The worst cruise we have experienced.

kcmufan

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We live in Florida and usually have that option of choosing a newer ship. 

Why anyone who has that choice would consider an old ship is puzzling.

Maybe they just love the older design or the itinerary?

Neither of which are important to us since we visit the Caribbean numerous time a year. 

I actually prefer the older ships. I prefer smaller ships than larger ones. Though I have stayed far away from Caribbean Princess.

I have to fly wherever I go and the ports are the destination, not the ship.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Neither of which are important to us since we visit the Caribbean numerous time a year. 

While we cruise the newer ships too, I actually don't like their layout--no promenade deck and very few areas where you can actually see or connect to the sea, as well as tiny balconies and sometimes confusing layouts as well.  

I have known about problems with the Caribbean Princess for years, however, and probably wouldn't book it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

maybe, an older ship is what they can afford. Or some other reason.

The only reason we ended up on CB in 2016 is because the Regal Princess cruise we wanted to go on with our friends no longer allowed bookings with kids in our son's age group. Yes, I didn't know it was possible either. Our friends got on Regal with their slightly older kids but we couldn't, so we booked the only other cruise sailing during that same week out of Port Everglades.

At this point in time we won't book CB. We only cruise 1-2 times a year, so we have to choose wisely.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

33 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The only reason we ended up on CB in 2016 is because the Regal Princess cruise we wanted to go on with our friends no longer allowed bookings with kids in our son's age group. Yes, I didn't know it was possible either. Our friends got on Regal with their slightly older kids but we couldn't, so we booked the only other cruise sailing during that same week out of Port Everglades.

At this point in time we won't book CB. We only cruise 1-2 times a year, so we have to choose wisely.

What is CB?

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

You asked this question in post #35 and it was answered in post #37.

Okay, thank you.  I forgot.  is this some type of acronym travel agents use?  I dont think the normal cruiser would have any idea what it means.

have a nice cruise on the CB or whatever ship you happen to go on

14 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

Okay, thank you.  I forgot.  is this some type of acronym travel agents use?  I dont think the normal cruiser would have any idea what it means.

I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg, but if you use the Princess website to look at a deck plan, if you look up at the webpage address you will see that it always ends in a two letter abbreviation, with each ship being unique. The abbreviations are listed at the top of page 3 of this thread at post #51.  Some people around here get very OCD about the proper use of the abbreviations when in fact if they took three extra seconds, they could simply type out the name of the ship.  How much effort is it to type "Ruby" or "Crown"? 😁   Happy cruising.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg, but if you use the Princess website to look at a deck plan, if you look up at the webpage address you will see that it always ends in a two letter abbreviation, with each ship being unique. The abbreviations are listed at the top of page 3 of this thread at post #51.  Some people around here get very OCD about the proper use of the abbreviations when in fact if they took three extra seconds, they could simply type out the name of the ship.  How much effort is it to type "Ruby" or "Crown"? 😁   Happy cruising.

Okay thank you. There is an airline forum you can hardly even read with all the abbreviations they use.  Do you know if there are other acronyms for say Royal Caribbean or Carnival ships? 

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I actually prefer the older ships. I prefer smaller ships than larger ones. Though I have stayed far away from Caribbean Princess.

I have to fly wherever I go and the ports are the destination, not the ship.

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

While we cruise the newer ships too, I actually don't like their layout--no promenade deck and very few areas where you can actually see or connect to the sea, as well as tiny balconies and sometimes confusing layouts as well.  

I have known about problems with the Caribbean Princess for years, however, and probably wouldn't book it.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I suppose everyone has their reason for liking an older ship but the aging problems come along with it and you should be prepared to accept them from time to time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

A good place to find out would be the Royal and Carnival forums.

I will go take a look, but i dont think i have ever seen an acronym for a specific cruise ship on the other boards.  I know they abbreviate like CCL or RCL or HAL because those are obvious, but not sure why CB would mean Caribbean princess.  What does the B stand for?

3 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

What does the B stand for?

The B is from the word Caribbean.

As you can see from this older list CP was already taken at some point, and there are several other Princess ships with names that begin with the letter "C".

• CB - Caribbean Princess

• Co - Coral Princess

• KP - Crown Princess

• DP - Dawn Princess

• DI - Diamond Princess

• EP - Emerald Princess

• NP - Golden Princess

• AP - Grand Princess

• IP - Island Princess

• GP - Regal Princess

• RP - Royal Princess

• RU - Ruby Princess

• SA - Sapphire Princess

• CP - Sea Princess

• TP - Star Princess

• SP - Sun Princess
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

I will go take a look, but i dont think i have ever seen an acronym for a specific cruise ship on the other boards.  I know they abbreviate like CCL or RCL or HAL because those are obvious, but not sure why CB would mean Caribbean princess.  What does the B stand for?

There is a B in Caribbean. CP was already taken by the Sea Princess (SP had already been taken by the Sun Princess). 

5 minutes ago, prmssk said:

There is a B in Caribbean. CP was already taken by the Sea Princess (SP had already been taken by the Sun Princess). 

But then why is the crown princess  KP instead of CW?  What does the K stand for?

8 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The B is from the word Caribbean.

As you can see from this older list CP was already taken at some point, and there are several other Princess ships with names that begin with the letter "C".

• CB - Caribbean Princess

• Co - Coral Princess

• KP - Crown Princess

• DP - Dawn Princess

• DI - Diamond Princess

• EP - Emerald Princess

• NP - Golden Princess

• AP - Grand Princess

• IP - Island Princess

• GP - Regal Princess

• RP - Royal Princess

• RU - Ruby Princess

• SA - Sapphire Princess

• CP - Sea Princess

• TP - Star Princess

• SP - Sun Princess

Some of these acronyms make no sense whatsoever.  Regal princess is GP and Grand princess AP?  And what’s with the KP?  There is no K in crown princess at all.  I guess they are trying to get cute with CP because you pronounce it sea p?

20 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

Some of these acronyms make no sense whatsoever.  Regal princess is GP and Grand princess AP?  And what’s with the KP?  There is no K in crown princess at all.  I guess they are trying to get cute with CP because you pronounce it sea p?

None of this really matters. It's out of our control and affects nothing.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

None of this really matters. It's out of our control and affects nothing.

I guess, unless it gets to the point everybody needs some type of chart to decipher some of the posts here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

I guess, unless it gets to the point everybody needs some type of chart to decipher some of the posts here.

Like this: “I was on KP in the MDR with pre-booked DMW and the DRO told me that I could use the OBC that my TA gave me for a wine tasting but we opted to go to the PES reception instead.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

But this is about the Caribbean and that’s long…😂

Just kidding you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I suppose everyone has their reason for liking an older ship but the aging problems come along with it and you should be prepared to accept them from time to time. 

Does this apply to people agest too?  

Yes, I was on the Caribbean Princess when she went dead in the water after leaving the Grand Cayman Islands pre-Covid.  It was a most interesting experience.  The ship listed slightly to one side (port).  The lights blinked.  It was eerily quiet.  She was already having propulsion problems.  

Was I concerned?  No, I did not run up to my muster station with my life jacket.  I looked at it as an experience that I would never have had.  The Captain came on immediately and explained the situation.  Everything was rebooted and we were on our way.  Glad it was during the day.  

At my age, I am just happy to be on a ship.  Ship destinations 35%/Ship experience 65%.  I stand by my loyalty to Grand Class ships over the Royal class.  We will age gracefully together.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Just like there is vanilla and chocolate there is the line in the sand concerning ship choice.  Many like the choices and bells & whistles that the new larger ships provide while others still yearn for the smaller ships that provide a more traditional approach to cruising that was the norm 25 years ago.  There is no right or wrong choice since there are clientele that prefer one type over another and it helps bring in more monies to the coffers for each cruise line.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

If I'm wrong I'm pretty sure I will be corrected 😉, but I believe the abbreviations weren't necessarily intended for passenger (or Cruise Critic) use.  Rather they are intended for internal use and have been co-opted by this forum.  As long as the folks at Princess know what each acronym means we should be all set. 😃

• Like 8