Husband is worried about quarantine

zitsky

He plans to mask and is vaccinated.  He just gets crazy thinking about quarantine.  Any suggestions for calming him down?  I asked him, why not cancel our 2022 cruise and do our 2023?  He said, no I want to go on this year’s cruise.

Where’s the best place to find the protocols for quarantine?  Here or on Celebrity.com?

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Where’s the best place to find the protocols for quarantine?  Here or on Celebrity.com?

Information on the seemingly ever-changing protocols are crowd-sourced by the fine people here on CC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

There are no published consistent  protocols that I have seen.  From reports on CC ( which you may have seen) from those who have been quarantined it is likely that if you test positive you will be moved to a Oceanview cabin.  Meals will be delivered and left outside your door as will fresh linens.  You will probably have access to the in room movies at no charge, a staff member may contact you daily to check on you.  Quarantine seems to be a minimum of 5 days and I believe it takes 2 negative tests to get out of quarantine.

38 minutes ago, zitsky said:

He plans to mask and is vaccinated.  He just gets crazy thinking about quarantine.  Any suggestions for calming him down?  I asked him, why not cancel our 2022 cruise and do our 2023?  He said, no I want to go on this year’s cruise.

If your Hubby is that freaked out over being quarantined on a cruise ship don't cruise this year wait until this thing is over.  I hate, hate, hate going to the dentist and I freak out just thinking about going. That's why I don't vacation at my dentist's office. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

You don't say how long your cruise is; the shorter, the less risk. Tell him the chance of him going into quarantine,  especially if you are both careful, is  very low. 5%?  Less?  So 95% chance of no quarantine.   Pretty good odds. 

• Like 2

OP,  you comment frequently on here.  Surprised you are asking where to find protocols for quarantine, it’s not consistent as I’m sure you know.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 6

If you are flying, don’t go. More chance of getting Covid + by being in the airport, planes, crowds. 7 days is good if he is that anxious. ….tell him to stay off news, et al. Fear is not good for immune system 

3 hours ago, JFontaine said:

You don't say how long your cruise is; the shorter, the less risk. Tell him the chance of him going into quarantine,  especially if you are both careful, is  very low. 5%?  Less?  So 95% chance of no quarantine.   Pretty good odds. 

The highest rate I have seen reported on a Celebrity ship and have experienced on 2 cruises is 3%. 

7 hours ago, JFontaine said:

This was my concern too, so we cancelled a 24 day cruise and now leave for a 7 day cruise at the end of this week, and another one at the end of September.

I have a concern about quarantine, too, for our. upcoming cruise on the Apex in November. Fortunately, for us, this is a "get away" trip to be on the water so the ports are not that important to us. I think it would be harder if the ports are the primary goal of the cruise.  That will be our situation next summer.

I think the best way to ease anxiety is both to be aware of the risk of quarantine, which is actually quite low, and also to have a Plan B in case it happens. In other words, bring things that would help fill the day and think about strategies for getting some activity. Personally, if both of you are in agreement, I would ask (in a very nice but firm way) if there is anything I could do to make it possible to stay in my cabin. Then, if it simply isn't possible, ask the questions I need to ask in order to know how to make the most of quarantine. Internet, room service, menus, beverages, etc.  Also, bring items that would keep you occupied. There are creative things you can do online if the internet cooperates, such as playing games with spouse or other friends, etc. And you can always report in to CC for advice. 🙂

We fly in the day before our cruise so we will do the eMed antigen test from home before fly and then our own personal antigen before we board. That way we have a clean test (hopefully) to show for boarding. Then we will self-monitor and self-isolate if symptoms or personal testing warrants. If there is a problem, we will notify medical.

Finally, if anxiety is too much that one can't really enjoy the cruise, it is totally OK to try another time. However, if anxiety is manageable, then this is a good time to try to see if cruising is OK. 

Good luck!

There are ways to minimize risk.  For instance, driving down to Florida is one suggestion.  However, in spite of all of the precautions I took at home, I came down with Covid.  At least when I was home quarantined, I was able to sit outside and walk about the yard and take a drive.  I don't know how I would have done being in a room-- even in my home.

If there is a significant worry about being quarantined, then stay home and wait for the conditions to improve.  

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

From reports on CC ( which you may have seen) from those who have been quarantined it is likely that if you test positive you will be moved to a Oceanview cabin.

Inconsistency seems to be the only consistent thing. My wife and I are currently quarantined on the Beyond after testing positive on Day 7 of a 10-night cruise and they allowed us to stay in our Sky Suite. I'm not sure if they are treating suite guests differently or if the protocol is just different here, but it sure makes things a lot more pleasant than if we were moved to an Oceanview cabin.

It really isn't half bad. Although I'd probably prefer to be in my own bed at home, COVID with room service is better than COVID without room service, and the view out the window changing daily is a nice added bonus.

Edited by Sykes
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sykes said:

I'm not sure if they are treating suite guests differently or if the protocol is just different here

...or that there's so many cases, they've simply run out of isolation cabins.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Many people avoid quarantine and isolation by just choosing not to report their symptoms.  I am not condoning this.  Just a fact. 

I think "many" is an understatement. To take it a step further, a friend of mine told me he went to medical on a recent cruise with symptoms and was encouraged by the staff there NOT to submit to being tested because "if you test positive, I'll have to quarantine you."

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  He is a smart guy but sometimes smart people are hard to reason with.  It’s like people who are afraid of spiders.

I’ll review the Celebrity protocols.  Thanks for the info about isolating.  I may develop a severe case of claustrophobia if we come down with Covid.

Is it true that Celebrity moves you to a suite if you are in isolation?  😂

I will try to have some what if scenarios.

They absolutely do NOT move you to a suite.  In fact, in most cases, they move you OUT of a suite if quarantined.  

If there is ANY  chance of quarantine you will not find me on a ship, I cancelled our APEX trip and moved it to next Summer to be sure.  I am vaxxed and have had Covid twice.  There is no reason to quarantine (or test) in my opinion but while Celebrity chooses to have these unrealistic and inconsistent 'policies' I will stay on land.  Headed to Hawaii in a couple of weeks and it doesn't sound like a miserable trade off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CU64 said:

If you are flying, don’t go. More chance of getting Covid + by being in the airport, planes, crowds. 7 days is good if he is that anxious. ….tell him to stay off news, et al. Fear is not good for immune system 

Agree and neither is drama

18 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

It is not worth getting crazy just to take a cruise. Give it a year and see how things go

Give it a year.  Said this in 2020.  Said this in 2021.  Now again in 2022.  Maybe you should change the outlook to decades instead of years.  More likely.  So let's just treat it like every other infectious disease and move on with it.  Exercise some caution when and where necessary.  But move on with it.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

I think "many" is an understatement. To take it a step further, a friend of mine told me he went to medical on a recent cruise with symptoms and was encouraged by the staff there NOT to submit to being tested because "if you test positive, I'll have to quarantine you."

Just curious ... which line?

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Just wondering about crew.  Stopping testing and quarantine is one thing for those who are vaxed and boosted, but I wonder if most crew have been vaxed and boosted.  Anyone know?

All crew were required to vax as part of the restart protocol.  No idea about boosters.