overlook it, period the end. Some spend every day all day posting constantly ,some who just joined cruise critic but a year ago or less, which is fine, if you have the time, knock yourself out.

Edited by spanishguy1970

What everyone is missing here is that the CDC will have "Guidance."

In government speak, that means, "our guidance is not a "shall" requirement, but a "should" suggestion."

The guidance can be ignored, but if a problem arises that could have been avoided by following the guidance, the regulatory requirements ("shall" ) will quickly be applied and all types of problems (think legal liability) will be attached very rapidly by those wishing to cash in.

Cruise lines may wish to follow the voluntary guidance in the near future to avoid legal complications.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, shof515 said:

i doubt bermuda will do anything. they seen the money they earned last year when it was $75 dollars per person. I was surprised they lowered the cost to only $40 dollars. Bermuda government will do anything to keep the fees in place to earn that extra money 

I am perfectly happy paying the $40 fee to Bermuda! So long as my insurance continues to cover the test...if it doesn't, well at least it's only $100 or so. Not a lot after spending more than $5k on a five day cruise. Bermuda is a beautiful country and I'm totally fine paying their fees to enter. 

17 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Ugh...people need to find a job they can post and work at the same time! So sad if they can't get on Cruise Critic and dream about their next vacation all day. Only when I travel for business do I not look too closely on here...well business travel and my weekends. 

• Like 1