When ArriveCAN Gets It Wrong...

Fouremco

I had a similar issue.  It was back when testing was required.  Everything was filled out and I did not need to quarantine when I got home.  I wasn't selected for the random test (this is one trip, on another I did). 
I started recieving emails about my quarantine.  I ignored them. Eventually someone called to check on me and I explained.  They fixed it. 
It wasn't a big deal for me because I wasn't planning to cross again soon but it is frustrating. 

• Like 1

I had it where I didn't need to quarantine, filled out everything correctly. Days after arrival started getting emails saying I needed to quarantine and kept sending reminders for it and then it started sending me a follow up for testing which I wasn't required to do nor given a test. It was a complete mess and caused so much confusion on what to do

Tried to fill out Arrcan app for three days prior to our arrival back in April. I kept getting an error code. Told this to the custom agent and she asked if we were vaccinated. We said yes and she waved us through. 

Bob

• Haha 1

Just now, d9704011 said:

The article doesn't shed much light on what the supposed ArriveCAN glitch was.  More related to complaining about AC insurance and the current government's efforts to make travel as needlessly complex as possible.

Agreed. It would be nice to know what the app issue was. Maybe the details will surface in other reporting.

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Agreed. It would be nice to know what the app issue was. Maybe the details will surface in other reporting.

I sort of doubt it.... I don't believe ArriveCAN was really the problem in this case; just too many moving parts involved in filling things out completely and correctly.  At least they got home.  I was in Zurich last week and saw a couple groups of Canadian scouts at the McDonald's near the train station.  They have a lot different trips than I had, which usually revolved around canoes and tents at parks in Ontario.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I sort of doubt it.... I don't believe ArriveCAN was really the problem in this case; just too many moving parts involved in filling things out completely and correctly.  At least they got home.  I was in Zurich last week and saw a couple groups of Canadian scouts at the McDonald's near the train station.  They have a lot different trips than I had, which usually revolved around canoes and tents at parks in Ontario.

Having read a number of media reports, there's a consistent theme that there was a problem with the app. After one of the Scout's parents spoke to local MP Shelby Kramp-Neuman (Hastings—Lennox and Addington) about the problem, the latter told CTV “I think we do need to look at why this situation occurred; and it appears the ArriveCAN app is, once again, the culprit”. Now, I'm not so naive as to think that an opposition MP wouldn't take advantage of any available opportunity to take a shot at an increasingly unpopular  Liberal program, there do seem to be more problems being reported.

Even today, most apps aren't totally free of the occasional glitch. When you consider how frequently this particular app has been overhauled to meet the GOC's constantly changing border strategy, I'd be very surprised if ArriveCAN didn't experience the odd hiccup.

Assuming they’d already run through the process with the portion of their group who made it onto the flight, it does point to the app as being the problem.  Was it a problem with the way one of the adults was processing his/her group of kids?   Would love to know but I doubt we will.  Since they got it resolved in time to watch their flight take off, it seems the app may not be as intuitive as it should be.  I’m guessing they didn’t start earlier in the process with the 72 hours they had to work out the kinks.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, broberts said:

It amazes me how many more complaints I see about using ArriveCAN compared to cruise line on-line check-ins. 🙂

People have been suffering with the cruise line apps and websites for so long now they've just kind of built all that in to the process.  ArriveCAN is relatively new and a great whipping boy especially as the traveller doesn't really get to enjoy any particular benefits by doing it other than avoided problems at the airport and/or immigration.  There is no buffet lunch waiting on the other side of the picket line!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Another case, but finally an admission that there is a technical glitch in the app that CBSA is trying to fix:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/arrivecan-app-glitch-tells-vaccinated-eastern-ontario-travellers-to-quarantine-1.5995471

53 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Another case, but finally an admission that there is a technical glitch in the app that CBSA is trying to fix:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/arrivecan-app-glitch-tells-vaccinated-eastern-ontario-travellers-to-quarantine-1.5995471

Too bad they put that 'CBSA working around-the-clock' business in the story... they almost had me!!

Seriously though, I agree with you that with all the changes foisted on the app developers/maintainers in short time periods it's no surprise there are glitches (and outright failures) from time to time.  By and large, my experience with ArriveCan was pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/20/2022 at 1:50 PM, d9704011 said:

There is no buffet lunch waiting on the other side of the picket line!

You may be onto something here. Maybe if people knew there was an "all you can eat" buffet in the baggage area it would reduce the ArriveCan complaints and the frustration with delayed/lost baggage. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The app is easier to  filling out than  stupid form that we use to fill out on a plane home 

the government needs to keep the app just make sure that RCL , Rogers or IBM IT department are not working on it 😁

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/arrivecan-app-quarantine-glitch-1.6528312

It might be easier for some to fill out but definitely not easier if you are one if those caught up in the admitted "glitch".  This app has had issues since we were caught up in it returning from Europe last October.  No progress is being made as far as I'm concerned if Canadians are treated as criminals when returning home.  If they can't get it right....give it up and put their manpower into fixing the messed up passport debacle.

Enough is enough.

Edited by Ayden
  • Like 1